Shhhh a quiet fx rebuild

Great idea Jeff though I was wondering if maybe we should suggest moving the connection at the chest to back plate connecting strap instead, or did I miss a step here.

IMG_7251b.jpg

That's what I did. But instead of moving the snaps I swapped the straps over and and rotated them which gives the same result as moving them down. I need to do a test fit yet, but hopefully this will resolve the issue. If not I will give Jeffs idea a go. Maybe both ways of needed!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's what I did. But instead of moving the snaps I swapped the straps over and and rotated them which gives the same result as moving them down. I need to do a test fit yet, but hopefully this will resolve the issue. If not I will give Jeffs idea a go. Maybe both ways of needed!

Before:

27696290d3af7574c630af589a55db79.jpg

After:

9f3208ef51e422b124c0fb6141b9f888.jpg

• Like 1

On a side note......

I was planning on working on my armour today. But the boys room was in need of a little tlc (he's 15 so you can imagine the state of it) Anyway, I picked up a battlefront poster and standee from work a couple of weeks ago. The boy had a plan for a themed wall with his blasters mounted etc. So I thought I'd give him a little surprise when he gets home.....

a4c3fee05121c985ce5e80b6b12fd88e.jpg

Edited by CTID
  • Like 2

Not been doing much of late. Quite simply the reason being I was putting off doing the cover strips. I just could not face the score, snap, sand, score, snap, sand. How monotonous. Anyway I finally brought myself to begin. I think on the next build I will get these out of the way as early as possible. BORING!

be729ae53928f4e52c11207219e62c70.jpg

ec2b032ba21a0b540b9ac85ba18fe239.jpg

As Tony said, think the build has gone as far as it can in terms of getting cleared and probably won't pass basic. But it has been a great learning curve for me so far, and I can't wait to pass it on to my son. I will take all my learnings into my next build of an RWA kit. Please, as always, your feedback is much appreciated as I want to get it as close as I can.

Sorry you misunderstood me, it WILL pass basic 501st.

Edit: clarification, if you have the correct helmet you shouldn't have a problem passing basic. If you have any question please ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sorry you misunderstood me, it WILL pass basic 501st.

Edit: clarification, if you have the correct helmet you shouldn't have a problem passing basic. If you have any question please ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sorry Tony, I did misunderstand you. I initially read your post as "it won't get cleared, and this is as far as the build should go." After going back I understand now, that you were talking about higher levels. Please accept my most humble apologies. As for the lid, yeah I'm aware of the need to change it out. Again, thank you for the clarification.

Breaks are healthy in a build, and progress is still progress!

When does your son get to find out?

Looking forward to reading the response!

Breaks are healthy in a build, and progress is still progress!

When does your son get to find out?

Looking forward to reading the response!

As soon as I can get it finished mate. Don't think I'm that far away now.

• Like 1

Sorry Tony, I did misunderstand you. I initially read your post as "it won't get cleared, and this is as far as the build should go." After going back I understand now, that you were talking about higher levels. Please accept my most humble apologies. As for the lid, yeah I'm aware of the need to change it out. Again, thank you for the clarification.

No worries mate, just wanted to make sure you knew you were in the green. Keep up the good work  :duim:

• Like 1

So what I still need to do.

Trim down shoulder bridges and refit.

Shin and thigh covers.

Aquire new holster and lid.

Move TD brackets closer to end caps.

• Like 1

Things to do, remove the cover strips and clean off glue. Your armor is "overlap" type. The overlap is considered a cover strip even at the EIB level.  :duim:

• Like 1

Things to do, remove the cover strips and clean off glue. Your armor is "overlap" type. The overlap is considered a cover strip even at the EIB level. :duim:

I thought overlap had covers added too?

• Like 1

No.

How it's supposed to work is since at Centurion (only) overlap is not allowed you have to physically split the overlapped sides, equally trimming back on each side (10mm) the approximate width of the leg cover strip (20mm). Butt the two halves together (not overlapped) then connect them with the cover strip. Hence the term "Butt & Strip" connection.  ;)  :duim:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So. I recieved my aluminium strip to make my TD clips. The question is this....what lengths do they need to be? What's the distance upto the 90° return (clip part) and what distance do the screws go in? Also what type of screw?

Oh, so many questions!

• Like 1

So. I recieved my aluminium strip to make my TD clips. The question is this....what lengths do they need to be? What's the distance upto the 90° return (clip part) and what distance do the screws go in? Also what type of screw?

