Phoenix Props ANH E-11 full kit build

VulpX

Okay, so here we are. a few hours later and with no more stinky paint smell in the apartment. Yay...

Second coat of primer:

ldGys4a.jpg

cOP4OZ9.jpg

And on to painting!

I used satin black for most pieces:

l3ERiL5.jpg

9EhxN7I.jpg

F5PPylS.jpg

I used up almost a whole can of the satin black on this first coating. I'm not satisfied with it yet, do I just went out and bought another can which I'll apply tomorrow. Dry time for this paint is 24 hours according to the instructions, but I'll just let it sit overnight and apply the second coat somewhere in the early afternoon tomorrow. 

I used a metal color for the bolt and the trigger group on the grip. Tomorrow I'll mask off the trigger group and spray the rest of the grip gloss black:

L2k9B5y.jpg

So that's it for today. Overall I'm quite happy with my colors. I think the satin black is not too shiny, and it will look awesome when it's put together somewhere in the coming days :) 

• Like 2

Nice one! You're pretty close now. Now, it's too late to say anything but I've never found the need to paint the tracks, unpainted they match the colors of the blaster really well. Hey, you had no problem with the paint sticking to them, so it's all good. I've heard people complain that paint doesn't stick well to them.

• Like 2

Nice one! You're pretty close now. Now, it's too late to say anything but I've never found the need to paint the tracks, unpainted they match the colors of the blaster really well. Hey, you had no problem with the paint sticking to them, so it's all good. I've heard people complain that paint doesn't stick well to them.

In hindsight I might have done that too. I have two layers of paint on them now but I think I have to do a third to get them neatly covered. Ow well... ;)

Your t-tracks are simply great and your whole blaster will that be too! :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks, I hope so too. I'll post pics this evening when I do the third coat on some parts and the gloss on the grip.

Ok, so some parts needed more coats than I had anticipated, so the update is a little later than promised. 

After the first 2 coats I masked the parts of the trigger group on the grip that I wanted in the metallic color:

wPuOL7n.jpg

WKjxMn6.jpg

And then I coated the grip with glossy black:

iD0RNpc.jpg

This is after a 3rd coat on most satin black parts:

coNAh0D.jpg

Vk08PWX.jpg

Scope and Hengstler looking good:

WkDJfDb.jpg

1lScssj.jpg

Yesterday I did some gluing of the tracks and the stock:

8mGByIs.jpg

x5ztr1m.jpg

I realized that not all parts of the grip needed that glossy look, so I once again masked a part of the grip, to give the rest a satin black coat:

XhONmdo.jpg

LopcBvI.jpg

And this is the status right now. The last coat is drying, I gave the assembled piece some cleanup touches where some unintentional weathering had already taken place, and gave the grip it's final satin black coat.

ApOIwff.jpg

So if all goed well tomorrow should be the day of final assembly!

Edited by VulpX

And final assembly is done! I glued the last pieces today, and screwed the last screws, and this is the result!

Masking worked really well, I have the grip exactly as I wanted it to be:

ihFmDoW.jpg

QBFdHyB.jpg

Attached the magazine:

XH806C0.jpg

Bolt inserted:

Qc3mScS.jpg

The bottom bolt in the grip:

cqt31Pv.jpg

Trigger and selector switch glued:

CNfqoMK.jpg

Bolts in the nose. The bolts were actually too long and wouldn't screw in, so I had to saw them and actually glue them in:

pzsLBZj.jpg

Guard glued

rjApuAm.jpg

And the result:

CVtoN8h.jpg

g8M4mbY.jpg

og1NY6X.jpg

gWbyWwF.jpg

0LrYYJs.jpg

I think I'll leave it at this for the time being. I think I'll weather it, but that's a job for another time. I have decided that I won't be using this one to troop, I think it's too fragile for that (and honestly a little too expensive  ;) ), so the next blaster build will be maybe a Rubies conversion? I don't know, something that will survive conventions  :P

So now I also need to build a display stand... 

Edited by VulpX
  • Like 2

I echo the others comments, a little dry brush silver is some spots will go a long ways. Not much, just a few touches.

