Did some more mudding today on the seams. I am real happy how the sides of the kidney to ab seam came out. Just a little bit of find skimming and sanding then install the last two boxes and fit up time! The forearms need some skimming also to fill in some fine scratches.

IMG_1769_zpsw2f3iuvz.jpg

IMG_1770_zpsa26zqqjg.jpg

IMG_1771_zpsvir5bsuw.jpg

• Like 1

Went and spent a few hours working on the seams and things are looking much better. I have a high build auto primer in white that I used and it fill the scratches very well. The back looks really nice!

IMG_1862_zps7pbp2ggr.jpg

Biceps

IMG_1863_zpsmtykw6ah.jpg

Forearms

IMG_1861_zps1eniltl4.jpg

Left Shin

IMG_1864_zpsgr7111wh.jpg

Thermal Detonator

65679393_zpsy5ljvgub.jpg

Made some 3" wide white elastic webbing for the back and when I was fitting it I have it set up for a 2" gap. I had sewn Velcro on the straps and have Velcro on the kidney. I also made a suspenders for the Ab/Kidney with parachute buckles.

IMG_1852_zpsr3uxgthm.jpg

IMG_1853_zpsbhayh2fx.jpg

364758744_zpslotq4vav.jpg

Thanks Sly!

I do have to say that if it was not for the guys on here and other sources for letting their builds be available and making the first shot at this kit I would have not been where I am in the time I have spent so far! Its guys like Clint, Barcoders, Plushies, UKsWrath and Zaphods that are the foundation blocks. I have started the filler work on the forearms, biceps, thigh, chest and thermal detonator. I put the JB Plastic weld on the neck yoke/back and did a initial sanding followed by a quick squirt of paint to see how it looks in the rough. I think some more sanding and then a glazing coat with a final sanding and its off to paint......once the shoulder strap holes are put in!

IMG_1714_zps0ogrscvh.jpg

IMG_1715_zpseevbslbv.jpg

The one thing I love about this kit is no matter what happens you can sand, trim, mud and paint just like what I have been doing for last 28 years!

IMG_0009.jpg

You were born to build this kit Michael, great work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decided to suit up and see what needs to be done for movement and where the thighs should hang........man I did it all by myself!

IMG_1927_zpse4xlqguu.jpg

IMG_1932_zpsw9aggcto.jpg

IMG_1931_zps369zhupx.jpg

IMG_1930_zps1hbxvqaw.jpg

IMG_1933_zps6xfsof9k.jpg

I need to make strapping for the thighs, fit the knee gaskets, build the belt, fix the cod and use elastic webbing there! Get the chest to sit better especially on the sides then all the snaps and Velcro on the misc. strapping. Lastly the fine sanding then its off to paint!

Another hour spent fitting the utility belt. It worked out well and I used two snaps on either side of the cod. I will add some side tabs to keep the belt from pulling in at the hip.

Snaps added!

IMG_1938_zpshdtchmu6.jpg

Boxes Mounted!

IMG_1939_zpslbj9kmdm.jpg

IMG_1940_zpszjrwsyrs.jpg

Snaps under the belt cover to the AB!

IMG_1942_zpstkloyooj.jpg

Looking good!

IMG_1941_zpsunisiysc.jpg

Went and did some sewing this afternoon since my day job got rained out! I bought the imperial gaskets cloth gasket set. The legs were pretty straight forward and I even put a slight taper on them. I used sew on Velcro hook side on the tops about 75% the way around and a block in the middle for the knee guard and a 4 inch strip in the front of the bottom for the shin.

Front with knee guard

IMG_2004_zpsn43eyri8.jpg

IMG_2007_zpscpxwh4hf.jpg

Back

IMG_2005_zpsryuq25z4.jpg

Side view

IMG_2006_zpsxwmgeoty.jpg

Over all!

IMG_1998_zpspj9gmwp4.jpg

IMG_2002_zpsu3crrvdp.jpg

That was another 1.5 hours and I fixed the chest plate too for the top strapping!

Thanks Tony-I actually like the idea of not worrying about finger prints, glue, scratches and then painting to cover up all my issues! Now how well paint holds up on a set of armor only a clone would know! I plan on letting it wear in like a good set of boots! Hey I also noted you graduated with me from the Imperial Academy too Class of 101 with 10114 and 10116!

Edited by TriumphTrooper8

Thanks Tony-I actually like the idea of not worrying about finger prints, glue, scratches and then painting to cover up all my issues! Now how well paint holds up on a set of armor only a clone would know! I plan on letting it wear in like a good set of boots! Hey I also noted you graduated with me from the Imperial Academy too Class of 101 with 10114 and 10116!

Awesome!

Class of 101 yes sir   :smiley-sw013:  :peace:

So time is getting shorter by the day for the magical date. I had seen Barcoder's build a nice Rubies E-11 using a toy gun scope. I managed to find something I can work with so for now this is my Plan B.....