Oh, so many questions!

gallery_12157_59_144574.jpggallery_12157_59_18095.jpggallery_12157_51_32017.jpggallery_12157_51_33329.jpg

• Like 2

A little work on the TD

before

0ff3e3f8ce37257b1f0f92972babe16a.jpg

Inverted the nipple

e1260766b9b6cc25149cc170fab70b6b.jpg

After

d74e60d4736de48c3df0101377185325.jpg

Still some more sanding and another coat to do but looking a lot better.

• Like 1

A little work on the TD

before

Inverted the nipple

After

d74e60d4736de48c3df0101377185325.jpg

Still some more sanding and another coat to do but looking a lot better.

I was going to say square off the corners but it looks like you're out of room. Oh well roll with it  ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I've not been posting much of late for two reasons. The first being that there has been very little to report.

I have invested Alot of time and money in trying to revive this kit and get it clearance ready, with some success and some frustrations.

It still needs work. A new lid, knee ammo belt, pop rivets removing from the knee plate, new thighs etc etc.

Oh, and yes Tony.......the cover strips still need removing!!!!!! :) :) sorry!

Saying that, for now, I am leaving it as is......hopefully you will understand  why.......

I have posted before, my intentions for this kit. Which is the second reason for the lack of progress posts.

Here's a recap.

My son has shown a keen interest and has told everyone at school that he and his dad are building an armour kit. He has told all his friends online that he has stormtrooper armour.

Now, he doesn't see the difference between FX and other armours etc so with that in mind, and the investment needed to get this upto clearance level, I decided to finish this build as best as I could as it is.

I thought about the fact that if I could get it as close as I could and then hand it over to him, then if he decides he wants to go for clearance, in time we could work on it together. He on his first build side by side with his dad working on his RWA kit (once I've saved enough pennies!)

Armour party with your son, how cool would that be?

Being only 15 years old he's too young to join the 501st which gives him a good couple of years to either get this old kit upto scratch, or we could get him a new one if that's something he wants to do. He's still growing so I'm reluctant to shoot for the second option just yet!

Anyway, I thought today would be the perfect day to pass on my armour.

Whist he was at school I sneaked into his room and left a little white present on his bed.....

942b9d423e3bbf2c7af2160988a38081.jpg

....and left a little note beside it for him....

ff14b2a0ff34e38e6bdc82cc17fecec2.jpg

So he returns home from school after a long and tiring day. I ask "How was school?" To which he replies "fine"

I say to him "Why don't you go and get changed?" He agrees, and makes his way up to his room. Knowing what's waiting, I follow.

He opens his door and sees "my" armour on his bed. I can only assume he's expecting another test fit.

He notices a sheet of paper and begins to read it. I watch on, recording on my phone. I can see his expressions change as he reads on and then realises, the armour is now his. Bless him, he had tears in his eyes "I can't believe it. I think I'm in shock."

It may not yet have been cleared, and it's an old FX kit. And, with some more work we could get it through. But that doesn't matter to my boy. He now has his own armour and is on his way to be a  stormtrooper. That's all that matters to him, and that's all that matters to me.

So I guess that's the end of my old FX rebuild!

It's kind of sad to be honest. Although it's not going in for clearance, I believe it has been a success, I did intend to submit early on. But my goal changed, and that has been achieved.

I have had excitement, frustration and despair but I cannot express how much I have enjoyed the overall build. I can honestly say that the people of this community have made the frustrating times easier, and helped steer me in the right direction. You guys have been amazing and I honestly believe that many of the successful builds that I have have seen get cleared, could not have happened without your experience and support. Without you I could never have given my son this gift. Every single one of you guys are stars and I will be drawing on your experience in the not too distant future again!

I have already begun measuring up and populating a list for my next one!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/37001-Snaps-elastic-and-all-the-other-bits!

Once again, thanks all

Marc

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Marc. I do somehow feel responsible for your discouragement and passing the armor off. Please forgive me if I had added in any way to the frustrations. Like many of us have learned here, not all armor are created equal. You have to feel good in your armor if not you move to the next. I'm hoping the the experience wasn't all a bad thing. As you already know I've been following the other thread in anticipation. I'm looking forward to watching you taken what you've learned and apply it there.

On another note, your son is very fortunate to have a father that can see the positive in situation. One man's junk gift is another man's treasure.  ;)

• Like 1