8/28/15

Ok Boys & Girls!

I have been busy in the last year after finishing my TK. I ended up building a Snowtrooper and a Biker Scout

110578d2-29e9-4821-bb20-4fa77aba4201_zps

5c39fe21-cf64-475e-b671-ff7378aa97d4_zps

I had signed up on a shot in the complete pitch black dark and made the list for the second wave and began preparing! I had been posting the build on my Garrisons forum and decided to put it here on FISD.

The two boxes of love showed up at the local FedEx Office location. This is the first shipment of two boxes of three shipments. Inside one was all the ABS armor with the inventory/QC list and decals. The second box was the rubber gaskets for the shoulders, elbows and knees. I don't know who it was that packaged the armor but dang they got 70+ pieces all stacked tightly inside with out a single issue! The gaskets were nice an flat with packing in between each one with the adhesive.

IMG_1357_zps72blz0r7.jpg

IMG_1359_zpsni9qpegp.jpg

There is a 1957 Ford Thunderbird under the armor! I think it is by far the most expensive work bench I have ever had!

IMG_1360_zps6rudbmhp.jpg

The first of way too many!

IMG_1374_zpscz7t0b7k.jpg

Chest trimmed.....

IMG_1375_zpshj77324z.jpg

Back & Chest done!

IMG_1377_zpsr052c7fa.jpg

If anyone else has the kit or plans on getting one I would recommend a small reciprocating saw or a dremmel with a small course cutting wheel. I went with the cutting wheel. It is very intimidating but with an available guide it becomes clear that all the pieces have their places. The good thing is if you nick or scratch it all you can repair it and paint away!

Edited by TriumphTrooper8
  • Like 1

8/29/15

With this cutting wheel and marking edges it took about 3.5 hours to cut the pieces free with the exception of the ab and belt boxes. I had left some material on most so I will have plenty of fine tuning to do.

IMG_1380_zpsiecxcvk0.jpg

I ended up with this mess............

IMG_1382_zpsrdpzjgbz.jpg

And this puzzle!

IMG_1381_zpsn01uleq6.jpg

I assembled the shoulder bells, fitted a thigh and fitted the yoke/back assembly.

IMG_1388_zpst9x5n2li.jpg

IMG_1387_zpswdk7arxb.jpg

IMG_1385_zpsdtdqw8eu.jpg

IMG_1384_zpszind2il6.jpg

The guide is very nice and explains a lot! The shins have Velcro areas on the inner side. The thighs are solid with no Velcro. The biceps also are solid and the gauntlets (forearms) have one area the opens up. Total so far I have about 6 hours involved from opening the box. I have yet to use my sheet metal snips. It has been the cutting wheel, files and belt/disc sander.

9/1/15

I was able to sneak out to the garage for a few short sessions today. Randy...aka TK21029 dropped by with his son to look over the trimmed pieces when I was making backing strips for the biceps. Once they were made and some final sanding/filing on the glue edges and returns I used Zap-A-Gap to glue the strips and the overlap seams and then proceeded to the thighs. They are very generous with the glue tabs and used the super glue once again. So far with the use of body filler/bondo for the seamless look on some pieces it can also be used to touch up and over sanding or glue spots.

Bicep with backing strip for the joining seam

IMG_1394_zps0i6yzbwb.jpg

Bicep glued and ready for the overlap exposed seam.

IMG_1395_zpsrlk5bvgg.jpg

Finished less the latch greeblie, paint and stickers!

IMG_1396_zpshsezacu5.jpg

Thighs have two large glue strips that are part of each half and exposed seams

IMG_1397_zpsjw9sthxz.jpg

IMG_1398_zps2yhoqv2b.jpg

Add another 1.5 hours for a total of 7.5 hours!

Next are the shins and the ab/kidney sections!

9/4/15

I managed to get an hour yesterday (Thursday) and today to finish gluing the ab to kidney. I had to add some shims where the raised area was for the ammo/utility boxes are on the armor unlike the previous TK with an actual belt. This should cut down on any possible flexing that could end up as cracks.

IMG_1424_zps0hlkprb1.jpg

IMG_1421_zpsq3qqmhuu.jpg

IMG_1422_zpsiqthwcem.jpg

IMG_1425_zps4cu9jivp.jpg

I also got the shins completed for gluing.

