cjdesign's doopy doo's build

cjdesign

I'm on Dday's e-11 waiting list but really want to apply for my EIB soon. A stromtrooper can't have too many blasters. After searching through 501st forums I was lucky enough get my paws on a nice doopy's kit, and all the third party fixings eg ammo clip, real counter, finishing kits, esb greeblies. The holidays came early. lol. This will be a ESB stunt build until I get my promo blaster from Dday and then I will convert it over to a ANH blaster.

hMiNOJK.jpg

Trigger assembly and guard:

Started sanding and doing basic cleanup before assembly. Working on the pistol grip and trigger assembly currently Drilled out holes for real screws but the trigger guard is not very accurate.

I've decided to make my own trigger guard out of 1/16 inch aluminum. Here is my tracing to use as a template to fabricate my guard

vJVsP7y.jpg

Final dimensions for the replacement guard is 1/16" x 4.25 x 8/16 tapered to 6/16. this is how it pressure fits into the resin part. good start but needs to be adjusted at the top.

The Doopy guard is a bit bulky isn't it. Perhaps to make it less fragile.... Is yours a bit large?? Like the overall circumference of the circle. Or just a trick of the camera angle?

maybe a little of both. good eye. it's 1/4" larger on purpose for attachment/gluing. I need to excavate more of the resin in the grip so the guard sits higher in the trigger group. Thanks for the input!!

Update: after the final adjustment I cut off an addition 1/8" off the bottom.

Edited by cjdesign

Maybe place your trigger in there (just loosely) so you can see the whole combo together before fixing the guard. At least you have a real one there for comparison. Don't need reference pics when you got something like that so close :) 

working on the preliminary nserts: before I cut with a jewelery saw.. I double stacked two pieces of 1/16 aluminum and taped together.  This way I can cut both sides at the same time.

Osmr1f3.jpg

• Like 2

XZKDZqm.jpg

Thanks! I traced my sterling trigger assembly and produced this template for the trigger inserts. Feel free to use as needed. You may need to adjust the upper right side to suit your application.

http://www.tk10171.com/img/trigger_inserts.pdf

• Like 1

Update: Pretty from a far but far from pretty.... The amount of filling/sanding necessary to make like the original is more time consuming then making one from scratch... I have the other side of the trigger guard I can use to create the center portion of the trigger assembly.

IMG_2479_zpswy68oojr.jpg

IMG_2477_zps0dwd4hxv.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by cjdesign

Figured it would be a lot easier to insert real metal then deal with masking and painting to look like real metal. It's a nice contrast to have some raw metal against all the black painted parts.

IMA, this jewelry saw takes all the credit thought. Cuts through steel and aluminum with ease.

Edited by cjdesign

Figured it would be a lot easier to insert real metal then deal with masking and painting to look like the metal.

I'm about to finally paint this section of my blaster, probably tonight after work. It will look like... silver paint, probably.

I'm about to finally paint this section of my blaster, probably tonight after work. It will look like... silver paint, probably.

May the force be with you on your metal replicating journey. Use a very tiny brush. 1/0 or 1

Originally, I WAS going to use stainless steel paint and experiment with a coarse steel wool pad (lightly scratch surface) and black and silver latex water based (fill in scratched surfaces and wipe off) to create a tarnished effect with varying shades of scratches?? Just a idea really.

Edited by cjdesign

Magazine Housing & Mag:

CxlTJ1t.jpg

In order to fit the magazine I had to trim very close. Careful not to carve through to the other side. I used 100 grit sand paper to finalize the inner edges but still came close to breaking through.

At this point the clip still didn't fit into the opening and the sides were at or too thin as is, so I shaved off a little from the magazine for the final fit.

Fits perfect! :duim:

UjS7Jyd.jpg

• Like 3

You're a braver man than I! I'll be cutting the mag down to reduce the depth needed to be ground out. Partially for strength partially because I'll carve through the walls!

The original idea was to create a working mag, with real button and spring, Once I realized that the clip wouldn't fit properly I had no choice but to glue or use rare earth magnets, and my extensive carving was in vain. I did trim the clip about 1/4 or so inch from the bottom. No regrets.

Edited by cjdesign
  • Like 1

cut a line between the clip and end tab to add the appearance of 2 separate pieces. I'm leaving the ragged edge, for a distressed look.

Parts are painted with a light coat of primer to bring out the fine details

before:

IMG_2430_zps8ujdwcn3.jpg

after:

IMG_2433_zpsvctrangk.jpg

IMG_2434_zpsheafoank.jpg

Edited by cjdesign