Painting/coating the inside of the helmet

Well, if you paint it inside, it will smell a lot for a while, and I'm not sure that breathing paint in a very closed environment for a couple of hours is good ...  Maybe after a while it gets better.  

If you find a way to get it all black inside without paint it, I'm in  :)  But if you put padding in it, a lot of the inside gets hidden so it's less necessary to get it painted.  I didn't paint mine, not too bad.

Hi Ken!

Welcome to the FISD!

You can paint the inside of your bucket without any problems.

You should preferably do it before you assemble the lid, because then you have the most control over where the paint ends up.

The parts that should stay white must be masked off, of course. Paint it before you cut out the eyes, saves trouble ...

Grab a semi gloss black rattle can with paint, that is intended for cars, like "Rallye Paint". It needs to be acrylic based, this will stick best to the plastic of your bucket and won't rub off a single bit.

Of course it will smell, but that wears of after a week and the toxic fumes are long gone by then.

I found, that painting the inside black definitely added some pizzazz to the helmet. For me it turned white plastic into a helmet that means business.

I hope, that was helpful ...

Edited by Bone
  • Like 1

Get a good neck seal like Darman's and no one will see your head inside.

Get some dark welder shield for your eyes and Bob's your uncle!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Painted mine black inside, with matte black spray paint. Something called "spoiler paint" that is stronger than regular paint. Done it months ago. No smell at all at this moment. I'm pretty sure that a walk in an everage modern city is more toxic than putting such a painted bucket on.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I painted my ATA with rustoleum matte black only to have to back/cap piece scratch up the sides of the face piece while test fitting them together, not to mention all the scratches I made while cutting out the mouth/eyes. I stupidly only did one good coat, so definitely do several 😅 I'll have to touch mine up a bunch with a brush...