IMG_1423_zps4aeksekk.jpg

The helmet and soft parts came in and please make sure you keep in contact with Anovos if your order the kit and are having it shipped to a location besides your house. They forgot to notify the sent the goods and after a day of trying to email they gave me a tracking number and there the stuff was delivered a day earlier! Also make sure you really exam the helmet around the ears and neck opening for any stress cracks from the curing process.

IMG_1426_zpstm8qdhpi.jpg

The gloves will need the white leather taken off the pinky, ring and middle fingers to be partially acceptable. To be perfect there needs some white raised padding sewn on the palms with black thread. Imperial Boots makes gloves and offers a combo deal for the gloves and boots.

IMG_1428_zpsleu9yceu.jpg

This weekend I will be working on the ab boxes, thermal detonator, neck/back assembly and belt pieces.

Total time 9.5 hours!

• Like 1

9/5/15

Spent three hours today putting the forearms together, prepping the Thermal Detonator and knee caps/plates. I ran into a few things that needed clarification or a modification. Lets start with the forearms. They are compromised of (5) pieces beside the two latches and bar greeblies. There are two seams that require backing and the cap that is only 3/4s the way glued on leaving the last1/4 at the wrist unglued so you can put your hand thru. Trimming is ok but there is a little 1"x1" tab on the front of the forearm that has to be left on. What it does no one knows?

IMG_1442_zpszrncfnmw.jpg

Then to put the cap on I ended up adding two strips so it had more glue area and a better fit.

855981c8-a189-4702-8835-fcba856616e5_zps

Finished forearms with latches and strip greeblies. I can just get my hand thru and smaller would not be fun!

IMG_1446_zps1lvhzom6.jpg

This picture is important........the latch on the LEFT is correct and the latch on the RIGHT is NOT CORRECT!

IMG_1444_zpsrolj1ysw.jpg

More information for the latches......the small tab on the latch for the legs lines up with the latch seam.

IMG_1447_zpslfm9jvsg.jpg

IMG_1448_zpsuffsndbj.jpg

I spent the last 10 minutes prepping the Thermal Detonator. Its looks like a mess but once you start fitting parts, sanding, filing and more of filing it starts to take shape.

IMG_1450_zpsbrfzwk3v.jpg

9/8/15

Spent an hour fixing the forearms and gluing the back plate onto the neck yoke. Came out pretty good and it needs some reinforcing and more trimming then off to body filler land and paint! I do plan on putting a slot for the shoulder bell strap and that's why there will be an extra reinforcing strip on the backside of the return edge.

IMG_1479_zpsuaqtz8z8.jpg

9/11/15

Its Friday and another 3 hours spent cleaning up rough cuts, completing the Thermal Detonator, trimming extra off the neck yoke.

I found for the thermal detonator (TD) to trim the corrugated areas a little bit at a time. I also removed the return edge on the detonator end caps to a point where there was a little bit more than 1/16" and cleaned up the end caps so on the inside they had a nice flush fit. I glued the end caps to the bottom portion of the TD. Then I glued the ends of the top portion at the end caps for about an inch in addition to the end caps themselves. I put the TD on the back plate that cover the AB/Kidney seam running up the back and marked the over lap lines for the top and bottom sections at the sides and also made some trimming adjustments all around the mating area. I glued the remained of the top and bottom sections together on my marks and then to the back plate. Last thing was removing extra material on the overlaps and installing the hook that goes on top of the plate to hang the TD from the AB/Kidney.

Here are the parts: top and bottom section, end caps and back plate

IMG_1450_zpsbrfzwk3v.jpg

Just needs to be cleaned up, seam filler, sanding and primer!

IMG_1521_zpsubtazvaw.jpg

IMG_1522_zps1cnsqate.jpg

I got a little carried away with the belt sander on the right side of the joint :oops:

IMG_1523_zpspyfq6bso.jpg

18.5 Hours............

9/12/15

BELT DETAILS!!!!!

Here are some reference pictures that are pretty important for the belt construction. Just to do a quick review the belt is comprised of (4) ABS utility boxes and (1) soft pouch and (1) soft pouch with ABS cover. The belt is a black ribbed matt material with the lines/ribs running horizontal with a 2" black poly webbing that is connected with a parachute buckle. The buckle is clipped together under the soft pouch on your left hip and key is to leave a little of the ribbed belt cover to conceal the buckle.

IMG_1374_zps6uagwk8e.jpg

1907511_10205172790294716_70082424604185

image1_zpso5k3crrj.jpg

As seen above you want to use Chicago screws to secure the ABS boxes to the belt. This will also attach the ribbed cover to the webbing. The boxes are all different too. The two front boxes are the same size but one (right side) is two sections (square and rectangle) with the smaller section (square) aligned toward the next box (right side in the picture). The next box on the right side is a thin box and the fourth box is the only 3 piece with an outer cover, middle and back. Each of these boxes on the back side have dimples for the fasteners to go.

