Tusken finally cleans up; AP TK build started!

Tusken RTT

The brown box arrived today!  Time to add to the 501 collection with an AP trimmed kit.  I had been getting ready with a completed blaster, along with getting trooperbay paint, lens, s trim, mic tips, I painted some shoes, got an amp, neck seal and snaps from some forum members, just got the order in on a vaderdave garter, so it was great to get started!  

Got the helmet close to being done;  no inside padding yet and still need some 2nd layers of paint and the cleanup of the edges.  The stickers were a nightmare!  I tried a few times but kept getting bubbles and wrinkles.  Hand painting all of these areas is the first upgrade on my list.  

I did a quick dry run on the ab and kidney plate.  There is an almost 2 inch gap between them;  I would have to lose about 15 lbs to get them to meet.  Is this a big deal at all to have this gap?  I took a pic of the spacing.  

It's going to be a fun next couple of months! 

i20toBl.jpgZgnJLMZ.jpgaQQPe43.jpg3Iq0JMg.jpgl2fBnDA.jpg?1

As I was going to bed and putting the mask away I saw I made my first mistake already. #$^@#$^@#%$!#@$

Anyone else notice?

Tube stripe fail :)

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ditto with Eric...definitely don't want to rush a TK build Scott. Give me a shout if ya have any questions about anything bro. You have my number. As for shims, im not too familiar with those as my armor needed excessive trimming. Go slow if ya need to, the TK armor is a little different than your Tusken :)

Good call everyone- yep the tube stripe fail.  I even double checked ref pics for the first one and was so proud of myself I got over confident on the rt.......

1st coat only on the ears, but good catch too.   Getting the outline and stripe today.  Spycee sent me some sticker tips Mark gave him and Mark sent me a video link.  2nd go round should have em looking like a champ- thanks everyone!

Looks like a had my first glitch for this mission.

It was getting late Andrew, I sure was thinking about hitting you up, appreciate the offer!  

I woke up early and started on the shims for the kidney and separated the butt plate.  So after gluing these, it looks like I abut another ABS to the kidney, then meld the gap with the ABS paste and sand.  pDVxPzt.jpg

Got my coverstrips cut;  5/8 and 7/8.  Removed the bad sticker jobs and got some more ordered and painted the ear ranks.  I am now Mr. No Stripes on the Rt side.  

Actually clamped a bicep piece and trimmed up here and there on just about everything I could get my hands on!  Pretty much just the parts that digged in nothing more than few mm.  

Living room is a wreck;  I have joined the trooper wife is mad at me club.  

Should be able to glue the kidney extensions and the get to work on the dreaded paste next week.  

gXV2WFg.jpg

rIYaeQc.jpg

5kiNuvq.jpg

5k31Icf.jpg

Update on things;  the build is coming along!  Nothing exciting with the biceps and forearms;  so far so good!  Now moving on to the legs;  will finish the calves this weekend and am just beginning the thighs.  I am getting down to the last drops of my extra ABS- cant have any mistakes!  

ZzPDTWF.jpg

7ucxAeI.jpg

WFDk9f2.jpg

Got the sticker order in from Trooperbay to fix my tube fail;  I wanted to re-do the tears and traps but the ones they sent me are blanks!  I emailed them to get the ones with stripes so the helmet is still in limbo for a bit.  Fixed the stripes and got the padding in.  

Question;  does anyone trim under the vocoder?  It feels like it pressing up against my adams apple.  Or do I need to play around more with the padding?  

jyruFfD.jpg

nrfXaqv.jpg

TOpDYYu.jpg

Edited by Tusken RTT

The kidney extensions are ready for the ABS paste;  got the inner and outer strips all glued in.   While scraping glue I put a huge scratch in the kidney plate!  Ordered Novus and it vanished like magic- great stuff!  Lesson learned on glue scratching- fingernails and toothpics only from now on;  and tape off good areas.  

Will practice first on some scraps before going live with the paste- will give an update tomorrow!

aH3zGzG.jpg

5nMaAj5.jpg

Edited by Tusken RTT

Got a lot done this weekend!  Went ahead and used the stickers that came in and hand painted the stripes on the tears and traps;  so the helmet is all set!  Padding is in and chin strap is attached.  I trimmed the neck a bit underneath.  

egnlmNC.jpg

JrjLo1a.jpg

Glued the kidney shims on and cut the notch;  still working on hiding the seam that shows, but it is completely smooth.  

dx3dUIo.jpg

Started on the suspension as I only have a couple of cover stips left for the thighs.  Made some Han clips and began making all of my snap connections.  Should have a dry run fitting this week without tape! 

44tiBJC.jpg

BunVgaN.jpg

Good work !

I didn't need the little piece to hang the biceps to the shoulder strap, the elastic is very stable in my case, I guess I'm lucky.

I'm sorry your wife is mad at you for that :-( I agree it can be a little mess, but oh so much happiness :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Lot's of progress!  Finished up the arms and suspension-

qrhbqZ2.jpg

Got the legs done (small crack in the sniper plate while clamping!!  Will have to be a later fix)-

fNEQElo.jpg

Finally the kidney plates/shims are done enough to get to snapping and strapping!  

pYBPmcn.jpg

lT7zlw9.jpg

sx76OEZ.jpg

mdznfqw.jpg

Felt so good to put everything on for a sneak peek!  

PEEKCwA.jpg

I've got problems though- the butt!  Any ideas how to fix this?  I have hardly no butt in real life, but in TK land it's really bad.  See the flaring?  Do I cut this or try to bend it in more?  It seems the belt is riding too high to keep it in place?  

iJ23wLX.jpg

dShSZYB.jpg

It will be easier to fix the butt plate problem once the whole torso is in place. I wouldn't bend it or do anything until everything else is strapped up and not taped. Certainly adding snap plates to the very outer edges of your butt plate will help... you may also be able to adjust the belt vertically by shifting your ab around but not until everything is place.

-Eric

• Like 1

If your belt rides over your butt plate in the back, it's because it's set too low on your abdominal plate. The top of the ABS belt should be right under the ab buttons or slightly overlapping them.

15771869075_f9490ee8e2_o.jpg

I would also, shorten the length of the arm straps, as you've got too much gap between the bottom of your biceps and top of the forearms. It's better to have a wrist gap than an elbow gap:

12559680985_0be156d032.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot everyone- great advice!  I shortened up the forearm straps this morning and added the snaps across the butt to abdomen to keep this tighter.  Waiting on the glue now so I will try a dry run again in the morning;  Germain, Alex and Eric, really appreciate it! 

Did a fuller dry run!  Nearing the end with the fine tuning still to come of fixing some bites and making it a bit easier to walk.   I made the arm straps between the biceps and forearms shorter but looks like I need to go some more.    The trick to run elastic from the but sides to the ab worked like a charm!!  

After taking the TD off I noticed it scratched the back all up!  Hope this normal;  hidden by the belt I guess.  

Please hit with me with any critiques!  Still have the ab buttons and shoulder strap covers to glue down.

qxHT8Nx.jpg

y7eBb9F.jpg

lK7xFes.jpg

87ShcLy.jpg

19XWuE8.jpg

Edited by Tusken RTT

It looks great ! The shins should be lower though. I also have this problem with my boots, I'll probably use Velcro. Are you able to climb stairs ? It seems you don't have a lot of open space behind your knees, it can causes problems while moving. On my armor I will have to have a larger gap to walk and use stairs easily.

I had a problem with my shin armor rising up towards the tops of my boots. I made elastic stir rups that are attached inside the shin armor and run down around my heels. Or put some velcro at the bottom of the shin armor and at the tops of your boots.