Hard lens installation idea....

Hi all!  Just discovered something on a trip to Lowe's, it's called SUGRU.  It is a glue that you can knead like Play-Doh, and worked perfectly for attaching the hard lenses inside my bucket.  It comes in small packets of 4, and was located on the paint-desk counter.  Since the inside return edges (pre-cut) on my eye openings were not symmetrical, I thought this might work, and it certainly did.  You just knead it for a few seconds, roll it into a strip, place it around the edge, put the lens where you want it, and press it up against both tightly.  Like E-6000, it takes a 24 hours to dry, though, (as if we aren't all used to this), but it does not drip or run!  The only thing is that I would recommend that you check the outside of the eye opening right after, in case some gets squeezed through, and wipe the lenses immediately.  I did find that although it adheres really well, it is MUCH easier to get off than E6K.  Hope this helps someone! 

Addendum:  (Thanks to Locitus, It is advisable to leave a small gap somewhere around the lenses to allow for air flow, so that they will not fog-up.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Ironically enough Joseph - I had been looking for a solution to this very problem. I had originally used very small strips of sticky velcro at the bottom, and top two corners of each of my lenses. During the SWW troops- I found that the extreme heat was causing the "sticky" part of the velcro to fail and started sliding--- making the velcro visible from outside my bucket. This seems like a perfect solution!

Question- is it reusable?

Unfortunately no, Ty, (although at that price you'd think so)!  It says it is "removable", but so far it has held on like a champ, even in our Florida heat and humidity.  It is like 2 part epoxy, though, meaning once you expose it to air, you  can't re-seal it, although it does have quite a long working time.  The only downside is that each packet contains a different color, (though not marked which one is inside).  Not really a big deal, as it doesn't show on the outside, (and who the heck looks that far inside your bucket anyway), but being a bit OCD I just had to paint it black nonetheless.  :blink:  Hope this helps, and looking forward to trooping with ya' again!

The way I did mine was to just put a few blobs of Sugru in several corners. I wasn't intentionally thinking about not sealing the eye holes completely, but I haven't had problems with fogging lenses.

16356520292_e079782a3f.jpg

It says it is "removable", but so far it has held on like a champ, even in our Florida heat and humidity.

If you go to the company site, it states, "Sugru can be removed by cutting it off with a sharp knife." You basically have to cut it off if you want to remove it and it isn't reusable.

• 2 weeks later...

No constant pressure needed,  Darren.  You just stick it on, attach the lenses, and let it dry.  I would recommend putting it face down while it dries, though.

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2015 at 3:09 AM, Pencap510 said:

I'm at Lowe's now I don't see the sugru but I do see the JB Weld. Gonna give it a go

Here is what I got

(And why is it only posting the link and not the image when I use the image tag coding ???? Argh)

How did the JB WELD hold over time?