The belt has enough material for someone that has a 35-36" waist (pants) and also the AB/Kidney. I fitted the midsection and I have a 3" gap that the Thermal Detonator will cover with 1.5" of over lap on each side. Any one bigger in the waist will have to think about ABS extensions and buying a loner webbing and rubber cover.

Did some tinkering and finished the gloves per the new CRL. The gloves required the white strips removed from the pinky, ring and middle fingers in the middle of those fingers and the tags. (Anovos supplied gloves on the left & modified on the right)

Gloves%202_zpsdetiaer5.jpg

This arrived late yesterday and cant wait to start mudding!

FullSizeRender_zpseegebbhl.jpg

9/13/15

Another important point for those that follow the ANOVOS suggested paints. They recommend Rust-Oleum 2X Ultracover Gloss White for main armor, Semi-Gloss Black for the Thermal Detonator and the back of some of the belt boxes and if you don't use the stickers, all the small recess details on the armor. I would also use a primer for the areas that had filler used on.

IMG_1540_zpsvujp4ff6.jpg

9/21/15

I have not done much in the way of trimming or gluing. I did get my boots and gloves from Imperial Boots. They are perfect and the gloves......fit like a glove!

12039453_10205189251911163_4763608591156

Ever since the TFA stuff went on sale I have piled up a good bit. I got my First Order Helmet stand too.

IMG_1573_zpshjicmpkg.jpg

I am working on trimming the boxes for the belt and ab and maybe have the belt assembled this weekend. Might even do some painting too?

• Like 1

9/23/15

I played a little thing called "Hookie" today and spent about 2 hours in the garage working on the FO. I glued 4 of the 6 latch greeblies on after using a heat gun and a transmission bell housing to bend them to the correct contour. It took a little bit more sanding and adjusting to get them to fit nice and flush. I moved on the biggest milestone.........rough trimming of the remaining boxes for the abs, thighs and shin details!

The box of trimmings is finally filled up and will not be accepting anymore but yielding to the build needs!

IMG_1628_zpsaknakmvl.jpg

The ab boxes that I highly recommend you label the in/backside with the part number and also the order 1, 2, 3, etc. This way you know which goes where!

IMG_1627_zpsmyzi6tel.jpg

IMG_1626_zpsi3nqkegy.jpg

Also use a pencil to mark the cut lines and leave some extra!

IMG_1625_zpsio49kjmj.jpg

These arts for the left shin have arrow for a specific direction so before you cut put that on the inside also and to make it easier for trimming split the pair up!

IMG_1624_zpswm9d0trh.jpg

The latch greeblies go on the "OUTSIDE" only for the shins, thighs and spats.

IMG_1629_zpsvcimfxzm.jpg

So here it is that needs to be finished for trimming, fitting and gluing! The boxes to the ab/kidney, belt boxes, thigh and shin details, chest detail and spats!

IMG_1630_zps48wnf9jq.jpg

Project Total Hours to date......20.5!

9/25/15

Here is a quick shot of the belt for my build. It is the consensus that the two boxes on the left side drop lower than the ones on the right.

FullSizeRender_zpsttfr9bts.jpg

Anovos has on preorder a plastic injected First Order helmet that is lighter than the one currently being issued with the kits. I pulled the trigger and ordered one. This is what it looks like.

IMG_1633_zpsms8wia5w.jpg

After much research and talk on FISD and FB I decided to try JB Plastic Weld for the neck yoke and the sides of the ab/kidney. I also picked up some glazing puddy and some spreaders.

JB%20Plastic%20Weld_zpsta1wamx7.jpg

IMG_1653_zpstecelahk.jpg

Kidney%20seam_zps6a5kmngi.jpg

9/26/15

Spent another 2.5 hours in the garage! Got 5 of the 7 (#2-#6) ab boxes on and the cod mounted.

The cod was interesting to think of the ways to attach it. I could use snaps or Velcro. I went with snaps and by accident realized the female side of the anorak snap can be crushed and still work! I ended up with a perfect fit with the 12mm/5/16" snaps on squares of ABS glued to the cod and ab.

