Sentry's ANH Stunt Build [AP]

Tonight was TD night.

I followed the recommendations from ukswrath (Trooper Dad to some, apparently, eh Jason?) on his thread here.

td_parts.jpg

The PVC pipe was cut down to 6 1/4" (from 7"), and the caps are 3/4" thick. Since the depressions on the caps are 1/2" deep, that should get me to the recommended width.

0.5" cap + 6.25" tube + 0.5" cap = 7.25" overall assembled length

I haven't decided if I am going to try the boiling water trick to get the caps on (see the link above for a description). They seem to go on tightly but not so much that I need to stretch them, but I wonder if warming them and then putting them on the tube will prevent splitting later.

Edited by Sentry71

The E-6000 should act as a lubricant if you get enough on then try twisting on the cap like a pop bottle until it's on to your satisfaction (HVAC/Plumbing trick)

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 2

TD complete!

It turns out that my shortening of the tube, combined with an oversight of leaving the control panel at almost 4 3/4" instead of 4 1/2", tends to make the grey areas on the sides look rather narrow. I don't think it will be that big of an issue, but what do YOU think? Peel back the E6000 and reduce the panel, or let it go?

td_finish1.jpg

td_finish2.jpg

td_finish3.jpg

Edited by Sentry71

I think I have come up against my first fitting problem.

I was able to get the biceps trimmed and leave a space for the 15mm cover strip on both sides. They seem to fit ok (might be slightly long for my arms, but I can address that later).

​However, when working on the forearms, I cut the top/outside return to accomodate a 15mm cover strip to match the biceps. The trouble is that if I try to tape the inside forearm at 15mm as well, I have a lot of trouble getting my hand through, as well as trouble bending at the elbow without the forearm being really tight. If I tape it at 25mm, it is much more comfortable.

I suspect I could increase the cover strip areas to 20mm to split the difference, and allow for more comfort. However, that raises the question of whether I should expand the cover strip area of the biceps to 20mm to match. (I have inner strips with E6000, but no outer cover strips, so modding from 15 to 20mm won't be a big issue.) I'm mostly concerned that if the sizes are inconsistent or "too big", that it affects getting to Centurion.

Looking for any opinions or links to previous threads addressing this. I'll keep looking as well. :)

Suggestions?

Don't quote me on this. A differences of 5mm shouldn't make a huge differences for Centurion acceptance (I could be wrong though). Another option that I have heard is to have the front facing cover strips at 15mm, and have the rear strips larger if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I ended up with 20mm cover strips for the forearms, and replaced the outer strips on the biceps with matching sizes. They really don't look that different than the 15mm strips, so I think I'm ok. I sent a PM to ukswrath, and he recommended to "increase the size of the other cover strips to make the remainder of the armor look uniform". So, I am shooting for 25mm on the legs and 30mm on the rear calf. I can probably bring those down a mm or two if they look too big.

So far, this is what I have:

arms.jpg

- both forearms completed and drying

- one bicep completed and drying

- other bicep is half done

- initial cuts on both shins on the front, to allow for cover strips

I also found out about local armor parties - but of course, as luck would have it, I found out the day after it happened. :huh:

I know when the next one is (Mar 5), so I figure I will get pieces together as best I can (front of shins and thighs) and leave the actual fitting for that day, when I can have a few experts look at what I am doing. Until then, there is still work to be done. :)

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

Does this make my bottom (leg) look big? ;)

Seriously though, I am wondering if the cover strip for my shin (which is sized up in proportion to the bicep/forearms cover strips) looks too big.

shin.jpg

Since the strip is only taped in place, I can remove and reduce it if needed... I can't decide if it needs to be, though.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

Hey brother, your cover strip on your bicep is supposed to be to to the top of your back portion- you have to zoom up on the CRL pic to see it. You may want to cut your shin strip a little shorter at the ankle as it may create a pull point on the cover strip while you're walking. Other than that you're cover strips look deadly wicked!

Edited by Pyrates

Yeah, the cover strip length is a bit over as a caution until I finalize the bottom of the calf. I think I will need to cut off a slight amount from the shin bottom, since the shin itself is a bit long for my leg. Once that gets sized out, I'll shorten the cover strip to match.

Thanks for the catch on the biceps - easy enough to fix with E6000. :D

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2

Yeah, the length is a bit over as a caution until I finalize wthe bottom of the calf. I think I will need to cut off a slight bit since the shin itself is a bit long. Once that gets sized out, I'll shorten the cover strip to match.

Thanks for the catch on the biceps - easy enough to fix with E6000. :D

Wholeheartedly concur - E-6000 is sooo forgiving - it's the bomb

• Like 1

Your button plates look a little "tacked-on". The edges could be trimmed ever-so-slightly while rounding the corners to make them fit better over the ab piece. Looking good though!

How wide are your shin cover strips?

• Like 1

I was concerned about the button plates as well. E6000 to the rescue!  (I don't think I have had a single item glued on that I have not had to remove at least once.)  :)

At the point of the most recent photo, my shin cover strips were 25mm (because I had to modify the forearms to be 20mm instead of 15mm, and wanted to scale up with the other cover strips). I talked with ukswrath, and he advised to reduce the size of the forearm strips to 18mm, and just leave a little extra near the return lines to make up the space. Therefore, other over strips could be closer to "normal" as well.

So, since that pic was taken, I have reduced all the cover strips closer to expected sizes. For example, the shin cover strips are now reduced to 20mm on the front, and I should be able to do 25mm on the back without having to add anything extra.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 4

Don't update in a few days, and suddenly you are page 2. :D

This weekend was mostly sanding of edges. Lots of dust, but nothing photo worthy.

I was able to complete the bicep and forearm cover strip rework, getting the strips down to smaller sizes and reattaching them to the parts.

Today, I placed inner strips on the shin pieces and letting that dry overnight. Tomorrow will be the other half of each, and then in a few days, I will see if the shins need to be shortened at all.

With the next armor party in my area almost two weeks away, I figure I can take a more leisurely pace and get pieces ready to take with me, so that I can have someone else's eyes on getting pieces fitted to me. Thus, shins will have the fronts done, but not the back, and I suspect the same for the thighs (though the simple rule on thighs seems to be: loose enough to slide easily is what you are shooting for). Sizing the ab/kidney/etc will probably wait until then as well.

That still leaves snap plates and all kinds of elastic goodies to prep as it gets closer to Mar 5. And then again, there is that "other" costume to finish. :sSW_deathstar: 

• Like 3

Great job so far!  

Decals fit perfectly if properly applied, the rear traps decals are a bit of a pain to apply but do fit nicely,  always use water with 1/2 a drop of dishwashing soap to apply vinyl decals like the pros do, just wet the surface and dip decal into the water and apply, this allows to adjust decals and avoid any trapped air bubbles, working from middle of decal using your thumb rub decal toward extremeties to squeeze out water for a perfect smooth paint like finish. Check my helmet decals. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35671-new-ap-helmet/

or you can also follow these instruction to properly apply the decals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEShdlB0opw

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

Thanks Mark! It's good to know that the decal issue was my error, and not on the part of the items supplied. The things we learn on our first build. :)

They are awesome decals - I can't believe I missed that video.

• Like 1