Posting in "watched" threads

Hi!

Meaning absolutely no disrespect, but hopefully addressing what I consider to be a nagging issue, I'd like to suggest threads being "watched", whether it be for merch runs or other announcements, be temporarily locked by the admins (until there is an update/news).  Alternatively, it could be made clear that no one else should post (other than those providing the info being watched for) in those threads.

It becomes a real problem when you've subscribed to multiple threads and people post, "This is great!" or "Watching!"  The sole purpose of these threads is to be notified, so each one of those posts triggers notifications for droves of people.

I completely understand people are not doing this on purpose, but I really think awareness of this should be spread, as it's a good piece of forum etiquette.

Thanks, and again not trying to be critical, just wanting a solution.

Edited by MechaPumpkin
  • Like 1

Seems to me that would also lock out members who may have something substantive to contribute to these threads.

I get your concern, especially if you are watching threads from several different forums. Your inbox can get full of irrelevant replies.

How about simply changing the notification settings for your watched threads to give you a daily or even weekly digest rather than an instant email for every single reply?

Edited by bobio

Seems to me that would also lock out members who may have something substantive to contribute to these threads.

I get your concern, especially if you are watching threads from several different forums. Your inbox can get full of irrelevant replies.

How about simply changing the notification settings for your watched threads to give you a daily or even weekly digest rather than an email for every single reply?

I don't think the solution to culling irrelevant /nuisance notifications is to postpone notifications to once a day or once a week as that function takes away from the purpose of the instant notification system. Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

Or you can change your settings to be notified via the FISD feed rather than by mail to avoid too much spam. If you check the FISD regulary it should be a good alternative.

sans_t12.jpg

sans_t11.jpg

Yes, i framed the wrong box for the "5."...

Edited by The5thHorseman

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 12:39 PM, Pickles said:

I don't think the solution to culling irrelevant /nuisance notifications is to postpone notifications to once a day or once a week as that function takes away from the purpose of the instant notification system.

His concern is that his inbox is full of irrelevant posts. Seems changing his own settings for his followed content to a daily or weekly digest is what he is looking for...

Edited by bobio
Removed Broken Photobucket Image Link

Bobio, you are incorrect.  I want to eliminate the irrelevant notifications, not eliminate my notifications altogether.

Also, I am not getting them to email, so that is not my concern at all.

Locitus, I also do not believe this is impossible, because I think a disclaimer before those types of threads could help, since that's the first (and sometimes only) post people read.  Locking them, or setting them to owner only posts, is also possible in some forum software, but I can't say if this one has that function.  If you're saying it doesn't, I believe you, so maybe just a general disclaimer then.  I really think people would notice, and maybe not do it so much.

Locitus, I also do not believe this is impossible, because I think a disclaimer before those types of threads could help, since that's the first (and sometimes only) post people read.  Locking them, or setting them to owner only posts, is also possible in some forum software, but I can't say if this one has that function.  If you're saying it doesn't, I believe you, so maybe just a general disclaimer then.  I really think people would notice, and maybe not do it so much.

Yes, those things could be done, but you're still asking software to make decisions on what is "relevant" and what isn't, and that is pretty hard. Billion dollar companies are made on just that.

Either way, we're not adding or going to try to add any of these features. Just fix your settings or subscribe to fewer threads. I managed to go for 5 years without subscribing to a single thread. You can too.

Likewise, I too hate it when people post just for the sake of posting, without contributing to the topic. In fact, it's worse than not posting anything, because it's buries the good posts under a bunch of junk. But trying to make people stop doing that is just as impossible as what you're asking for. It's also pointless as people will just do it anyway.

(If you really want to piss me off, make 20 or so identical, useless posts in the introductions-section. That will fill up my "new content" view with absolute junk.)

• Like 1

I understand your frustration, Dan. When you are following a topic like a merchandise thread, and you just want to know when the next run opens again, and all you get are daily "Interested!" posts, getting your hopes up. It would be nice if there was a way to only receive a notification when the original poster responds, but that's just the way all these forums work. On the flip-side of that, in the case of build-threads, you actually want every notification when someone chimes in with advice or questions. 

• Like 1

Exactly.  I am not asking for an AI to be built.  I am not in any way shape or form asking for an automated system to distinguish between important and unimportant posts, nor did I say ANYTHING to that effect.  

As previously stated . . . 

Perhaps authors of such threads can say something along the lines of, "Follow this thread if you want to know when new patches will be available.  Please don't reply indicating you are following, as that will notify all others following. Thank you."

