Shhhh a quiet fx rebuild

Trimmed to 45°....next, to fit to the new belt I acquired from Ross via UKG along with covers

723dbc54491d6a4362109c49d3112f4d.jpg

Oh, what do I do with middle button? Sand down and replace with cover?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Had a thought.

Would it be possible to run abs paste down the seam, sand it down and polish it up? Or would this be too corrosive? 94f85ff251fd1ecca5d33bf89aed6f62.jpgd885bd4af97f0cd0db8377c52d323812.jpg

I saw a thread were a guy cleaned up gaps and filled in seams with white chauk/silicone. I think the thread may have been ATA for Tampa bay thread? I think...

I can look around if you'd like.

• Like 1

I saw a thread were a guy cleaned up gaps and filled in seams with white chauk/silicone. I think the thread may have been ATA for Tampa bay thread? I think...

I can look around if you'd like.

Sounds good!

Well the paste didn't work but if you look for the thread "An ATA for Tampa bay" and go to post #78 you can seethe caulk in action.

Edited by zv288bot

Well the paste didn't work but if you look for the thread "An ATA for Tampa bay" and go to post #78 you can seethe caulk in action.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33175-an-ata-for-tampa-bay/page-4

Got it!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ok so whilst I contemplate what to do with those thighs, I thought I would continue with the belt

Had a problem fighting with my rivet gun so decided to use poppers to attach it to the canvas belt. Hope this is OK, but it seems to work pretty well, and if for some reason I need to change belts it's an easy job.

Belts with poppers installed:

94de7335f86c5eb6873a3a7bc940a10c.jpg

9ece8ddb00be9324ff60c97f0bb4b6ff.jpg

Buttons (and belt) acquired from Ross on the UKG - thanks bud - ready to cut out and trim:

e67dc39fe6b14f3abf3a58ca4172653e.jpg

a4da0191428997bae757d71dfc742b6f.jpg

Finished cover:

30b078ec5bdd8465bafd3e283fc9fc15.jpg

Completed belt with covers installed:

41424cc86f5b3172f09202bb78b9d5f4.jpg

Edited by CTID
  • Like 2

Was having a scan through the boards the other night and came across this:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/26707-Cool-find-at-Radio-Shack.

Anyway, I thought I would have a look on the UK eBay site and tad ah!

2ea0098b2db25ab521fce52625c57add.jpg

It was the only one so I thought I'd make the purchase now whilst there was one available. Besides, I couldn't pass it up for £12.00.

Don't you just love those "Your item has been dispatched" notifications

I only hope it's as easy to assemble as everyone says!

Edited by CTID
  • Like 1

Looking at my knee ammo box. When I first assembled it I rounded off every edge.

Not sure if I can rescue it or not!

62f7428f8c631ac5b8d15ceab4ca8eb1.jpg

The TD was a mess too with that nipple thing!

e04e439ede55d64c9e09c438b35289ba.jpg

c1d12b045442ef3107e1d7e16e2156f8.jpg

So I have removed the nipple, inverted it and began sanding.

e722beae700ee831201fdc5e3f649f4b.jpg

Something landed in the mail today...

8c4a8f9db8642abd400246016136847e.jpg

Edited by CTID
  • Like 1

Been looking at the thighs again, and had an idea.

Here's how they look at the moment with cover strips. Nb they are not yet fitted just clamped whist I had a play with them.

da59111a7d0287a6ca15876100282e61.jpg

The inner side has no raised overlap / abs, so I can't do butt joint and the overlap method just isn't working. There's lots of shadow on the inner side and you can clearly see the glueing.

However, if I rounded of a thin strip of abs I could emulate to a degree the missing abs.

d570404c0d70af8333689ff621e27082.jpg

And here is the mock up.

70492185ae6e96088a018481d65d32c8.jpg

Again this pic is only clamped together. I wanted some feedback before I progress.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about your dilemma since the last PM and your idea was all I could think of with the addition of using silicone to the bottom of the cover strip seam your using to act as the raised edge to make it look seamless. Great idea mate!

