Android app for helmet audio. Development thread.

VERY interesting. Is there a version for the dark side too?

I'll consider to use it with an IPod touch 4 to avoid unwanted phone sounds during the use.

It will be great to have developed something for it.

Edited by elleerre

Just uploaded a new version which should be able to keep running even with the screen off. You will probably see the new version within a couple of hours.

Press the microphone button to start the background service, and the trashcan to stop it.

Ripper_L: Weird... I'll see if I can find out why. Unfortunately I don't have a bluetooth headset.

elleerre: I'am an Android Jedi. But you are welcome to make an app for the sith-lords.
If we enable bluetooth on both the iOS and the Android version, then the Android app can automatically play the phrase "I feel a disturbance in the force", whenever an iOS device with the app running gets close. :D :D :D

Edited by LordNikon
  • Like 1

I don't know why, but now it works with my bluetooth headset!  :)

Unfortunately, there is a terrible feedback, even if I wear the headset under the helmet  :smiley-sw013:

But the app stays on with locked screen  :jc_doublethumbup:

Feedback is a big problem. And there is little I can do about it in software.
It is all about preventing the speaker output from reaching the microphone.

What kind of speaker do you use, and where do you place it?

EDIT
I may have been mistaken... Android has an Acoustic Echo Canceler for when using the speaker phone function. I tried enabling this, and it seems to make a pretty big difference when it comes to reducing feedback.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available in Android versions older than 3.0, so I had to drop support for older devices for now.

Let me know if it solves your feedback problem.

Edited by LordNikon

had some funny moment today :D

connected my phone via bluetooth with my car and started streaming music.

once the music was stopped - troop talk beta activated itself (without being in multitasking or in forground) and everything I said was given out over my cars sound system. With static burst :D

• Like 1

once the music was stopped - troop talk beta activated itself (without being in multitasking or in forground) and everything I said was given out over my cars sound system. With static burst :D

And this is the exact reason I refuse to implement this new tech in my bucket. All I need is to be in the middle of a troop and my car calls me stating "This is OnStar what is your emergency".   :laugh1:

• Like 1

So, do you like the new hands-free function of the app? :D :D :D

The app itself is just a user interface. It starts a background service to do the actual audio processing. You can close the app, or turn the screen off. The audio processing background service remains active until you press the trashcan button in the app.

My guess is that perhaps you unintentionally left the background service running long before you hooked it up to your car?

I should probably add a system bar indication that the background service is active, similar to what spotify does...

Edited by LordNikon

The app itself is just a user interface. It starts a background service to do the actual audio processing. You can close the app, or turn the screen off. The audio processing background service remains active until you press the trashcan button in the app.

My guess is that perhaps you unintentionally left the background service running long before you hooked it up to your car?

I should probably add a system bar indication that the background service is active, similar to what spotify does...

This could have been the reason, yes ;D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can not tell you what to improve yet. Even for me it's still not enough practice with the App. But I will long time test it at celebration Anaheim and afterwards I will tell you which issues I found.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently building my armor so that I can actually test the app :-)

Making the sound more "tinny" is indeed top priority for the app.
I am also considering making it able to play pre-recorded samples...

But first: Figuring out how all these white armor pieces fit together in a way that is not impossibly uncomfortable ;-)

• Like 2

VERY interesting. Is there a version for the dark side too?

I'll consider to use it with an IPod touch 4 to avoid unwanted phone sounds during the use.

It will be great to have developed something for it.

I had exactly this idea yesterday and came looking to see if someones already done it, looks like no. Whilst I have never done any IOS/mac development I am a developer so I am hopefully going to be able to work somthing out. I started reading through some of the core audio docs yesterday at lunch and once I get some time will start on the work of creating an IOS app.

Roughly my idea was read in the mic, EQ the mids out, apply a small pitch shift downwards and then add a static burst when you stop talking. Sounds simple but real time audio isn't exactly famous for being easy. Would love to see/speak to the OP about what this android app does.

This is not a promice of delivery, I have a long line of half finished products in my wake.

Tinkering with it a bit. The only thing I can think of is to make it sound more "tinny".

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

With out knowing exactly whats happening already applying a EQ to drop out some of the mids gives a sort of boxy tinny sound.

• Like 1

This is coming along nicely. Works well on my droid maxx with my Aker amp. Just need mic/amp splitter from amazon. Any chance you can boost the volume of the static burst? Too quiet compared to voice on my set up. Then again it could just be my set up. But this is really brilliant!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by DroidHunter

Chris, IOS version would be awesome. Following this thread in hopes of the iPhone version.

Don't get too excited yet! I got a super basic test of an audio engine library running but all that means is an app opens and played a tone. I'm going to start properly by following Apples training documents first then move back to the audio side later.
  • Like 1