Or alternatively the op could lock the thread until there is further news.  Threads can be locked.  Most posts like this have been started by detachment staff, who I believe have the ability to do so.  If they can't . . . okay.

I am not talking about all threads.  This is a very specific type I am referring to.

Edited by MechaPumpkin

Clearly this is not a crisis issue, it is an issue of politeness. It's simple forum etiquette.

Generally we do not post in all uppercase letters. Why? There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's considered improper and can be interpreted as rude.

Along the same lines, it is pointless (and can be quite annoying) to post things like, "I'm interested" or "I'm following this thread" on a thread where people are specifically subscribed to in order to receive pertinent information.

I can understand what Mathias is saying if it was a general discussion thread where a conversation is expected, but people should be more conscious and considerate when it comes to an information announcement thread.

I am actually surprised that it is not common practice to have an information thread locked where only admins can post information, such as a merch run starting.

• Like 2

Alright. I see what it is you're asking for now. I suppose we could do that in the cases moderators are posting (why would non-staff post info/merch threads anyway?). I guess the reason why we're not doing this already is because if I remember correctly, this used to be less of an issue when we had fewer members and maybe more "forum-polite" ones too. Online ethics take a while to learn and lately we have seen a huge influx on new members that might not be used to how we do things around here.

registrations.png

• Like 3

Since patches were specifically called out, I can't help but assume this is all about the topic I started letting people know they were in the works. If that was something I wasn't supposed to do, then I apologize. Moderators, feel free to lock or delete that thread. Here is the link. I'll simply post the actual thread when they're ready.

Personally I see it happening in the patches and racing shirts threads right now. Just have a look at the most recent posts. That said, those are the only two I'm following.

I'm going to have side both with Cranky the Swede on this one and Captain Hippy Longhair. 

Here are my opinions on the matter: 

• The staff is already overwhelmed with the uptick in traffic and can barely keep up even reading posts. 
  • Even if we locked one thread another one will (and has) popped up about shirts, patches, and other swag. I tried it. It happens. 
  • Posting "I'm interested!" in a thread that isn't actually asking for people to say they are interested is pointless and should be discouraged. I've discouraged it (and posting your paypal transaction IDs) in the past but as often as I've said it people don't read the whole thread and do it anyways.
  • Both the racing shirts and patches will be sold in different threads than the ones people are incessantly posting in so following them does little. 
  • People are swag crazed. 

I suggest unfollowing those types of threads and bookmark them for later viewing instead. Or just stop their notifications and just check your "subscribed" threads on tapatalk now and then. 

-Eric

• Like 2

Okay, these are very good answers, and thanks!

I understood I was supposed to follow those two threads for news, and I was afraid I was going to miss something.

If the bottom line is that the recent increase in traffic has lead to a bit of chaos, I completely understand that you don't need another job.  If locking and unlocking threads is a pain, I get it. I didn't realize it was difficult to do, I've never been a mod (so, I appreciate that actual staff have responded to this thread).

I also didn't realize that there had previously been attempts made to discourage responding to the threads, made in the initial post.  If that doesn't work at all, I'd give up too.

No worries, just trying to be a helpful member of the community.  I appreciate the feedback, everyone.  I'll probably turn off my notifications completely and just check my subscribed threads on Tapatalk.  I always knew this was an option, but it just seems a shame to abandon the entire notification system.  In non-merch threads (like my build thread), it was very useful.

Thanks everyone! Let me know if I can ever be of help!

Hey guys,

It sounds like the same root cause of people asking the same questions over and over again, when they are already established in a 1st page thread. As an example, multiple Anovos threads asking the same one or two questions. Most genuinely want to contribute, but some just want to get their answers. If I see people asking questions, where the answers are easy to find, I try to post the link there instead of handing out the info. I'm pretty sure in the getting started thread it says to not do what you are complaining about.

Also, I was with my family yesterday and my 16 year old sister was showing me something on her tablet and the content between her and her friends may be part of it. It seems all of the younger people, (I'm only 23, so I mean teenagers/pre-teens)are putting out content that was really only about themselves. Not all, but most were just statements relating to what they thought about something, and not so much a contributing response to move the flow of the conversation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it can't be fixed and it is the way media seems to be moving, especially in the younger crowd, (including myself this time). Regardless if it is wanted, you put your thoughts out there, even if it doesn't contribute and add new content to the discussion. The poster just assumes it is warranted.

Hmm, Yes I realize I just did the things I explained. But if you guys figure out how to stop Dan's issue, you should maybe give a crack at solving the world's problems as well!

• Like 1