The only other suggestion I can make is to prep and buff the "raised edge cover strip" prior to securing it.

2500 grit (available at Jewelry supply stores will bring your sanded round edge to a nice shine then you can use a 3m headlight restoration kit to make that bad boy shine like it was molded. (Oh just don't polish by the silicone after its affixed)

Cheers!

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Hey Marc so I want to make sure you understand the approval requirements before moving forward making any more improvements. At basic and EIB the overlap method is perfectly exceptable however, without correctly making the connection repairs (overlap to butt and strip), this is as far as this armor is going to go I'm afraid. Adding cover strips to make it look more accurate is one thing, to hide a required correction for approval is another. I'm not saying that's what your doing I just want to make sure you understood. Also, for L3 the chest will most likely have to be considerably altered being it's considered too big, and the back plate will have to be replaced for the same reason, it's too big unfortunately. 

The thigh ammo belt may have to be replaced unless you can adequately repair it by adding material to the overall length. There's just not enough material at the end to square off the top edge and still have the correct amount left over to mount it to the thigh. It looks like you're pretty creative so this may not be a issue for you.

I don't mean to discourage you I just wanted you to have all the facts before moving forward any further.

Hey Marc so I want to make sure you understand the approval requirements before moving forward making any more improvements. At basic and EIB the overlap method is perfectly exceptable however, without correctly making the connection repairs (overlap to butt and strip), this is as far as this armor is going to go I'm afraid. Adding cover strips to make it look more accurate is one thing, to hide a required correction for approval is another. I'm not saying that's what your doing I just want to make sure you understood. Also, for L3 the chest will most likely have to be considerably altered being it's considered too big, and the back plate will have to be replaced for the same reason, it's too big unfortunately.

The thigh ammo belt may have to be replaced unless you can adequately repair it by adding material to the overall length. There's just not enough material at the end to square off the top edge and still have the correct amount left over to mount it to the thigh. It looks like you're pretty creative so this may not be a issue for you.

I don't mean to discourage you I just wanted you to have all the facts before moving forward any further.

Thanks for the feedback Tony.

Could you have another look at the other pictures of my thighs. They are overlap method, I was under the impression that they could be cleared for basic in the current way they are assembled once all covers strips are in place.

I'm attempting to make them more aesthetically pleasing on the inside seam by dropping in a small strip in order to improve its appearance. Is this not allowed?

As always I really appreciate all the feedback I have had and advice I get.

I have asked the question about how I can improve them, and tried to express/get across my dilemma. Which has been on my feed for a while now with only one response. I have sent PM's out asking for help, and after not much feedback, I decided to have another look at them today.

I had a thought around what I could do to improve them. I am certainly not trying to hide anything or deceive anyone mate

As I've said before, I didn't know half of what I know now ( which still is very little! ) when I first assembled it all those years ago, so made loads of mistakes.

If it's no good or there is no way of fixing then I accept that. I am half way through, this build and my full intention is to use this kit to learn with - and finish it. I am also building this one to give to my son, as I am not too far from sourcing a new kit.

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Tony.

Could you have another look at the other pictures of my thighs. They are overlap method, I was under the impression that they could be cleared for basic in the current way they are assembled once all covers strips are in place.

I'm attempting to make them more aesthetically pleasing on the inside seam by dropping in a small strip in order to improve its appearance. Is this not allowed?

As always I really appreciate all the feedback I have had and advice I get.

I have asked the question about how I can improve them, and tried to express/get across my dilemma. Which has been on my feed for a while now with only one response. I have sent PM's out asking for help, and after not much feedback, I decided to have another look at them today.

I had a thought around what I could do to improve them. I am certainly not trying to hide anything or deceive anyone mate

As I've said before, I didn't know half of what I know now ( which still is very little! ) when I first assembled it all those years ago, so made loads of mistakes.

