E6000 and Snaps

I know I've read that a chemical reaction between the glue and the metal can warp or melt the plastic. My question is... Can I cover the metal part of the snap with a sticker or tape and glue over the whole snap plate and receiving area of armor?

There has never been clear evidences of that supposed chemical reaction, and i personally highly doubt it. The way the e6000 works (doesn't create heat, nor alters surfaces) makes it very unlikely to happen. However, i you really afraid of it i see nothing against using some duct tape to cover the metal section before gluing.

this is incorrect.

There has never been clear evidences of that supposed chemical reaction, and i personally highly doubt it. The way the e6000 works (doesn't create heat, nor alters surfaces) makes it very unlikely to happen. However, i you really afraid of it i see nothing against using some duct tape to cover the metal section before gluing.

the nickel metal or brass used in snap construction can melt HIPS when in direct contact with e-6000.

ABS plastic e-6000 and snaps can cause slight warping under clamping pressure.

the best way to deal with snap plates is to put a small square of tape over the metal section of the snap

and glue in place with light but firm pressure.

keep in mind that unless the sides of your snap plate are really wide, your snap will sit proud of your the plastic not allowing the plastic to touch the surface. 

Once your snap plate is done, apply gentle heat to only the metal snap until the plastic between the two snap halves softens. Then gently push out the snap just enough to recess the snap back into the plastic. 

keep in mind that unless the sides of your snap plate are really wide, your snap will sit proud of your the plastic not allowing the plastic to touch the surface.

Once your snap plate is done, apply gentle heat to only the metal snap until the plastic between the two snap halves softens. Then gently push out the snap just enough to recess the snap back into the plastic.

I had originally cut up some 1 1/2" abs squares but after more research I decided to buy some white 1 1/2" nylon webbing and have made all my plates out of that. It lays in much flatter and the webbing really sucks up the E6000.

• Like 1

Another solution would be not to buy cheap a** snaps but those that are heavy duty and lacquered.

snaps are not lacquered.  most use tandy or dritz snaps.. there is no paint that is used on more valued snaps that will stop the heat exchange.

not one person has suggested cheap snaps.

snaps are not lacquered.  most use tandy or dritz snaps.. there is no paint that is used on more valued snaps that will stop the heat exchange.

not one person has suggested cheap snaps.

None of my snaps have ever heated up because of any glue. And they are lacquered with something to keep them clean in a maritime environment.

the clamping pressure solves this problem without any concern.

None of my snaps have ever heated up because of any glue. And they are lacquered with something to keep them clean in a maritime environment.

the snaps that most people use are not coated for use in salt water.

where did you get those?