drunken hutt's AP ANH Stunt TK build

So after 4+ months of waiting for AP's TK armour to be built with his new molds I finally received it late this week in the mail

Big Brown Box Day:

b8797cb19bc51d4417761e50bab0de61.jpg

And here is everything unpackaged:

f9f3887b57a7f6ed8c03e4e95b51bc50.jpg

Under the advice of the local garrison I bought an Ozito rotary tool (an Australian competitor to the Dremel) to trim the plastic.

3303fd86ed0bedb9f986e4e1c863b5c0.jpg

Because I'm new to the whole assembling/ constructing business I'm going to be taking big baby steps and start with trimming the smaller pieces first, like the ears and shoulder straps.

To avoid any nasty mistakes I'll bring the larger pieces to the local armour parties/ shed nights to get the experienced troopers to help me work on them.

I'm just about to start trimming the AB buttons and I noticed that there are three large buttons contained in squares:

8677db2c0fcafe9629d60a672e24ce8f.jpg

Does anyone know what these three buttons are used for? I haven't been able to find them in the CRL. Cheers.

those are the 3 cover caps that go on main belt, IMPORTANT!!! don't do the same mistake many do when trimming the 5 button panel,  leave approx. 1/8"  lip all around, same for the shoulder straps.  

Have fun building!

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80

Good call by Mark there, Kieren.  Here is an ab plate detail photo of one of the best AP builds I have seen.  James (JDTrooper) did an AWESOME job on this!!

IMG_2432_zpsey6eleonapab_zps00bebllt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates. I have not made as much progress as I would have hoped due to committments and study eating into my free time, but here is what I've done so far:

The AB panel piece is trimmed and sanded using sanding belt (leaving 1/8" i.e 3mm around the edge)

IMAG0152_zpsm05hfrxv.jpg

Trimmed and mostly sanded the knee ammo piece and ammo belt

IMAG0137_zpsjou6sksy.jpg

IMAG0136_zpshwyizs1j.jpg

Rough trim of the forearms, lower leg, bicep and shoulder armour

IMAG0142_zpspcbdbmrs.jpg

Forearm armour further trimmed and rough fitted. Due to my scrawny arms, I have a lot more plastic to remove!

IMAG0159_zpskwxjmub2.jpg

And that's where I'm up to :) One step at a time with no time frame for estimated completion.

Because the forearm pieces are quite big relative to my arms, does this mean attempting to use the butt-joint method would be impractical, even after trimming more and getting rid of the extended corners?

Edited by drunken hutt

You don't look like you have a lot of space by the elbows which may bite while trooping. There should be approximately a 1/2" gap between your armor and your body. This will make the space in the wrist a bit larger but will be filled in and less noticeable when you have your gloves on - hope that helps mate

Before I trim off the returns around the wrists and elbows, can I confirm the forearm pieces are even on the correct arms? I don't believe they were labelled left or right before I started cutting them unlike the lower leg armour.

I was wondering the same thing...about identical arms. Answers that one then. There is apparently a difference with the screen ones, with the left being curvier on one side.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Forearms have been assembled using the cover strip and butt joint method. I personally preferred the look of it over clamshelling. Cover strips have also been placed along the inside for extra support. Super glue was used with clamps and 10mm rare earth magnets to fasten the adhesive drying. 1200 wet grit was used to smooth the pieces after foolishly getting super glue stains all over them.

IMAG0238_1_zpscncyu69o.jpg

IMAG0253_zpsfdqsyniw.jpg

I will need to trim the forearms a bit more once I finish and fit the biceps on, as that will tell me how well both sets of pieces fit together.

Here's your's truly with the forearms on:

IMAG0241_1_zpssiprmrxi.jpg

Obvisouly they look big, but I plan to make the forearms tighter fitting by placing foam inserts inside, plus I'll be wearing the gloves when the trooping happens. And you never know if I'll decide to do some weights and beefen these arms :P

One issue while glueing one of the outer cover strips on the below forearm was that as I was applying the strip one of the forearm sides slightly overlapped the other one, meaning the strip was glued downwards at an angle. This has created a gap beneath the bottom half of the strip, as circled below. My attempts to glue the strip down have failed, so I have asked the local garrison for their advice and it has been suggested that I use either silicon sealer, white acrylic or white bog filler. My only concern is that these fillers will be a different tone of white than that of the armour itself, which has a grey tone to it. I do not want the filler to become too noticeable, where it may be evident some patchwork has been made. I was thinking I could perhaps heat the scraps of ABS i have into a putty like substance to fill in the gap, but I know it wouldn't be as strong as the commercial grade sealants.