As far as trooping, feel safe. If anything happens to it like the parts get broken during trooping I'll replace them for free. You just pay shipping.

Your build looks really great! The one thing I would really say needs to be done is on the bolt. The bolt should not be fully silver. The original bolts were silver on the raised edges and a more gunmetal on the lower sections, giving the bolts a two tone look.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys!

I will weather it some day, just not in the coming days/weeks  ;) I have a busy schedule coming up at work and my armor should arrive in the next few weeks too.

The thing I'm worried about with trooping is not parts breaking, but more the glue not holding on for example the tracks, the trigger and the guard. I will probably add some pins to the trigger to stabilize it. I used E6000 for all of my gluing, and I just have a feeling that a little rough handling will loosen the bond too much. But maybe I'm just being paranoid...

-edit- Ah well, maybe I will do some weathering this weekend  :P I have Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver acrylic paint that I use for gunpla, would that be a correct color for the blaster too?

As for the weathering itself, which parts should absolutely not have silver weathering? The scope and counter bracket should be brass, the grip, since it's a plastic. The T-tracks weren't metal originally either right? Ok, so now I just need to find brass colored acrylic paint. 

-edit 2 - found metallic brass Mr Hobby paint. Thank you Ebay  :duim:

Edited by VulpX

Your observations about what to weather are spot on.

T-Tracks were plastic so no need to weather them unless you want to imagine what material they should have been in the fantasy world of star wars.

I saw Captain_Wordo did that in his build, it looks pretty nice. I think I'll do a little less weathering than that, but having completely unweathered parts surrounded by weathering gives a weird effect, maybe.

I see there is nothing about the weathering in de CRL for ANH Stunt, so I guess that means it's up to the trooper what he/she wants.

Edited by VulpX
  • Like 1

I started weahering today. Happy with my progress. I do weather the t-tracks, because I agree that in-universe it would probably have been some sort of metal.

Gb9DoIc.jpg

T9kPoyR.jpg

v5Rmqqe.jpg

gMoIbPl.jpg

Doing good, it really makes the piece pop when you add the weathering.

Whats funny though is that you saif you'd probably not do as much weathering as Markus and ended up doing about the same amount  :laugh1:  Once you start, it's hard to stop.

• Like 1

Hahaha, yeah I saw that too when I went back to check on his weathering. It's like you say, once you start it's hard to stop. But that's kind of thing you need to be most cautious of too, because too much and the whole look suffers for it.

• Like 1

Derrek, how did you attach your trigger guard securely to the grip? I have glued mine twice already, but it's still pretty wiggly. It's the part I'm most concerned about losing during trooping. 

Derrek, how did you attach your trigger guard securely to the grip? I have glued mine twice already, but it's still pretty wiggly. It's the part I'm most concerned about losing during trooping. 

It is a fraglie ish piece due to it's limited surface. IF you use CA glue it will hold tight, since Ca doesn't allow any wiggle. To give it some additional hold after you can fill the holes with putty if you like.

It is a fraglie ish piece due to it's limited surface. IF you use CA glue it will hold tight, since Ca doesn't allow any wiggle. To give it some additional hold after you can fill the holes with putty if you like.

Hmm, ok, so I'll try a different glue first then. That comes later, I need to fix the colour of the bolt first, so I can't have the trigger too permanently attached now :P

*Need to find some good gunmetal colour spray*

Would this be a good colour? http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/catalog/product/view/_ignore_category/1/id/1491/

Edited by VulpX

Hmm, ok, so I'll try a different glue first then. That comes later then. I need to fix the colour of the bolt first, so I can't have the trigger too permanently attached now :P

*Need to find some good gunmetal colour spray*

What I did on some of my builds is to take a little black and drop in silver until I get the right coloration.

What I did on some of my builds is to take a little black and drop in silver until I get the right coloration.

Ah yeah, I could try that too.

Ah yeah, I could try that too.

When you only need a little bit, it's a waste to buy a full setup for it. Much more cost effective to mix up some and brush it on.