supernaut11's ANH stunt build thread [AP]

Here it is! My brother and I's big ol pile of white armor! It's barely underway but I'm anxious for feedback and what better way to do that then to get a build thread going. As you can see we momentarily took over the living room but being that this not my house, I had to pack it all back exactly the way is was when I opened the box..... I think I nailed it.IMG_7300_zpsntdvfvad.jpgIMG_7301_zps3mi60a7v.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure why it posted all funky like that but this is exactly why I didn't make a long post with several pictures.. It certainly didn't look like that when I was composing it. I'm on a Mac using Safari. If anyone has an idea what I did wrong please let me know.. Cheers!   

The post contents are just centered... I don't think it's Safari doing it, though. Maybe you hit one of the buttons in the editor?

In any case, congrats on the two sets, and I'm definitely looking forward to how you two go about making these!

Thanks! Yeah, it's highly likely that I did something in the editor. I was having trouble placing text between the two pictures so I settled for all the text up top. But it stuck the last half of the last sentence off to the side like that.. Oh well. Funky looking or not, I'm going to have a build thread. ;)

• Like 1

For no particular reason I decided to start on the shins first. For the most part the score lines on this kit are very visible. Nonetheless, after labeling the halves I penciled in the lines and got to it. Being a first timer, I was a bit intimidated with the idea of running a sharp blade all over my nice, new shiny armor. But honestly, there's nothing to it. The advice I would give to anyone who hasn't tried the method is go slow and deliberate. Use the same amount of pressure as if you were drawing a steady line with a pencil. On the second pass, same speed with slightly more pressure. By the third or fourth pass, it was ready to snap. I'm sure it's less for the more experienced but take your time and it'll work just fine.

IMG_7306_zpsoacmiwbv.jpg

A combination of tin snips and a box cutter..

IMG_7309_zpsvddjkwlp.jpg

And bam!  ;)

IMG_7310_zpsunzlmp7t.jpg

• Like 2

Just a quick update.. Long day at work and I'm super tired (What else is new?) . Aside from the seams, which will be trimmed later for gluing and fitting, they're done. After rough trimming I chose to hit the rough spots and round out the corners using my dremel, then finished it up with 150 grit sandpaper. If any of you eagle eyes see anything that doesn't quite look right, or notice anything that is worth mentioning, please let me know! I'm looking forward to the expertise! IMG_7342_zpsqoj8pfrd.jpg

IMG_7347_zpsf8u7urvx.jpg

And then there's this guy I have to contend with.  ;)

IMG_7321_zps7c2hyudu.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good to my eye, although I'm no expert... Oh, you may wish to remove a little hair around the nose area... Or do one of those poodle hairdos... Oops, sorry, thought we were talking about the little guy you have to contend with lol

• Like 1

Quick virtual armor party question! While trimmimg the inner right thigh piece, I noticed an odd curve along what would appear to be the cut line. I don't know if you can see it very well, but at the top of the piece (if you're standing) it begins with a normal return edge but then about 3 inches down it curves outward, creating the odd line. I haven't noticed this before but then again I suppose it's very different once you're actually holding the pieces in your hand. I'm hesitant to cut before hearing any input.. In the meantime, I'll continue trimming the more straight forward cuts! Thanks a bunch, guys! 

IMG_7351_zpsj92xpfar.jpg

IMG_7351_zpsj92xpfar.jpg

I think you're pencil line looks like a good place to start trimming. You can always go a little more in on the swoop part if you need to. 

Thanks, Jason! That's exactly what I ended up doing. Aaron (Pyrates) showed me how his came out and it made more sense after seeing it.. The wonkiness just threw me off.

• Like 1

Forearms trimmed.. I can see now that the wrists will probably need a bit more return edge removed but I'll visit that later..

IMG_7371_zpsvtklakhl.jpg

IMG_7372_zpsg3neacsm.jpg

IMG_7367_zpsy0qlm6gq.jpg

Thighs.

IMG_7401_zpsgwtejqw5.jpg

IMG_7398_zpsnzoxj9u4.jpg

IMG_7400_zps9y3fz1sb.jpg

IMG_7399_zpsxpzqfy7r.jpg

I haven't gotten to the biceps or shoulder bells yet, but in a fit of randomness I decided to start on the helmet. I started by hitting the backs of the teeth with the trusty dremel.

IMG_7395_zpsfxdg2trx.jpg

After the dremel I cleaned things up with an xacto and a metal file set.

IMG_7375_zpsagbylo7j.jpg

Eyes are roughed trimmed for now.. I'm debating how much flashing, if any, that I want to leave around the edges.. I've seen small amounts on left on reference photos but at the same time it bugs me to leave any at all.. I think I may have answered my own dilemma.

IMG_7386_zpse4bs5o9y.jpg

Yet again, more randomness.. Tonight I decided to make cover strips for the shins. With the calipers set to 20mm, I set the distance from the edge of the ABS to the rulers edge for nice, straight score line.

IMG_7387_zpsr4dgljv8.jpg

Once they were trimmed to length the corners were snipped with lexan scissors and the points were rounded out. 

IMG_7389_zpsfesqguza.png

The first strip was used as a guide for the second one.. No calipers needed! :)  NOTE: Be sure to check the length of both shins before cutting the joining strips. One is slightly shorter.. I don't know if this consistent in all kits but something to be aware, nonetheless.

IMG_7390_zpsmyro0tx2.jpg

Test fit! Sweet!.. Hey, it's the little things.

IMG_7394_zpsze5z8iup.jpg

Edited by supernaut11