Hydration in armor

Target92

So quick, question how do you all mainain hyrdration in your armor. I have an idea of trying to install a camelback like bladder underneath the OII panel and routing the tube under the undersuit and into the helmet. But I want to know other ideas in case mine is not feasible either due to space or appearance.

Steve (Gazmosis) had a post a while back that had some excellent suggestions on staying hydrated while trooping.  It mentioned things like actually drinking plenty of water the day before, and the time leading up to a troop.  Hopefully he will re-post it, as I found it very helpful, and used that method ever since.

• Like 2

I haven't really had a problem so far, I make sure I have a break when I feel I need too, top up on fluids and fill up on fresh air

• Like 1

Hydration cannot be laterally compared or applied to every human being. Several factors contribute to one's ability or lack of ability to remain hydrated. Physical wellness, physical fitness, and body type are among a few. We as humans in todays world rarely drink the correct amount of water per day as required to achieve the term "hydrated". For us and what we do, in the armor we do it in, this is really important. Some individuals who are physically fit and exercise with great regularity have an efficient body that is trained to adjust to extremes for short periods of time. Others are not so lucky.  The equation is easy; in order for the body to remain at a constant temperature, it will react to whatever the outside influence that is attempting to disrupt that. If you are becoming too cold, the body shivers. If you become WAY WAY too cold, the body will draw blood away from all extremities (arms and legs) to and keep it at the center to protect vital organs. With heat, it's summed up in one word; sweat. The evaporation of sweat from the body cools it down. As long as there is enough fluid to create sweat, the body will adjust to the heat it is exposed to. In order to ensure this will happen during your time in armor, you need to already have this fluid present in your body which is why hydrating the night before is so important. "What if my troop is later in the day? Can't I hydrate in the morning?" When you are drinking great quantities of water over an extended period of time, the body can only absorb so much water. Some is absorbed but a lot gets processed and kicked out in the bathroom. This is not what you want happening while you are on a troop!!!   20 oz. of water per hour for 5-6 hours will guarantee that your body will be hydrated down to a cellular level for your troop the next day. Yes you will be in the bathroom a lot towards the end, but you will be ready the next day. Just lay off the coffee and other caffeinated drinks that actually force fluids out of you. 

• Like 6

Hydration cannot be laterally compared or applied to every human being. Several factors contribute to one's ability or lack of ability to remain hydrated. Physical wellness, physical fitness, and body type are among a few. We as humans in todays world rarely drink the correct amount of water per day as required to achieve the term "hydrated". For us and what we do, in the armor we do it in, this is really important. Some individuals who are physically fit and exercise with great regularity have an efficient body that is trained to adjust to extremes for short periods of time. Others are not so lucky.  The equation is easy; in order for the body to remain at a constant temperature, it will react to whatever the outside influence that is attempting to disrupt that. If you are becoming too cold, the body shivers. If you become WAY WAY too cold, the body will draw blood away from all extremities (arms and legs) to and keep it at the center to protect vital organs. With heat, it's summed up in one word; sweat. The evaporation of sweat from the body cools it down. As long as there is enough fluid to create sweat, the body will adjust to the heat it is exposed to. In order to ensure this will happen during your time in armor, you need to already have this fluid present in your body which is why hydrating the night before is so important. "What if my troop is later in the day? Can't I hydrate in the morning?" When you are drinking great quantities of water over an extended period of time, the body can only absorb so much water. Some is absorbed but a lot gets processed and kicked out in the bathroom. This is not what you want happening while you are on a troop!!!   20 oz. of water per hour for 5-6 hours will guarantee that your body will be hydrated down to a cellular level for your troop the next day. Yes you will be in the bathroom a lot towards the end, but you will be ready the next day. Just lay off the coffee and other caffeinated drinks that actually force fluids out of you. 

I second that. Although it may not be as hot here in the UK as elsewhere, we have out moments. I have only done 6 troops but for the last 4 have been drinking water little and often in the 24hr period leading up to the troop. What I have found is that I am not so thirsty on troop day and hardly need the bathroom. I sweat a lot - but thats the body cooling and I have drunk enough to allow for this. Switching to Under Armour bodysuit has helped a lot as the sweat is wicked away by the breeze. Even us Incinerators don't like it THAT hot ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Liking the camelback idea. I've seen a lot of cool stuff other troopers on here have been installing on their TK's. This may be the opposite of hydration but I may make my dropboxes function and put a little flask in there lol.