Helmet liners in your lid?

I've seen a few different inserts for helmet padding, harnesses and what looks like actual padding from a motorcycle helmet... Just wondering what everyone has in there bucket, what seems to work well, what doesn't, etc... And with fans and voice boxes what fits everything... Post some pics if you have any.... Thanks

Some of it will depend on the size of your head, and how the bucket sits on it.  I started out with 1 inch padding in the top, but took it out because it was riding too high and I was constantly having to tilt it down to see better... plus, it was giving me the "bobble-head" look.   All I have now is a 3 inch wide strip on 1 inch thick cloth covered foam that is attached with Velcro that runs from ear to ear behind my head.  This keeps it from wobbling around, and I still have room for all my electronics.

If you do decide to go with any sort of foam liner for your bucket, (or thigh/calf inserts), be sure that it is removable for cleaning.  Industrial strength Velcro is awesome!

Edited by justjoseph63

796a7eeecfaba33f0037a2e266347340.jpg

I'm using Army tactical helmet padding that is attached to the helmet via Industrial Strength Velcro. Using Echo's fan system and attached the iComm to the plastic housing. The wiring for the microphone that I removed the headpiece that came with the Aker speaker is tucked under the fan system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

796a7eeecfaba33f0037a2e266347340.jpg

I'm using Army tactical helmet padding that is attached to the helmet via Industrial Strength Velcro. Using Echo's fan system and attached the iComm to the plastic housing. The wiring for the microphone that I removed the headpiece that came with the Aker speaker is tucked under the fan system.

Can I ask, what did you use for the bucket interior paint?  Plasti-Dip or matte black spray?  It looks great!

Hey Chris. I'm new here myself, but I've heard many troopers go the plastidip route. In theory it gives a nice, professional look with a smooth texture. However, as I am learning the hard way, it can be a pain to get that stuff in there and coat the proper surfaces just right. IMO a flat or satin black spray paint would work just as good but give you less hassle as it will: 1) Dry quicker, 2) have less likelihood of spilling out through the crevices in the helmet, and 3) just be easier to apply in general. 

Regular paint, when applied in thin coats will adhere to your plastic just fine, without being too runny, but as I've found with plastidip, it goes on like a thick sludge, and you gotta kinda roll the bucket around so the stuff can cover everything.

One last note on plain paint, you may or may not need to apply a base primer to give your finishing paint traction.

Like I said, I'm a rookie; just throwin' in my two cents!

Edited by Xybe

Hey Chris. I'm new here myself, but I've heard many troopers go the plastidip route. In theory it gives a nice, professional look with a smooth texture. However, as I am learning the hard way, it can be a pain to get that stuff in there and coat the proper surfaces just right. IMO a flat or satin black spray paint would work just as good but give you less hassle as it will: 1) Dry quicker, 2) have less likelihood of spilling out through the crevices in the helmet, and 3) just be easier to apply in general. 

Regular paint, when applied in thin coats will adhere to your plastic just fine, without being too runny, but as I've found with plastidip, it goes on like a thick sludge, and you gotta kinda roll the bucket around so the stuff can cover everything.

One last note on plain paint, you may or may not need to apply a base primer to give your finishing paint traction.

Like I said, I'm a rookie; just throwin' in my two cents!

Sly,  Great point.  I've heard that Krylon Fusion is a great one to use.  I've also heard of people using the Plasti Dip can version and painting it inside the bucket with a brush.  That might be easier??

d649846901b8b4fa73994f93d8d9e687.jpg I disassembled my helmet and used painters tape along the edges. You will have minimal 'spray' around the eyes and outside the frown. 70% isopropanol alcohol will clean it up no problem. I used a cheap flat matte Black from Lowes that was $4. I did about 2 coats or so and air it out/let dry before reassembly