Any thoughts on what to do?

3fa4a6d4-0eb6-42f8-bfcc-040b956e46db.jpg

Edited by drunken hutt
  • Like 1

You CAN fill the void with ABS paste, but in all actuality, I bet it won't be that noticeable when you get everything together. I would go ahead and work on other parts of the armor, and if you still want to fill it later, you can always do so.

Forearms have been assembled using the cover strip and butt joint method. I personally preferred the look of it over clamshelling. Cover strips have also been placed along the inside for extra support. Super glue was used with clamps and 10mm rare earth magnets to fasten the adhesive drying. 1200 wet grit was used to smooth the pieces after foolishly getting super glue stains all over them.

IMAG0238_1_zpscncyu69o.jpg

IMAG0253_zpsfdqsyniw.jpg

I will need to trim the forearms a bit more once I finish and fit the biceps on, as that will tell me how well both sets of pieces fit together.

Here's your's truly with the forearms on:

IMAG0241_1_zpssiprmrxi.jpg

Obvisouly they look big, but I plan to make the forearms tighter fitting by placing foam inserts inside, plus I'll be wearing the gloves when the trooping happens. And you never know if I'll decide to do some weights and beefen these arms :P

One issue while glueing one of the outer cover strips on the below forearm was that as I was applying the strip one of the forearm sides slightly overlapped the other one, meaning the strip was glued downwards at an angle. This has created a gap beneath the bottom half of the strip, as circled below. My attempts to glue the strip down have failed, so I have asked the local garrison for their advice and it has been suggested that I use either silicon sealer, white acrylic or white bog filler. My only concern is that these fillers will be a different tone of white than that of the armour itself, which has a grey tone to it. I do not want the filler to become too noticeable, where it may be evident some patchwork has been made. I was thinking I could perhaps heat the scraps of ABS i have into a putty like substance to fill in the gap, but I know it wouldn't be as strong as the commercial grade sealants.

Any thoughts on what to do?

3fa4a6d4-0eb6-42f8-bfcc-040b956e46db.jpg

White dap silicone using spit on your finger to wipe away excess also works.

Just make sure than when your removing the excess to try and wipe the silicone into the gap.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

A caulking gun was used to insert white Silicone filler beneath the cover strips of the forearms. This was the first time I'd used one, so there was much fun to be had :)

IMAG0342_zpsiljy6p3k.jpgIMAG0345_zpsgy0oketv.jpg

After this I used a combination of T-Cut, Turtle Wax and Novus grade 2 plastic polisher to bring back the ABS shine after the initial sheen was removed due to wet rubbing with sand paper to remove the glue and Silicone stains.

Biceps have been assembled and Silicone also inserted underneath the cover strips due to some small gaps that I couldn't managed to flatten while clamping:

IMAG0352_zps39jbglga.jpg

Currently I am working on the shins and going through the process of trimming and cutting coverstrips for the front areas. Like many guys here I will clamshell the back using white velcro, while making sure that each side correctly overlaps the other. Hopefully pics will follow soon.

Edited by drunken hutt
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Apologies for neglecting to update this thread in almost a year. I was placing all my attention into the local garrison thread where the bulk of my updates where being posted.

Well, I am happy to say that as of 22 February 2017 I was officially approved by the 501st Southern Dewback Garrison in South Australia as a TK ANH Stunt. My ID is TK26173. I've done one troop so far (at a shopping centre supporting a charity) and it was a very enjoyable experience getting to put smiles on peoples' faces and high-fiving kids who were ecstatic to see Star Wars characters in real life! 

K1_zps6qtlzpxg.jpg        K2_zpshrjtvgat.jpg

Apologies for neglecting to update this thread in almost a year. I was placing all my attention into the local garrison thread where the bulk of my updates where being posted.

Well, I am happy to say that as of 22 February 2017 I was officially approved by the 501st Southern Dewback Garrison in South Australia as a TK ANH Stunt. My ID is TK26173. I've done one troop so far (at a shopping centre supporting a charity) and it was a very enjoyable experience getting to put smiles on peoples' faces and high-fiving kids who were ecstatic to see Star Wars characters in real life!

K1_zps6qtlzpxg.jpgK2_zpshrjtvgat.jpg

Congratulations brother! Great to finally see you join the ranks - sweet job on that armour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk