Did I trim the opening of my helmet too much?

XiliX

Last night I trimmed the opening on the bottom of the helmet through which your head goes.  I'm still test fitting everything.  I followed the casting lines from the mold.  Once I had the opening at the bottom trimmed and sanded, I wanted to test fit the neck trim.

The bottoms of the ears on each side are just even with the edge of the opening.  This means that either the neck seal will overlap the bottoms of the ears, or the ears will overlap the neck.

Is this common?  Have I trimmed too much?  Should I notch the neck seal?  Should the lower ear overlap?  I could not find a thread discussing it.  Please lend me your advice.  If it's one thing I've seen on this forum it's that seldom is there a problem that this group can't over come.  Oh, and yes, that is a can of Zombie Dice in the second pick.  Thanks for any and all advice.

Left side

2WWoEGz.jpg

Right side

zXZVRxV.jpg

Thanks Locitus.  This is my first build and just want it to come out well.

I don't want to clutter the boards with lots of "New Topics", so while we're on the subject of the neck trim... When I was test fitting the neck trim, It bunched up in a few places.  This occurred when it went around a sharp curve in the opening of the helmet.  Is there a way to prevent this?  Should I trim the corner where if bunches up more?  Should I heat and bend that area of the opening a bit to make the curve a little more subtle?

You could make small cuts into it to allow it to bend over itself a little easier. But don't overdo it and don't cut all the way through it, you want one continuous piece.

Had the same problem but didn't cut it, just glued it.

Sorry, I cannot paste links from my computer at work, but in my signature below you can click on the link "ANH Stunt TM" and scroll to entry #36 on page 2. There you see what I mean.

You will find screen-used helmets where the bottom of the ear is within the S-trim and where it is above it, so either is fine. Be sure you leave the S-trim a bit longer than the circumference of the opening (perhaps 1 inch) to allow compression force to help keep it in place.

Thanks bpoodoo. I still have a little trimming to do on the opening so I can get my head through with the neck seal. I have not cut the trim yet. I'm being very cautious on each step and each of you have been a great help.

You could make small cuts into it to allow it to bend over itself a little easier. But don't overdo it and don't cut all the way through it, you want one continuous piece.

I should have asked you before glueing mine. That's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Best principle, if your head doesn't fit, trim some more. If it does fit, you are good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk