Original Stormtrooper Battle Spec

Hi there,

I am pretty new here so my apologies if I make a fool of myself =/ I don't have the talent required to build so much as a birdhouse (technology and design in high school was a nightmare) so I have ruled out being able to build a set of stormtrooper armor myself. I have heard a lot of (YouTube) reviews about the Original Stormtrooper Battle Spec armor developed by Shepperton Design Studios (SDS) and I was wondering if any troopers had purchased their armor and if they had what the quality of it was. Is it suitable for enlistment in the 501st or would it require modifications upon reciept? My apologies again if it is a foolish question.

Many thanks

Phrophet91

It's a decent suit, but it needs modifications to be approved. It's also quite expensive for a ready-made of that level of quality (ie not so high). Neither is it "original" either.

Slightly more expensive, but far higher quality options for ready made suits are to contact RS Props or TrooperMaster who build far more accurate suits.

What sort of modifications would be required? Do troopermaster have a website by the way? I was looking at RS Propmasters suit and the problem is my feet are a massive Size 12 (UK) and they only cater up to Size 11's - adding the cost of boots ontop of the suit itself may be beyond my budget at present =/

What sort of modifications would be required? Do troopermaster have a website by the way? I was looking at RS Propmasters suit and the problem is my feet are a massive Size 12 (UK) and they only cater up to Size 11's - adding the cost of boots ontop of the suit itself may be beyond my budget at present =/

Troopermaster does not have a website, but he is on facebook, and also here on the forum by the same username.

If the cost of boots are the deciding factor I think this might be the wrong hobby for you, as you will encounter a lot of far more expensive items you'll want to buy later on. If you don't have the money right now, hold your horses and save up for a while longer.

Also worth noting is that a commission from RS or TM are rarely paid in full up front so you'll have plenty of time to save up for your boots.

Wel, actually its not the cost... the thing is, I have no idea what way the RS Props Commission suits are held together. As I have little to no knowledge of the suits themselves I am wary when considering having to change several of the parts around. I am not sure for instance if I bought a set of appropriately sized boots off Jedi-Robe that they would match the RS Props suits, or even fit them (I have no idea if the shin guards are actually connected directly to their boots). Do you happen to know how the set is held together (velcro/clips/etc) and whether parts like the boots may be interchangeable from other sellers? My apologies again for any inconvenience. 

There is not inconvenience. The only bad question is the one not asked.

There a few things that answer your questions regarding the RS commissioned suits. First off, RS builds their suits as close to the original suits as possible. The actual armor parts are glued together. The parts themselves are held together with elastic of correct dimensions

that are glued or riveted to the inside of the suit  with the hardware that replicates the ones used on the original suits. There are also elastic straps with snaps that connect certain parts to allow them to be worn and taken off with ease as well as stored and transported.

Just because you order your suit from RS doesn;t mean you need to get their boots. Boots can be purchased separately and painted like the originals.

Would the boots from Jedi-Robe for instance be a different shade of white to the RS suits (and therefore require painting?), they and their subsidaries seem to be the only organization who can procure the boots in my size (keeping in mind my feet are quite large ^^). Also, would you happen to know if there would be any risk of the elastic straps snapping during certain movements (i.e. running/jumping) or would they be relatively sturdy? (Those two would probably be my major concerns).

Would the boots from Jedi-Robe for instance be a different shade of white to the RS suits (and therefore require painting?), they and their subsidaries seem to be the only organization who can procure the boots in my size (keeping in mind my feet are quite large ^^). Also, would you happen to know if there would be any risk of the elastic straps snapping during certain movements (i.e. running/jumping) or would they be relatively sturdy? (Those two would probably be my major concerns).

All boots will have a different shade from your armour. Don't worry about it. Also, don't shop from jedi-robe. Their quality is shucks.

The elastics are also not something to worry about.

If you delve a little deeper into this massive resource , you will find other makers here. With armour of varying sizes etc.

You mentioned you take a large shoe size, how about your height and overall build?

You see, different armour fits different sized people, example, AP (Authentic Props) fits a person with a 32-34 inch waist without need for modification. It is height suitable for 5'6 to 6, also with out the need for too much trimming or mods.

AM armor on the other hand was designed with extra material to suit a larger trooper, as is RT-Mod, good for 6' plus, so you see , more research will yield a better result for you. Give us some dimensions and we can point you in a better direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Send Mark a PM, he is AP. ABS80 here on the boards.

I have AP and love it, I'm 5'10" and trimmed things a little, so it might be a good kit for you.

Also try ATA, although I believe they have quite a long waiting list at the moment.

Also MTK is a great option, seems to me you have quite a choice, good luck on your quest, it's heaps of fun.

Send Mark a PM, he is AP. ABS80 here on the boards.

I have AP and love it, I'm 5'10" and trimmed things a little, so it might be a good kit for you.

Also try ATA, although I believe they have quite a long waiting list at the moment.

Also MTK is a great option, seems to me you have quite a choice, good luck on your quest, it's heaps of fun.

ATA and MTK do not sell ready-made, only kits. AP is Canadian and it appears at least OP is British and would probably prefer to buy domestic to skip cross-atlantic shipping and import fees.

• 1 month later...

I am also from Northern Ireland, surfing the forums endlessly to prepare for my Anovos build. In relation to the boots I went for those Amazon chelsea boots, hopefully they'll work. Bought them a while back to get some use out of them while they're black.

Look forward to joining the Ireland Legion some day!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk