HOWTO: Make your ANOVOS TFA kit more accurate

SolderMaster

No, there is no fabric inside the torso...except for behind the chest pill holes.

They also used the same fabric as a poor man's fiberglass. In the kidney, where you see the tabs just like in the front, there are snaps on the strapping that connect to the kidney. This strapping is sewn right to the top of the butt plate. Through the armor.

The fabric on the butt plate is glued down via black epoxy in the upper left and right sides that connect to the strapping via a snap. Meaning, the snap has dual purpose. To connect the butt to the kidney and to hold this strap to the butt. 

The photo above is too poor to make out details...but the armor is not coated with fabric.

The strapping used for the butt...appears to be elastic belting 2 inches wide. There are 6 snaps spread out equally. 3 on one side and 3 on the other. In the middle of snaps 3 and 4, is a chunk of Velcro approx 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. 

Clear as mud again, huh?

Edited by SolderMaster
  • Like 2

Just curious if anyone has attempted to source a semi accurate version of the fabric for the pill holes yet? I've been doing so, with no luck thus far. Perhaps someone has fared better than I. My thought process is to cut out appropriately shaped pieces of the fabric, hem the edges about an inch larger than needed in each direction, and sew Velcro strips into that "extra" fabric surrounding the area to be covering the armor openings, and then put corresponding Velcro strips into the armor to attach it. That way, the fabric can be removed and washed (or replaced) as needed.

Just curious if anyone has attempted to source a semi accurate version of the fabric for the pill holes yet? I've been doing so, with no luck thus far. Perhaps someone has fared better than I. My thought process is to cut out appropriately shaped pieces of the fabric, hem the edges about an inch larger than needed in each direction, and sew Velcro strips into that "extra" fabric surrounding the area to be covering the armor openings, and then put corresponding Velcro strips into the armor to attach it. That way, the fabric can be removed and washed (or replaced) as needed.

Its actually made from Formica counter edge material I believe. I personally think Gaffers tape (outer side seen through the holes) will be the alternative, I believe Brian is using elastic. At this point it's anyone's guess and opinion.

Here's the gaffers tape on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZE3UJ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

EDIT: I think this may work for the TD also. The cap that sticks out in NOT painted but has what looks like gaffers or hockey tape around it.

Edited by ukswrath

how does it orient?

in other words do the long bricks go with the long side of the pill box or do the short ends?

also got a link to the formica?

Edited by rhapsodyred99

I spent 2 weeks online and at fabric stores looking for that pattern, nothing. The last fabric person I spoke with thought the fabric looked like knitting. Again who knows. 

• Like 1

I found an exact match to the fabric that anvos used. It was at Hancock Fabric, in Tacoma WA. I bought the bolt. I also ordered a case of White Eagle gloves.   

Once in Anaheim, face to face with the real-deal, I felt very foolish.

But who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

• Like 1

I found an exact match to the fabric that anvos used. It was at Hancock Fabric, in Tacoma WA. I bought the bolt. I also ordered a case of White Eagle gloves.   

lol

So you're saying the fabric you found is or isn't a match? Just be clear this fool (me) doesn't buy any more crap  :laugh1:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Haha, I feel you mate. I did the same mistake for a part on another costume.

Based all my search on a picture posted by someone, finally found an accurate match, bought a lot... and then realized the picture i followed was wrong. Now I don't know what to do with it :D!

lol

So you're saying the fabric you found is or isn't a match? Just be clear this fool (me) doesn't buy any more crap  :laugh1:

The fabric that I found was a match to the anvos fabric, but it did not match up to the fabric in the TFA room.

I asked the guys at the anovos booth and they told me that Dizney had their own custom textiles produced. Same with the gloves. 

• Like 2

The fabric that I found was a match to the anvos fabric, but it did not match up to the fabric in the TFA room.

I asked the guys at the anovos booth and they told me that Dizney had their own custom textiles produced. Same with the gloves. 

AHHHH! 

And let me guess, no one besides Disney has the fabric info?  

Correct.

All we can do is hope to find a match.

I asked anvose why they used a fabric that wasn't even close and I was told that they wanted to use something that "looks cool and is available". 

They did ask me what the difference was, stating that "black fabric was black fabric. They also asked me if I was an "uber accuracy nerd".

