TheCrazyKid (that's me) attempts an AP armor build....HELP!

TheCrazyKid

So my brown box full of white plastic arrived today. Thank you Mark from AP! BTW, his customer service through the buying process has been outstanding! I'm 98% excited and 2% overwhelmed...or maybe it's 98% overwhelmed and 2% excited...it's kinda hard to tell at this point! Either way I'm going to start this build. My starting point of choice is the bucket. I'm an ask three times, measure twice and cut or glue once kinda guy. I'd prefer to take the extra time to thoroughly research it, upgrade it and do it right the first time rather than correct and/or upgrade later. I have been spending a lot of time on the forums here doing research but nothing beats direct input from you guys. I welcome any and all input and the more specific the better. So let's start with my bucket build. Any specific tips, advice, pitfalls, etc you have to share with me?

Thanks in advance for your time!

post-21044-0-63513500-1424935211_thumb.jpg

First question: Regarding the neck trim: What does the "S" trim look like before it's installed on the helmet? My kit came with what I would call the "U" shaped trim (see pic). I'd like to go with the recommended "S" type however I can't picture in my head what that should look like uninstalled and so far I can only find pics on here of it after installation.

post-21044-0-98655400-1424935862_thumb.jpg

Second question: Regarding the teeth: I've seen several builds where a black mesh of sorts has been installed on the inside of the helmet which can then be seen in the openings of the teeth. I don't see anything in the CRLs regarding this. Is this acceptable for 501st approval. I really like the look and want to do it but only if it's approved. Again, thank you for your time.

I will try to take a picture of my S trim that's in my ATA helmet kit tonight for you if i don't forget. You can also see a photo of s trim on trooperbay's web store. It looks a bit different than the trim on my RS helmet and the one that came with my ATA kit but should be fine.

For the mesh behind the teeth/frown, I think it is okay to have for basic 501st approval but maybe not for Expert infantry or Centurion clearance. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can provide you with a definite answer.

Congrats Dave on your kit by the way and really hope you enjoy building it. Stick to your process of ask three times, measure twice and cut & glue once and you will be fine. I made a few irreversible mistakes by skipping that method a few times. But it was a fun learning experience. Certainly feel free to keep asking questions,lots a members here to provide you with the answers you need. Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses! Good luck!

Hi TCK, sorry I have a habit of abbreviating peeps names.

You will need to replace the tap aerators that come with the AP bucket.

If you want a super accurate mic tip, you should check out CFO (Cast from original) they are moulded off the correct item for the mic tips. He is sskunky, here on the forums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a Stormtrooper kit from AP and love it. The trim on my helmet is crazily not even glued! It's tight enough to stay in place. I purchased the headset helmet liner from Trooperbay. Now, on his video for applying the caps for the liner, he uses hotglue. Instead, I used Industrial strength velcro. That way you can get it installed and make your adjustments. Eventually I'll update the helmet liner with tactical helmet padding; which you wouldn't be able to to do if you hotglue the caps.

• Like 1

Update:

I ordered the "S type" trim, darker green lens material, helmet paint and helmet liner from trooperbay today. I also contacted Mark about screen accurate mic tips and ordered military helmet padding from amazon.

Step one today was to paint the inside of my bucket black. Worked out pretty good. I have a little overspray to clean up but that's easy.

post-21044-0-28588400-1425707735_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheCrazyKid

The one thing I notice about AP is a lot of parts are mirrored. The left outer and right inner shin are the same, shoulder bells, forearms and biceps are all mirrored as well. I'm not exactly happy with AP for this, but it is what it is. So far my parts are coming together ok at least.

• Like 1