Need a little guidance from experience.

OK I have been on the forum reading and reading for a few months now and I am looking for a little wisdom from experience.

I am just finishing my Sterling blaster and am getting ready for the armor. I have emailed my local 501st but have not gotten a reply yet. I also just signed up today and sent them another email. Just want you guys to know I am trying here. ;)

I think I have my choice narrowed down to AP/authenticprops and RT-Mod. From what I have seen and read they are both great armor and I am sure I would be happy with both. I have been in communication a bit with Rob adn he seems like a real great guy to deal with. I have read a bit about sizes and I know the whole one size fits all trim story. But, I also know that some are larger than others. I believe RT to be one of those? I am 5'8" and 175lbs (a bit short to be a stromtrooper) :D so just wondering if the AP would make a difference. Both kits are about the same price. I am looking for a good quality but not insane break the bank quality. Mostly this will be on a mannequin in my den/office but I do plan to join the 501st and troop in CT as much as my flying schedule allows with 7 days on 7 days off. So looking for pros cons whatever you can give me.

Like I said I have my thoughts from my research but would like some from the experts.

Edited by Luke S

yeah totally go for the AP, RT is geared more for the 6 foot 200lbs troopers

Thanks guys that is the way I was leading too. I have spent the whole day on the site trying to make a decision and I think I have it. From what I have read the RT would be a bit too large for me and the AP would be a much better fit.

I think it was Chester? that had the great AP tutorial. Thanks to him that was an awesome read. You did half the work for me. lol

Go AP...Did you e-mail the GML directly? Also, most garrisons have a forum that they will allow prospective candidates to join so I recommend going to your garrisons website and try joining their forums. It's one way for them to see your serious. Where do you live? Finally, I guarantee you after that first time trooping, you'll know what a rock star feels like and you'll always want to troop. Your armor won't spend a whole lot of time on a manaquin.

Go AP...Did you e-mail the GML directly? Also, most garrisons have a forum that they will allow prospective candidates to join so I recommend going to your garrisons website and try joining their forums. It's one way for them to see your serious. Where do you live? Finally, I guarantee you after that first time trooping, you'll know what a rock star feels like and you'll always want to troop. Your armor won't spend a whole lot of time on a manaquin.

Thanks Marvinrobot. No I emailed one of the legion officers of my local CT USA garrison. I can't remember which one. It was shortly after I joined the FISD forum when I saw some of you recommend that avenue. Yes I registered for the forum yesterday so I hope to be able to hit my local forum in a few days when they unlock it for me.

And yes unless I find some glaring reason it is AP for me. Sorry I lost you for a second, GML is? It stinks being a padawan.

I would like to be active it is just the pilot schedule that makes it tough. I know my schedule a year in advance, the problem is it is fixed, so I work every other week 7 days on 7 days off. Weekend troops are a 50/50 shot. I already see a couple events on the schedule within 20 minutes of my house but I will never have my armor done in 2 months. The other schedule killer is a 20 month padawan and a negative 6 month padawan. My wife encourages my SW hobby and even enjoys SW herself but when I am home ever other week taking off to go trooping won't go over big. Once in a while I am sure will work.

Thanks again for the help guys. ;)

Well, I dont want to throw a wrench in this but I dont agree about the sizing. The RT will fit you fine as well. I am also 5'8" and 175 or so. The RT fit me GREAT and was one of my favorite armors. RT is only 5'10" or so and about 170 I think. He made it for himself originally. I have seen his armor on many people and it pretty much always looks great. Now - IF you are overweight, this armor will cover it up nicely. It also comes completely trimmed, and nicely done I might add.

That being said, I too would buy the AP, because its more authentic than the RT. Its a bit more in cost though, and you will have to cut ALOT.

Sorry I lost you for a second, GML is? It stinks being a padawan.

Garrison Membership Liaison, if you go to the 501st.com you can see the garrison officers for each one. The GML is responsible for receiving applications etc.

Sorry I lost you for a second, GML is? It stinks being a padawan.

Garrison Membership Liaison, if you go to the 501st.com you can see the garrison officers for each one. The GML is responsible for receiving applications etc.

Thanks I knew it was something like that. Well should be on their forum shortly. An old classmate of mine and his wife are on the list of officers. Just waiting for the email confirmation.

Actually don't mind the tedious cutting and rather enjoy making things myself. You can check out my graflex saber on my welcome newbie post. As for teh price actually the AP is just a bit less according to my findings. Either way they both look great and have great reviews. What ever way I go I am sure I will be happy.

I seem to recall talking with RT about his armor before I bought my AP. He told he resized his armor some time ago making it bigger than his original suit. So TK-4510 do you have one of his original models or the newer one? I'm 5'7" and AP fits pretty good. To get a fast start on the armor you should hold an armor party with your local garrison. That first cut is a tough one. I held an armor party to help get my armor started and it was a big help. Fortunately for me my garrison is full of guys who are a big help. There are some guys on here as well who do armor assembly for $$. They do anything from trimming to full assembly. PM me if you want to know more on that subject. I think spring and summer are big trooping months so would be nice to get your armor done by summer.

I seem to recall talking with RT about his armor before I bought my AP. He told he resized his armor some time ago making it bigger than his original suit. So TK-4510 do you have one of his original models or the newer one? I'm 5'7" and AP fits pretty good. To get a fast start on the armor you should hold an armor party with your local garrison. That first cut is a tough one. I held an armor party to help get my armor started and it was a big help. Fortunately for me my garrison is full of guys who are a big help. There are some guys on here as well who do armor assembly for $$. They do anything from trimming to full assembly. PM me if you want to know more on that subject. I think spring and summer are big trooping months so would be nice to get your armor done by summer.

Thanks kiyotei, and yes somewhere on this forum rob mentions making it bigger. I really think AP is the way to go for me. I am sure I could trim his and make it work but when spending this kind of $$$ I want it to look the best it can.

As for help I am a DIYer all the way. I enjoy jumping into a project that I know nothing about. 3 years ago I buillt my own house. I had help with my dad a bit with sheetrock and I had a framer but the rest was me Google and Home Depot. I doubt I will make this summer in fact know I won't this will be a winter project most likely for next summer. I will carefully do the lid first so I have something to look at and enjoy while I wait for the rest.

Actually he is 6 foot 210, at least that is what he told me. ;)

The email he sent me says it will fit a 6'2" by 210lb person. He never told me how big he was but this is what the RT cna accomodate. I think us smaller guys are better with the AP.