Favorite Tools

This is my first build, but now that I'm getting towards the 'home stretch' I thought I'd share a few tools that I found essential.

Curved Lexan Scissors

For me these work much faster and give me greater precision than using a dremel alone or doing 'score and snap' - the best $10 I spent! I do use a dremel to fine-tune edges, especially in areas the scissors can't reach well, but I have cut out almost all of my armor with these.

I had a hard time finding these at first, too, so I'm giving a link (below) in case it helps.

YJM9uDO.jpg

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O5KEG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Snap Fastening Pliers

This one may depend a bit on how you are doing your strapping. I am doing a lot of snaps - e.g. double snaps for all the main body strapping, and I'm using webbing for my snap plates. I have the 'hammer' type tool too, which helps in certain places where this can't reach, but I can make snap plates pretty quickly with this puppy.

qrtDoC0.jpg

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BB5GYS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Sanding Sponge (150 grit)

I use regular sandpaper too, but found that when it comes to finishing off the edges, the sanding sponge makes them feel super smooth - almost like they were 'made' that way. I love it!

aU3fnJF.jpg

Just had to share in case this helps someone.

What are your favorite tools?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2015 at 9:30 PM, Koyaanisqatsi said:

This is my first build, but now that I'm getting towards the 'home stretch' I thought I'd share a few tools that I found essential.

Curved Lexan Scissors

For me these work much faster and give me greater precision than using a dremel alone or doing 'score and snap' - the best $10 I spent! I do use a dremel to fine-tune edges, especially in areas the scissors can't reach well, but I have cut out almost all of my armor with these.

I had a hard time finding these at first, too, so I'm giving a link (below) in case it helps.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O5KEG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Snap Fastening Pliers

This one may depend a bit on how you are doing your strapping. I am doing a lot of snaps - e.g. double snaps for all the main body strapping, and I'm using webbing for my snap plates. I have the 'hammer' type tool too, which helps in certain places where this can't reach, but I can make snap plates pretty quickly with this puppy.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BB5GYS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Sanding Sponge (150 grit)

I use regular sandpaper too, but found that when it comes to finishing off the edges, the sanding sponge makes them feel super smooth - almost like they were 'made' that way. I love it!

Just had to share in case this helps someone.

What are your favorite tools?

Hey, noob talking here, why the curved lexans over straight?

I guess there must be a reason, like it makes it easier to cut because plastic doesn't bend like a piece of paper does or something... Thanks :)

Hey, noob talking here, why the curved lexans over straight?

I guess there must be a reason, like it makes it easier to cut because plastic doesn't bend like a piece of paper does or something... Thanks :)

I actually have a straight pair too, but there are so many curves that the curved scissors work best. They also help with trimming 'just a little bit'.

Tip: I find it helps to have the part i'm removing on the left (I cut with my right hand) and as I cut I peel the left piece up and forward. This creates a little more space for the scissors, and reduces the tension making it easier/smoother to cut. Does that make sense?

I am the type of person that HATES wearing gloves. But take my advice and buy a pair of cut resistant gloves. I have cut open my fingers with exacto blades and flat head screw drivers too  many times to remember during my build so far. Now I reluctantly wear them when doing something involving prying or cutting with a very sharp blade.