Pencap510's TFA Build Thread

Pencap510

• 2 weeks later...

So after a nice week long western Caribbean cruise vacation, it was time to get back to work. Didn't get as much done today as I would have liked due to some things- but I did complete attaching the ammo boxes to my ab plate. Here is how it all. Went down :

Started with some sizing, test fitting, sanding - repeat-

3yzd4Lsl.jpg

sAvDFffl.jpg

Once happy with the fit I applied super glue to the resin Insert on the inside of the box, and clamped it down to the ab-

f2DFKtWl.jpg

S9ndX5pl.jpg

I won't show all pictures along the way, just trust that it's like fitting TK ears, over and over again... Though with a little forgiveness. I had Only 1 casualty, when my screw accidentally went through the box. I was working with 2 sizes depending on how much resin there was.. This 1 time I chose POORLY.

ejyxuIJl.jpg

No fear, sanded it down, applied some epoxy putty- and carried on. Once it sets I'll sand it and it will be like new.

ppJZufcl.jpg

lYoHE5sl.jpg

IEbdGUdl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a ton more accomplished today - as I get closer to start rigging my set up. Today was another marathon build day- and I realized I did a terrible job of documenting all of the progress. Essentially all that's left to do before strapping then paint is to finish sanding down the bondo, build my belt, and finish the gaskets. Im building the anovos rubber ones for screen accuracy but my wife is also sewing a cloth set. She found some AWESOME material to use at Joanne's that was SUPER EXPENSIVE, but it looks just like the rubber. Shiny, but breathable and very light. I'll post some progress pics of that when she gets the ribbing done.

Any way- here is some fun stuff from. Today:

Build team in tact. My father in law got his hands dirty today #AWESOME

6cW08udl.jpg

Making the Chest piece better

wuMTicNl.jpg

iZkvX83l.jpg

After devcon and super glue to hold it in place, and a TON OF SANDING - it was flush and ready for bondo

SNI9Scjl.jpg

MJl4pcjl.jpg

Hit it with a little primer and only a few little dimples remained to putty

IMIFWkVl.jpg

Spat work-

tHxLBosl.jpg

ZjRFGZJl.jpg

raNkgEql.jpg

0GWWpFCl.jpg

5ROtlJYl.jpg

Forearm locked and loaded

o6sZCm0l.jpg

Don't fear, nobody panic!, we've got this under control :)

Iosnz8nl.jpg

As I said before , if building is an art-- then so is documenting it for a good build thread for others to follow. Im not quite a pro at either :)

So- our cloth gaskets are looking AMAZING ,but as many before me that have tried to do this- they are a TON of work. We are working to perfect the process and possibly offer a small batch up for fellow troopers, but until we can manage the build time and material cost- it will take some practice. The material alone to match the rubber gaskets is $35 a square yard. Not sure how many it will take at this point. But here is a small sample of what it looks like:

ZiMYCd7.jpg

Edited by Pencap510

So as I get closer to strapping and painting, I want to ensure I have the correct materials ready and at my disposal. I'm considering krylon fusion - plastic paint. Does anyone have any experience with this ? If so im assuming the high gloss? It also says no primer needed- but I'm just not sure I believe it. Any advice out there?

Working on rigging today and things are coming right along . First thing before I could start measuring and marking my belt was to be able to FIT THE THING AROUND ME- lol. I don't know why feared this, but it was time to cut the back. Quite simply actually :

8R9tmikl.jpg

My thought for rigging this to me is pretty simple. I'm going with nylon webbing, glued to one side, and industrial velcroed to the other. I felt with elastic it might give a little to much play especially after a long troop and sweating - so I made 8 inch pieces of webbing with 3.5 inch Velcro tabs so there's plenty of wiggle room.

3jM0lwjl.jpg

And it should sit right about here (top and bottom)

7s0RdYKl.jpg

Sewing on the Velcro:

bGl77EFl.jpg

Now on to some test fitting so I can mark some strapping points.

Feels good:

fKH4eTJl.jpg

Now observation and question. I noticed that when I tucked the butt plat directly under the belt, it flared WAY OUT. Simply not good :

pFSYPiZl.jpg

X7FigT0l.jpg

XbFLmQ1l.jpg

Now I found that if I tuck the butt plate sides under the belt a little bit, to rock it down- it looked MUCH BETTER. Is this normal? It works and it stays- but not sure if others have had this problem.

8SBanjKl.jpg

qU9DqgBl.jpg

And some full suit up shots, minus shins and bucket ( the top black belt is just holding the ab closed)

kBay07gl.jpg

sf5Nbvyl.jpg

umYBkkhl.jpg

So even though they are taking a while, my wonderful wife has found the magic touch with the cloth gaskets. She's using some rather expensive glossy fabric from Joanns- and an individual piece of yarn for each rib versus just sewing lines in fabric with batting as a filler. End result is beautiful. Here is an almost finished elbow next to the rubber counterpart

oVHNpSY.jpg

• Like 1

So I'll do my best to explain- I'll take better pictures when she's starting on the second elbow. Basically there are two layers of fabric to each gasket. The bottom when she's sewing (which will be the inside) is an under armor like material. Stretches well and will handle sweat. The top is the shiny "rubber" like cloth material. I'll try and get the exact name next stop at Joanns. She then lays down piece of yarn inside the two - and sews each individual rib. Here is the inside of the gasket before clean up, you can see the yarn that hasn't been trimmed yet

B26yB4G.jpg

And here is the completed gasket, next to the anovos

ndqcy2L.jpg

And here are a few side by side shots in armor of each cloth verse rubber. At two feet apart, I'm pretty sure you'd never know the difference

u3iPF8q.jpg

NpPOx6S.jpg

• Like 1

Very nicely done!

If possible could we get the name or the items number of the material used and where you purchased it? I would like to make of my own also but am having difficulty finding the right material.

Thanks

• Like 1