Blaster%201_zpstyydrrxc.jpg

Blaster%202_zpsm1l4q8sb.jpg

Did some more work with the sewing machine and more fitting! Cleaned up the ab shoulder straps. Fabricated the thigh straps using 2" black webbing and sew on Velcro. Cloth shoulder/arm gaskets from imperial gaskets I sewed on the Velcro strips to keep the biceps and forearms from moving around. Assembled and tried on the legs with the spats. They fit perfectly! Fabricated shoulder bell straps also with sew on Velcro. What is left.......lets see.......not much? Fine filling and sanding of chest, forearms and thigh. Chest Greeblies to glue on. Its almost time to sand/scuff, tape off, paint and decals!

A little gift to myself!

IMG_2240_zpsce30ekwa.jpg

Thigh straps and shoulder bell straps

IMG_2220_zpsedzw6dzy.jpg

Thigh strap

IMG_2243_zpsb0mwp7bg.jpg

Leg Front

IMG_2231_zps9orx66od.jpg

Leg Inside

IMG_2230_zps8hhphn89.jpg

Shoulder Bell straps

IMG_2222_zpsfgwtpnhk.jpg

Inside of the chest/back assembly with strapping

IMG_2227_zpsi37n5uwb.jpg

Velcro sewn on the arm/shoulder gaskets for the bicep and forearm

IMG_2241_zpswuhjkurl.jpg

I also found out I am not alone as of November 3rd! Then there were four...........

12191543_10205391877976688_5608858816820

12191527_10205391877896686_7807731345313

Edited by TriumphTrooper8

Well rattle can painting sucks and trying to find a decent place to do it heated, no humidity and the most annoying......DUST! I did some spraying of the shoulder bells, knees, cod, butt, belt boxes/covers, and hand guards and well dust and the funky orange peel/blisters shown up. Best looking piece was the butt plate and one knee! Has anyone wet sanded and clear coat the parts to get rid of the peel and dust? I might just after a few days try a final coat of paint?

• Like 1

Here is the status of the painting process:

Medium scotch-brite and a wax and oil degreaser wipe down

IMG_2247_zpsfqyaqyoz.jpg

Butt, Cod, Knees, Boxes, Hand Guards, and Shoulder Bells in a dusty basement!

IMG_2251_zpscbksdtb2.jpg

Back/Neck Yoke done in my garage loft much better!

IMG_2271_zpskoyysgd4.jpg

IMG_2272_zps5faq8cme.jpg

IMG_2273_zpsipbv83vd.jpg

IMG_2274_zpsebbgkjo7.jpg

IMG_2275_zps5clz282k.jpg

New Chest Detail in primer that needs more work!

IMG_2277_zps7nrqrqef.jpg

Forearms also need some minor touch up but in primer

IMG_2278_zpskbfgwpib.jpg

IMG_2279_zpsfzemmiym.jpg

Thermal Detonator getting close with one spot to fix!

IMG_2282_zpsycabumte.jpg

IMG_2280_zpspanffxbg.jpg

Having all of that fiberglass insulation in the basement wouldn't have anything to do with the dust in the air, would it?  :blink:

Zaphod built a negative pressure paint booth in his shed with plastic sheet and duct tape. Then he added pair of giant air filters on one side, a dehumidifier, and a fan on the front. After letting the air flow through for a couple of hours, he was all set to paint without fear of dust or pollen.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32343-zaphods-first-order-tk-tfa-build-threadtk-31415abs-pastepic-heavy/page-3#entry438295

Another trooper said he clear coated the paint, then waxed and buffed it to smooth out the finish. (I can't find the build thread, but I swear I read it yesterday!)

Don't despair, you're almost there!

Besides, you know that'll buff out!  :laugh1:

http://thechive.com/2014/10/06/thatll-buff-out-32-photos/

Charlie

Well on Friday the 13th I ran into a huge issue! I got a bad can of Rustoleum paint. Some yellow goop sprayed out of the can then it all turned white. I sprayed 3 pieces and the paint instantly on the 3rd light coat peeled up! I scraped off the paint and noticed something was eating the ABS! I grabbed the pieces and got them into warm water. That stopped the reaction. Unfortunately it did eat into the ABS. what a nightmare! I sanded all the loose areas and now have put a skim coat of glazing puddy on to get a smooth surface. Make sure you check you cans of rustoleum for that yellow goop when you test it out. I tried other cans from the batch and they were fine but I am done spraying! The rest of the parts are going to be done by a professional.

IMG_2322_zpsy4juu9ud.jpg

IMG_2323_zps9wfehtls.jpg

IMG_2324_zpsw1q68rgx.jpg

IMG_2343_zpsi5cjxb49.jpg