They obviously had no idea who they were dealing with when they went into business with the legion. 

• Like 5

Disney suits used formica. The fabric, it's still a mystery as to what they used. Could be a chunk of a dish rag that grandma knitted. <br><br>

The pattern was perpendicular to the pill holes.

Don't you talk about my grandma may she rest in peace :icon_beg:  

Disney suits used formica. The fabric, it's still a mystery as to what they used. Could be a chunk of a dish rag that grandma knitted. <br><br>

The pattern was perpendicular to the pill holes.

Do you have a good hi-res photo of the Dizny fabric? 

We have a few textile places in Seattle I could check out. 

So here is my question...it is just a matter of time until they get out, so how do we get access to the studio's 3D files to print por own suits? I can get access to the correct resin powder printer if needed, It will just cost a small fortune. Then it is just a matter of having the original files. <br>

Thoughts?

So here is my question...it is just a matter of time until they get out, so how do we get access to the studio's 3D files to print por own suits? I can get access to the correct resin powder printer if needed, It will just cost a small fortune. Then it is just a matter of having the original files. <br>

Thoughts?

Good luck.
  • Like 2

Can't you just take a pen, a sheet of paper and draw it? Or would it violate your NDA too.

Germain they are on us like white on rice with the NDA. As private as this form is, it's still public. Brian and others in his position are bound to even a higher standard until released from that obligation. 

Germain they are on us like white on rice with the NDA. As private as this form is, it's still public. Brian and others in his position are bound to even a higher standard until released from that obligation.

I wish I could post everything I have. Not only would I violate the NDA, but I would disappoint the folks who gave me an unbelievable opportunity to be a small part of history. I just can't break that trust. Not to mention the legality portion.

With that said, I hope most folks don't think I started this thread only to blow my own horn or whatever. I enjoy helping people build armor as accurate as possible. What I should have done was get my armor done first before starting this thread so I had something tangible to show...instead of....you should do this...for that, I appologize.

I do realize that many of you will read this and the previous 4 pages of this thread and think it's all here say until the movie comes out, and that's ok. I totally understand that prospective. We paid alot of well earned money on this kit and to hack it all up on 1 person's information sounds ludacris. But, I will keep answering questions and posting my own progress to help others.

• Like 5

Brian,

I will say thank you for your efforts here to assist us.  I'm in the same camp as Tony, in that I want to build my armor now, with level 3 ultimately in mind.  Some call that elitist, or a waste of time/effort/energy, but I firmly believe that as the "preferred costuming group" of LFL, we owe it to the public to give them the best possible representation of the characters seen on screen.

Also, as you said, we spent a lot of money on these kits.  I'd prefer to have it looking as much as possible like the ones on screen.  

You don't buy a Ferrari and head to Walmart to get some seat and rim covers. 

• Like 6

Brian,

I will say thank you for your efforts here to assist us. I'm in the same camp as Tony, in that I want to build my armor now, with level 3 ultimately in mind. Some call that elitist, or a waste of time/effort/energy, but I firmly believe that as the "preferred costuming group" of LFL, we owe it to the public to give them the best possible representation of the characters seen on screen.

Also, as you said, we spent a lot of money on these kits. I'd prefer to have it looking as much as possible like the ones on screen.

You don't buy a Ferrari and head to Walmart to get some seat and rim covers.

Same here. And anyone I help build, I build them with Centurion in mind. I enjoy finding the brass split rivets and buy as much as I can when I do find them. I always have the good elastic belting from Joanns to give to new troopers. I don't like using the cheap stuff. It has a pattern and usually turns into bacon after 2 or 3 troops. I use snaps that I buy from Tandy leather to use on their suits. I don't charge folks for the stuff. It's just something that I like doing. It's kinda my thing.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

McMaster item numbers.<br><br>

8694K84 - Neoprene foam. Adhesive backed 3/8" x 2" x 25' (I'm buying for 4 guys, there are smaller amounts with or without adhesive backing)<br><br>

8630K83 - Neoprene Spring Rubber 1" x 12" x 12" - again, I'm buying for 4 guys. A 6" x 6" x 1" would be plenty for 1.<br><br>

The spring rubber is cheaper than the "Isolate it" brand on ebay and amazon.

• Like 1