IMG_1660_zpsdrhniyde.jpg

IMG_1659_zpsbhkp1hm6.jpg

IMG_1658_zpsef6aawkl.jpg

IMG_1661_zpsiljxd0pt.jpg

The ab boxes were rough trimmed previously and with a pencil I marked the actual cut line and used a barrel sanding bit on my dremel to get the extra material off.

IMG_1662_zpsgib7a8oc.jpg

Then I marked the outline of the box after some fine tuning and used CA (Zap-A-Gap) to glue the boxes on.

IMG_1663_zps4bmqfri0.jpg

23 Hours to date!

9/27/15

Busted out another session for 2 hours and got more of the detail work done.

Left thigh detail for the blaster holster/mount.

IMG_1665_zpshvdougjv.jpg

Right shin with two details

IMG_1666_zpsqqvq9vbs.jpg

Glove guards on the gloves I received from Imperial Boots

Gloves%20IB_zpskilocfy7.jpg

The details IB put on the gloves are awesome! Palm padding is spot on!

IMG_1668_zps4uutb1wz.jpg

There is an update that the "B" group I call Bravo received that is a more chest detail in the middle. I replace the old one by cutting the area out. I then shaved down the back side so the reveal/opening in the back of the detail is open. After it get painted I will put back cloth behind.

IMG_1669_zpsw2c8fiou.jpg

Total Hours.......25!

Here is a quick run down of things so far:

Helmet-Came finished with a nicely padded inside!

Shoulder Bells-Assembled, no paint

Biceps-Assembled, needs seam filer, paint and decals

Forearms-Assembled, no seam filler and paint

Gloves-Imperial Boots arrived paint hand guards and assemble.

Neck/Back-Assembled, needs seam filler, paint and decals

Chest Plate-Center changed out, needs other greeblies, paint and decals

AB/Kidney-Two halves assembled and back seam is opened up. Attached 5 of 7 utility/ammo boxes. Needs 2 more boxes, seam filler and paint

Thermal Detonator-Assembled and needs seam filler, paint and decals

Cod-Prepped, snaps installed and needs paint

Butt Plate-Prepped needs snaps installed and paint

Ammo/Utility Belt-Assembled soft pouch with cover, trimmed boxes. Fit and install buckle, pouches and paint boxes and reassemble

Thighs-Glued together, latches installed. Needs side holster detail done, need holster & seam filler and paint

Knees Plates-Prepped needs paint

Shins-Glued together, latches and right side details done, need seam filler and paint and Velcro strips

Ankle Spats-Assembled and needs paint and Velcro

Blaster-Evilboy unbreakable ordered

Boots-Imperial Boots arrived!

Helmet Fans-To be ordered from Echoworks

Gaskets-Need to clean, glue and add Velcro/snaps I am going to use the cloth gasket to get basic approval!

Neck Seal-Has not been delivered yet and NOT happy about it!

Neck seal I was to have been delivered from ANOVOS but they messed up trying to send it USPS to a FedEx facility on Thursday! I have been having a real issue with how the handle shipping of their kit!

Neck seal I was to have been delivered from ANOVOS but they messed up trying to send it USPS to a FedEx facility on Thursday! I have been having a real issue with how the handle shipping of their kit!

Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Michael, awesome build so far, and all you costumes look fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Sly!

I do have to say that if it was not for the guys on here and other sources for letting their builds be available and making the first shot at this kit I would have not been where I am in the time I have spent so far! Its guys like Clint, Barcoders, Plushies, UKsWrath and Zaphods that are the foundation blocks. I have started the filler work on the forearms, biceps, thigh, chest and thermal detonator. I put the JB Plastic weld on the neck yoke/back and did a initial sanding followed by a quick squirt of paint to see how it looks in the rough. I think some more sanding and then a glazing coat with a final sanding and its off to paint......once the shoulder strap holes are put in!

IMG_1714_zps0ogrscvh.jpg

IMG_1715_zpseevbslbv.jpg

The one thing I love about this kit is no matter what happens you can sand, trim, mud and paint just like what I have been doing for last 28 years!

IMG_0009.jpg

Spent about another 2 hours on some sanding after filling seams and completing the rest of the belt boxes.

IMG_1761_zpsha73vg1o.jpg

1761a_zpsfqawj0ij.jpg

I also have a question about the TD and how it sits on the kidney. There is a gap on the bottom that some say will be covered by the belt but would it be better if it sat flush with the bottom of the kidney and the belt would b below the bottom of the ab/kidney like it is in the front?

IMG_1760_zps3cgndlva.jpg

27 Hours so far!