If it's no good or there is no way of fixing then I accept that. I am half way through, this build and my full intention is to use this kit to learn with - and finish it. I am also building this one to give to my son, as I am not too far from sourcing a new kit.

Cheers

Marc

Hey Marc sorry if my last post came across as accusatory, that wasn't my intention, I do apologize. Your thighs look fine (overlap method). If you wanted to give it that extra accuracy touch by adding cover strips I see your point, but to be honest I think they look just fine the way they are. Not only that the cover strips may make the ridge look too tall. That said, it's your armor and you can do with it what you like. Besides accuracy we also encourage creativity. What a boring world we'd live in if there wasn't any right? 

• Like 2

How's the abb and kidney join looking? Ok?

Excuse the fact I have removed the lid from the pics (fx too #embarrassed )

Also need to get a new holster

cd9c960e4bdfaf6084f01ae4e29792f3.jpg

4a873f5e26a2de5f7751582c7f9299bf.jpg

Edited by CTID

Something looks off with right side mate

aed7e475e6841a63d98a0ead6a0cd5e0.jpg

Yeah. With it being fx the ab is ab too long. Will be trimming it down. Is the gap ok though?

Would like to be a fly on the wall when you tell him

He will wet himself! He keeps coming home from school saying " can I try your armor on dad?"

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to catch up on your progress.  Nice work on the upgrades.  Very commendable to have ulterior motives as you complete this project so your son can troop with you.  Well done!

For the thighs, honestly, I'd leave them as they are.  The size of the strip created by the overlap looks appropriate and it would be approvable for basic and EIB. I'd be concerned that adding that additional cover strip and the smaller strip will make it look too bulky and thick.  I'm glad someone shared my idea of using caulk to fill and conceal the seams.

Now, for the answer to the shoulder bell question you have been looking for... Move the strap location.  If your shoulder keeps moving to the back, then move the fastener towards the back of the bell to force the shoulder to sit more forward.  I had the same issue and the adjustment solved my problem.  Hope this helps!

1gC5nwp.jpg

Also, you mentioned that you had a couple snaps that didn't like to stay snapped.  I had the same issue at my chest-to-ab straps and my shoulder bell to my shoulder strap.  They kept popping loose and I've need a handler to discreetly fix it for me.  I ended up adding commercial Velcro over top of the snaps so I will never have a snap issue there again.  They work perfectly, now.

Good luck and keep going!

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 3

Finally got a chance to catch up on your progress.  Nice work on the upgrades.  Very commendable to have ulterior motives as you complete this project so your son can troop with you.  Well done!

For the thighs, honestly, I'd leave them as they are.  The size of the strip created by the overlap looks appropriate and it would be approvable for basic and EIB. I'd be concerned that adding that additional cover strip and the smaller strip will make it look too bulky and thick.  I'm glad someone shared my idea of using caulk to fill and conceal the seams.

Now, for the answer to the shoulder bell question you have been looking for... Move the strap location.  If your shoulder keeps moving to the back, then move the fastener towards the back of the bell to force the shoulder to sit more forward.  I had the same issue and the adjustment solved my problem.  Hope this helps!

Also, you mentioned that you had a couple snaps that didn't like to stay snapped.  I had the same issue at my chest-to-ab straps and my shoulder bell to my shoulder strap.  They kept popping loose and I've need a handler to discreetly fix it for me.  I ended up adding commercial Velcro over top of the snaps so I will never have a snap issue there again.  They work perfectly, now.

Good luck and keep going!

Great idea Jeff though I was wondering if maybe we should suggest moving the connection at the chest to back plate connecting strap instead, or did I miss a step here.

IMG_7251b.jpg

Great idea Jeff though I was wondering if maybe we should suggest moving the connection at the chest to back plate connecting strap instead, or did I miss a step here.

That might be another way of solving the problem that I hadn't considered.  I can't take credit for coming up with the way I did it. Not sure if it was my attache or another helpful FISD member that suggested it, but it worked well for me.

They always said there was more than one way to skin a cat, I mean, build a TK!

• Like 1