supernaut11's ANH stunt build thread [AP]

All is looking well here! Great Job! Keep in mind sniper plate is going to be added to top of left shin.

Thanks, Dan! And great point about the sniper plate.. I was so caught up in measuring and trying to get things perfect that it I completely overlooked that fact.

• Like 1

Very cool looking and nice setup for the cover strips! You'll need to remove all the return edge on the lower part of the forearms. 

Thanks! The counter top now makes it four workspaces in the house now.. :duim:  I'll be removing remaining return edge on lower forearms tonight!

• Like 1

Small update, nothing too exciting.. I'm not as fast as most of you guys are  ;). All the major pieces are at least rough trimmed. The only torso piece I have cleaned up at this point is the ab. It's been a combination of score and snap, tin snips, lexan scissors, a dremel and sandpaper. The dremel has become my new best friend, btw. If there's anything you see that looks off or something that needs more work, please let me know. Any critique is greatly appreciated!

IMG_7429_zps21en5q6z.jpg

IMG_7432_zpsmqit0bds.jpg

IMG_7430_zps9pdoq6xd.jpg

BICEPS.

IMG_7422_zpseoukbg3z.jpg

IMG_7423_zpsnnekkjsq.jpg

IMG_7427_zps0hrhalla.jpgIMG_7426_zpsfydjbxkj.jpg

SHOULDER BELLS.

IMG_7425_zps1hu2n1nn.jpg

IMG_7424_zpsjubmdorr.jpg

And courtesy of my brother, here's my action shot of real, actual work.  :P

IMG_7407_zpswl2zplmi.png

Oh, and these bad boys showed up yesterday!.. That's it for now.

IMG_7431_zpsdgvjjoft.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How are things going mate?

It's going good, man! Thanks for asking. All major parts trimmed and cleaned up, assembly is well under way but still a long way to go! And funny you should ask.. I just logged on to post a question about forearms.. That's next ;)

• Like 1

As mentioned, I've been making steady progress.. Lots of pictures, but nothing really too exciting yet. In the meantime, I'm hoping to get some opinions and feedback about the lines on the forearm. As you can see, after joining the "accurate" side with a 15mm strip, it leaves an uneven line along the top (if you're standing). I've seen others leave it this way and honestly, I don't think it looks too bad, however, I kinda prefer a clean line. Do you think it's a good idea to cut a clean line where the ruler is? You'll notice that a line like that would carry the cut well into the other half.. At this point, I'm hesitant, I'd hate to botch it up. On the other hand, I want a clean line. I'm probably overthinking this but that's why I'm turning to you guys!  ;)  After taking this pick, it's also very evident that quite a bit of the ridge is exposed, too.. It looks like the strip can come down about 5mm... Good thing I'm using E6000. That stuff has already saved my butt twice.

IMG_7515_zpscyglov9a.jpg

Edited by supernaut11
  • Like 1

I concur with Jason mate, I tried searching last night to see if I could find other threads to match your idea and couldn't find anything.

Great to hear you're assembling now too!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I think for now I'll leave them alone. If it still bugs me later in the build then I'll snip the corners. I'm planning on removing any remaining return edge on both ends because even with my pencil arms I can still feel them clawing at me so if I do cut, things should look pretty even. 

I seem to have come across a bit of a dilemma with the right thigh halves. While attempting a trial fit after glueing an inner strip in place, it became apparent that it wasn't going to be that easy. You can see how the right half of the seam bulges out significantly more than the inner piece. Forcing it in place just doesn't seem practical because the plastic is too stiff and it distorts the whole shape of the thigh. The left thigh is almost the same but manageable. Also, the pieces don't line up at the top. I'm not too concerned about that part of it.. I figure I can push the higher tip down a bit with a sealing iron, then contour it with the outer cover strip. Any suggestions on what I can do to get these bad boys to line up properly? Thanks a bunch guys!

IMG_7546_zpscrqncpz1.jpg

IMG_7547_zpspoxdaw0s.jpg

IMG_7548_zpsiycikks0.jpg

After spending some more time with the right thigh I think I may have found the problem. I decided to pull the inner strip off and now the parts line up much better. It's still a bit wonky but it at least it looks right. I'm not certain why the strip would do that but I may try 2-3in. pieces rather than one long piece. I used the cover strip plastic provided with the kit instead of scrap ABS so maybe it was too thick and once glued, distorted the plastic.. We'll see what happens with my next plan! On to other progress. 

The biceps, forearms and shins all have the front cover strips in place but still need to be fitted. There are still some areas that may need to lose more return edge, but I'll make that determination once I get those pieces on me! I'll be attending an armor party in a couple of weeks.. My hope is to get these pieces fitted then.

IMG_7556_zpsaj815fa1.jpg

IMG_7557_zpsviohby4y.jpg

IMG_7559_zpsnqfnu1wu.jpg

IMG_7558_zpszrr9lwjv.jpg

IMG_7560_zpsekdcckxd.jpg

Does the left shin look right to you? I'm having a hard time telling. The inner and outer curvatures seems correct to me and yet something looks off to me. The tops look odd to me as well, and for the life of me I can't figure out how the sniper plate is ever going to be installed. The lines are just way off and the gap up front is huge. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.  

IMG_7561_zpswkqshfsl.jpg

IMG_7564_zps7mbyqeis.jpg