First Armor Set

Hey guys, I've been doing some research into buying a good set of stormtrooper armor and my research has brought me here. So from what I can tell I want to avoid the commercially available armor on Amazon on such. What's the opinion on the armor sold on originalstormtrooper.com? From what I can tell it all looks pretty authentic but you guys are definitely the experts here and I would greatly appreciate any input I could get.

Long story short, it's most likely best to avoid originalstormtrooper.com. There is far more to the story than that, but I'll let the more experienced folks chime in on that. :)

If you stick to this list of sellers here on FISD you certainly won't be sorry. Always better to go with what is known to be quality than to take a gamble on external sites that aren't recommended, especially when you're spending a decent amount of money to get started!

Hey guys, I've been doing some research into buying a good set of stormtrooper armor and my research has brought me here. So from what I can tell I want to avoid the commercially available armor on Amazon on such. What's the opinion on the armor sold on originalstormtrooper.com? From what I can tell it all looks pretty authentic but you guys are definitely the experts here and I would greatly appreciate any input I could get.

I got a SDS - aka Shepperton Design Studios - aka Original Stormtrooper - outfit. (Battle spec) I'm happy with it :) I have changed a couple of things, like metal clips on the detonator, canvas belt instead of the supplied ABS belt, but that's about it.

I wanted a kit to wear immediately, and it fit the bill. Lots of members here seem to hate the company, but my experience was a good one.

Same here. Got the SDS battle spec. Changed the belt and detonator clips. And it's great. Having 2 kids I would have never found the time to build my own and I'm far too impatient to wait anyway.

I'm slowly adjusting the armour to fit a bit better, like trimming the thighs etc. It was a good all round package if you ask me and whatever people say it has provenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Got the SDS battle spec. Changed the belt and detonator clips. And it's great. Having 2 kids I would have never found the time to build my own and I'm far too impatient to wait anyway.

I'm slowly adjusting the armour to fit a bit better, like trimming the thighs etc. It was a good all round package if you ask me and whatever people say it has provenance.

What bits exactly are you having to trim? I'm 6ft and (fortunately) the kit seems to fit me almost perfectly. Just need to adjust the shoulder straps before I glue them at the front.

Thighs are a bit loose for me I can get my arm in the as well as my leg. I'm only 5 foot 8 so I might have to take a bit of the length of the thigh too. It fits fine as it is but just tweaking it to be a bit better. Will probably glue the thighs and arm sections shut. Don't need the Velcro as I can just slide then on.

Hey guys, thanks for the timely response. My main priority for this armor would be to wear it at ComicCon here in SD in July, so basic authenticity and ease of wear out of the box are of the most important to me. I'm 71" and am used to having to alter things a little bit to get them to fit correctly, I just don't think I'd have the time to put together a whole armor kit from scratch and sets from orginialstormtrooper looked like the best out of the box. Any ideas on how 501st ready the pieces are out the box?

Hey guys, thanks for the timely response. My main priority for this armor would be to wear it at ComicCon here in SD in July, so basic authenticity and ease of wear out of the box are of the most important to me. I'm 71" and am used to having to alter things a little bit to get them to fit correctly, I just don't think I'd have the time to put together a whole armor kit from scratch and sets from orginialstormtrooper looked like the best out of the box. Any ideas on how 501st ready the pieces are out the box?

I don't think they ship to the US do they? Not directly, anyway. You'd need to check that.

Things i've done or added so far have been: Change detonator plastic clip to aluminium clips, change belt for canvas belt, bought boots (and painted), made neckseal, made leather holster, bought blaster.

Apart from a few minor tweaks, I don't think there's much else to do for basic 501st level.

Have a look at the EIB requests page - There have been a couple of Spanish guys who have submitted requests with SDS armour - Maybe those threads will help.

Edited by humperdingle

I don't think they ship to the US do they? Not directly, anyway. You'd need to check that.

Things i've done or added so far have been: Change detonator plastic clip to aluminium clips, change belt for canvas belt, bought boots (and painted), made neckseal, made leather holster, bought blaster.

Apart from a few minor tweaks, I don't think there's much else to do for basic 501st level.

Have a look at the EIB requests page - There have been a couple of Spanish guys who have submitted requests with SDS armour - Maybe those threads will help.

Yeah, they don't ship to the US but I've got a friend in Canada who is conveniently coming to visit in a month so I've made arrangements for them to be the middleman if I decide to pull the trigger with their armor. Their combo package looks like it comes with just about everything I would need out of the box, except for the boots which are not hard to find elsewhere.

Yeah, they don't ship to the US but I've got a friend in Canada who is conveniently coming to visit in a month so I've made arrangements for them to be the middleman if I decide to pull the trigger with their armor. Their combo package looks like it comes with just about everything I would need out of the box, except for the boots which are not hard to find elsewhere.

Aah, gotcha.

Which one were you looking at? Battle Spec or the more expensive one?

This is my daughter in the SDS suit... Bear in mind that she's super-skinny and only 5'2" ish. Please ignore the jaunty pose :D

image_zps8kvrymid.thumb.jpg.7f8c4aafabc91160c2eda11516c28a51.jpg

And me in it... I'd been jumping around like a complete tool, so the shoulder bells are a bit mental i've since changed the shoes and belt:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/humperdingle/image_zpsdnryvuzk.jpeg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

The battle spec combo. Seems like a good entry point into this hobby :)

Folks say it's too expensive. "You can get better elsewhere for less", is a common response. I got my set next day delivery, ready-to-wear, albeit not 501st approved out of the box. But depends what you want out of it. I wanted ready-to-wear, which gives me time to work on bits whilst still being able to use it. PM me if you need any measurements, other Qs etc :)

I think we all agree that morally it's best to steer well clear of original stormtrooper , almost everything he claims on his website is lies. ...he certainly has no original moulds , that's been proven many times .<br>

If you want accurate armor , trusted vendors , and shipping direct to the USA , why not try RS Propmasters in the uk ? They do ready to wear suits , with no modifications required .

I think we all agree that morally it's best to steer well clear of original stormtrooper , almost everything he claims on his website is lies. ...he certainly has no original moulds , that's been proven many times .<br>

If you want accurate armor , trusted vendors , and shipping direct to the USA , why not try RS Propmasters in the uk ? They do ready to wear suits , with no modifications required .

I checked out that site and it was a tad more expensive than I was looking for. The Battlespec combo that pretty much comes with everything I need for around 800 Euro and is ready to wear out of the box appears to be what I was looking for, as I can make minor adjustments to make it 501st legal as that's something I would like to pursue, but my first priority is having a full suit of armor with props for Comic Con and maybe even some events before. 

I think we all agree that morally it's best to steer well clear of original stormtrooper , almost everything he claims on his website is lies. ...he certainly has no original moulds , that's been proven many times .&lt;br&gt;

Hmm, OK, well, I know nothing of that. I wasn't looking to buy a story, just armour, which I'm happy with :) Edited by humperdingle

Actually, I take that back, I just looked at their full set and it even has free shipping directly to me... it's about 500 Euro more then what I was looking at before but if the quality difference is as much as you guys have made it out to be, I think it would be worth it, and save me the hassle of having to go through a middleman to get the armor shipped to me. RS Prop Masters it is.

• Like 1

Actually, I take that back, I just looked at their full set and it even has free shipping directly to me... it's about 500 Euro more then what I was looking at before but if the quality difference is as much as you guys have made it out to be, I think it would be worth it, and save me the hassle of having to go through a middleman to get the armor shipped to me. RS Prop Masters it is.

That worked out well :)

Excellent choice, RS Prop Masters makes some excellent stuff!