CRXPanda's Rebuild Thread

Sorry to chime in so late on this. Have you got your forearms sorted out yet?

As a suggestion, rather than shortening them any further, you could trim the scalloped section where you bend your arms. Just follow the curve and take out a few mm from there to allow you to bend freely.

Also I would trim the back plate from the tabs at the top to shorten them and allow a closer fit to the tabs from the chest plate, then make other adjustment as necessary at the neck if even needed.

It means you will have to shorten those shoulder elastic straps or make new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't visited the arms since skimming about 1/8 off the wrist of one so it would match the other. The wrist end I trimmed still had some return edge, the other did not.

I have seen others scalloping the bend area. I haven't done that because I did not know if it was 501 legal.

Edited by CRXPanda

**updates at the end**

I'm about to give up shimming these calves.

Not totally, I've come too far to turn back now.

They don't want me to work on them. If they did, they would stop flying out of my hands across the room.

The industrial Velcro loop currently on them won't budge so I'm trying the freezer trick. I got the Velcro hook off days ago. I was going to use the loop side but alas, my calves are so fat the shim just won't reach. I made a shim, glued, and shaped (thought this was going to work and even started a blog entry) but when it came down to attaching the hook side the bottom part only reached the loop. So I scrapped that piece of shim and started over. My shim has to be a triangle. My calves are larger and my ankles smaller than the previous owner. I'm leaving the ankles alone therefore the shim looks triangular. I tested a simple strip idea, and that fell apart because the gap for the calf is three times larger than the bottom.

I would attempt to heat the shim with a heat gun to bend to the shape of my leg, but I don't want to damage the armor. I also don't have enough confidence in my flexibility to use said heat gun on the back of my leg. I've already lost my balance and fell on the floor, doing the glue and Velcro attempt.

Also afraid to do the boiling water method because again, I don't want to damage the leg., or burn myself. I have a high pain threshold, so I mean seriously burn myself.

I also tried to use thin sign to make a pattern...that resulted in the calf shooting across the room from the tension.

I would leave a pic but the iPad apps don't get along with Tapatalk. I'm exhausted from fighting with these legs so I don have the energy to fight with stupid app compatibility problems. So for those of you who read this have an idea I have not listed above, please leave the idea and I will try. Just remember, I'm in solitude, so the ideas have to be performed solo. The family cannot help because they just can't conceive one bit of this build, let alone help with it.

UPDATE:

Aha! Dropbox hasn't failed me!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iazo3cj1827sr2v/Photo%20Apr%2015%2C%2011%2054%2018%20AM.jpg?dl=0

As you may see, the gap is pinching my flesh--another problem when trying to shim.

I'm going to attempt http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/shims.html. The freezer method worked like a charm. The Velcro adhesive remains, but I'll get it off later, or leave it-since I plan to use 2" or 3" Velcro loop on the inside for mine because I am having so much trouble sizing the strip to fit.

Edited by CRXPanda

Update: So far so good. The loop Velcro is attached on the inside of both legs. I sprayed the surface with 70% alcohol so the sticky wouldn't stick so fast, and I could position it on the inside.

I have nerve damage so some days are better than others. Today was not one of those days. Wrestling with the leg armor trying to keep them open, did not help.

Tomorrow I will make two more shims and attach the hook Velcro.

Questions below in the body of post.

Please help.

Put on most of the armor while wearing UnderArmour.

image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

Did not put on neck seal....well I did, but it drove me nuts. I'll figure a workaround for the discomfort later, whether it be medication or numbing cream...something to keep me from impulsively reaching up and snatching it off. Any suggestions?

What I learned and so forth:

~Forearms need more trimming. They still extend over my wrists causing the hand plates to scoot over my fingers. I don't have room remaining at the wrists to trim without compromising one of the 11 depressions. My forearm measures 9" from elbow to wrist. The forearm of the armor measures 10" from elbow to wrist. Inside it measures 8 1/2" and mine is 7 1/2". How do I trim one inch off the arm without compromising the integrity?

~Biceps seem to be a good fit, finally. I have not done the elastic to connect shoulder to forearm-not doing that until they all fit.

~Thigh strap hang-downs need to be shorter/belt tighter. The thighs and belt kept working their way down as I walked. I positioned the belt above my belly hoping it would not work down. It did. I tried the hip location first, but the belt worked down under my gut and could be seen on the sides of the cod.

~Have not picked up my belt yet so I used a temporary elastic to hold front and back because I also have not re-made side elastic snaps until I get the side gap panels finished.

~Cod plate "end" feels like I'm wearing an athletic cup. Is it supposed to be this way? Am I allowed to bend it in some so it doesn't impact the sides of my groin as I walk?

~Back overlap is unavoidable. I needed 1 5/8" to trim, and I have probably trimmed 3/4" so far without compromising the rivets on the side of the kidney plate that must match the rivets on the ab plate. Cannot trim the back. Cannot take any off the shoulder strap area because the neck opening is already touching my neck as it is,. On the bottom, there is a return edge, and I think 7/8" is too much to come off and not be noticed. What do you think?

Comments?

Edited by CRXPanda

Update: Belt complete.

Will attach holster tomorrow. I remembered the holster after I glued the belt squares. They're being held by clamps, so I'll do the holster when the glue dries.

Pictures to be added tomorrow.

20150419_091953.jpg20150419_091956_1.jpg20150419_092001.jpg

The questions on the previous post are still open for answers.

That is all.

Edited by CRXPanda

Update: body thighs belt

20150419_103649.jpg

Questions? Comments? Opinions?

(The thighs are not really that high. My back parts are not on. I'm holding the chest with my chin, and the crotch strap with my right hand, so the body dropped a little.)

Edited by CRXPanda

Neck seal:

For those of you with sensitive necks. I made a fix.

"Priest Collar" velcro mounted to the inside so it keeps the fabric away from your skin.

I made it from scrap strips.

Pictures coming...

20150419_194707.jpg" alt="20150419_194707.jpg">20150419_194926.jpg" alt="20150419_194926.jpg">20150419_194949.jpg" alt="20150419_194949.jpg">

Edited by CRXPanda

I'm in a holding pattern for my bucket. Squad leader said he should be done with it this week.

http://tkarmor.blogspot.com/2015/05/holding-pattern-and-update.html

...in the meantime I'm

helping a Biker Scout get done before the SWW cut-off.

Edited by CRXPanda

Nice tip on the Elmers glue masking. I've never seen that before.

It's a workaround I came up with in 6th grade with my dollhouse.

Mad skills.

LOL

47174984.jpg

Edited by CRXPanda

Throwback Thursday a day early.

As I painstakingly cut the lines out of the teardrop I printed from a file I've had for 4 years... I remembered making my own stencils back in 2004 for the thing I'm partially named after.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/301330/1987-honda-crx/#.VUmrI8tqgRg.blogger

Edited by CRXPanda

Everything fixed and painted and sized except for ...

((((((THE ^EVIL^ SHINS))))))

Every size tutorial and suggestion failed.

I gave up, but before I set them on fire...

I cut them down the front.

Guess what I found out???

They were assembled as two insides together and two outsides together.

Grrrr Hisssss

The witches aren't going to burn at the stake today. One more rehabilitation attempt.