Rom FX and Stomper Speaker Hovies

Hey having a problem with wiring and output and need assistance.

I have just recieved my Rom FX classic kit, and my Stompers Speaker Hovies. I wired them in series, but the sound is very faint, and scratchy to a point. Any one have ideas on hookup to get the most out of this combination?? I am using at this time the 9 volt battery sent with the classic kit, along with the microphone which seams to be not very sensitive. The RomFX is turned up all the way, but still very faint.

I am not sure but I might have the positive and negatives hooked up backwards and I will try that first.

Do I need more power? Parallel hookup? Any ideas will help

Hello Trooper1,

When you wire the speakers in series, it becomes 8 ohms, half the watt to parallel wiring. Parallal wire it will give you 4 ohms and more wattage, that'll give you more power.

Having the speakers hooked neg. to pos. & visa versa will cause "out of phase" sound, may cause some distortion at high volume, so check your wiring.

I used 6 AA batteries for my voice amp. Makes the helmet heavy and uncomfortable for all day trooping. But I get a lot of feedback when volume is turned up at full volume. The most I get is 3/4 volume up and the sound range with Stompers hovis is about slightly higher than "normal" speaking volume. If you want more sound, you have to get bigger speakers mounted onto your chest plate.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Well, I am having major problems still. I have hooked everything up, and began testing. The problem is that there is NO static burst mode. Instead of static burst it says RomFX everytime you speak..

??? I am totally stumped. Power checks correct, speakers sound fine. But unit does not work correctly. Help please.

I have not idea what is going on.

Jay

When the battery is flat the unit will keep repeating the phrase 'rom fx'.. try a new battery first.

And Paul you are correct about the nokia speaker, i use that one and everyone in earshot knows there is a stormtrooper about :lol:

Trying this now, was kind of hoping some one else over here in the states may have had the same problem and know how to fix it.

Got ahold of RomFX and problem solved

Thanks

troopermaster said:
Try one of these mate....they're very loud :D

-------

Would you be so kind to open it up and tell me the speaker's diameter? :)

I would like to know if I can fit two of those in my bucket :P

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, I had the exact same problem with low batteries too. Wiring it up on a brand new battery fixed that issue!

For the sake of others, you should definitely tell us what the solution was, although I strongly suspect it's the battery and you're ashamed to say so! :)