Which Neck Seal Do I Buy?

Hey guys! Newbie here. This is actual my first post in the forums. But I have been scouring everything I can find on here (and the rest of the internet), looking for the perfect neck seal. And I just can't seem to find the right one. Maybe someone can help? I'm building ANH Stunt armor and am almost done - hoping for Centurion status. Fingers crossed. So here's what I've been finding:

1. TK-409 - I really liked the look of this neck seal, the fake rubber-like material on the ribs, etc. So I ordered it. But after 3 weeks, I still did not get a response from Dawn, the woman who makes them. I emailed her twice and finally she got back to me and said she was out of material and would refund my money on Paypal. I emailed back and said I would be willing to wait a little longer. But she never responded. So I requested a refund. No response. Finally, I had to dispute the transaction on Paypal and am now waiting to get refunded once the dispute closes. Ouch! What a hassle!

2. Trooperbay - This neck seal looks okaaaayyy to me. But does not have the rubber-like look that would match the originals, and I would prefer that. Also, for what it is... it takes 3-4 weeks to make?! AND costs almost 60 bucks?! Seems a little too long to wait and too expensive for something that's just black cloth and velcro. No offense to Trooperbay, but I think this would be my last resort purchase.

3. Jedi-Robe - Okay, this one I'm conflicted on. Their armor is garbage... BUT their neck seal looks like it might be decent. It has the rubber-like look I want on the ribs, and it's only $35. Ships in 14 days. I just know their reputation is not great for quality and/or accuracy, so it worries me to order from them. Does anyone have any experience with this neck seal?

4. Darman - His neck seals look really well-made and excellent quality/comfort. But I'm not seeing any that have that rubber-like look on the ribs.

5. Veedox - Love the way this neck seal looks! But I'm only seeing a Hero ANH seal and no Stunt seal. If Veedox offers a stunt seal, I would be inclined to purchase it over all others. But that purchase price is also going to hurt. $50-60 bucks was kind of my limit for the neck seal, as I've put so much money into everything else.

So that's about all I've been able to find. Am I missing anything? Are there other awesome neck seal makers out there that I overlooked? If not, which seal do you guys recommend - knowing what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance, everybody!

Neck seals are mostly up to the individual. Any neck seal with original sheen look you are going to pay a little more for. Trooperbays wait time(a couple weeks) is nothing. Remember that these items are not made by abig company.

Honestly, once your bucket is on, you *barely* see the neck seal in person, let alone in photos.  What's more important is how it fits and how durable it is.

I have had three neck seals (and I'm a "new" guy), and I can tell you that Darman's is by far the most comfortable.  You can make Centurion with Darman's, so no worries there.

If you're going to do long troops - I average probably 6 hours in my TK on 501st troops - comfort is far more important than absolute accuracy.

Seth,

I really depends on what you mean by a 'stunt' neck seal.  Nobody, I mean NOBODY here or anywhere, makes a true, screen-accurate 'stunt' neck seal.  Why?  The seals used on-screen (in ANH) were actual 1970's rubber diving suit neck rings, which by now, are perished.

They also appear to be different in each scene, so it is hard to tell what they used or how they looked.

The only neck seals that we get a good look at and know with certain accuracy are the 'hero' neck seals. 

Yes, I make the 'hero" seals.  That means correct look, materials, correct ribbing with a jaw taper and a full torso bib.  We have made many seals without the bib because some prefer that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, guys! I thought I had found the perfect one - but sadly it turned out to be a scam, apparently. The company is Shadow Dale Creations and the neck seal on their site looks amazing! So unknowingly, I sent in an order form and requested to purchase one. They got back to me pretty fast and said that I had to pay through American Express "Serve" or through some site called Payza. They do not accept Paypal. That was the first red flag... but people can be quirky sometimes. So I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and registered for a Serve account so I could pay. But that process kept failing for some reason. So I did some research on Shadow Dale and wow, did I find PLENTY of information! Tons and tons of reviews from people saying they never got their items or that their items didn't come for 7-8 months and were completely wrong. Many negative reviews and reports to the Better Business Bureau. So I opted to cancel my order and not pay. (sigh)

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I'm kinda thinking of just buying some material and hiring a seamstress to custom make one for me. I know the neck seal doesn't really show too much with the helmet on. But for me, I'm just really locked in to getting that rubber-like look - at least on the ribs. I'll probably only wear my helmet about 50% of the time, because I spend so much time talking to people at cons (I'm a YouTuber and gaming host). So I need the seal to be pretty nice. If anyone comes across any additional sources, please let me know! Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys:

I bought one of this by Dauw's Bartlett (TK409) the last 23th december... I wrote to him more than three times about my product (shipping and delivery) and today I didn't receive a response yet, Do you know what happen with this seller? Have I open a dispute for refund with paypal? Please be care with this seller!!!

I've also ordered a neck seal from Dawn on 17th Dec.

I've sent 3 emails but had no response so it looks like I'll dispute through PayPal.

I'm going to go with Veedox now.

I contacted him first and had great communication.

I only chose TK409 due to being half the price of Veedox.

Generally, no one ever gets a response from TK409. But so far I've never seen anyone not get their product. So you might want to hold off on that PP claim.

I know it's scary, but practicing patience is key in this hobby. It's not amazon, it's people making things in their spare time. It was just like this when I got my neck seal from them a couple of years ago too.

I have both Darman and Veedox neck seals. 

Darman are super comfortable but It didn't come with enough material around it and I had problems with it coming out of the ends of my armour. Ended up having to take it to a tailor with some extra material to re-sew everything together. 

Veedox one I received this morning and I have to say are great with the bib and all. Its a lot easier to pull down and adjust it with all your armour on as opposed to trying to tuck bits back in around your neck. It also covers all my electronics which I wear on a chest mount. 

I would always try and purchase through a 501st member because you know they are made properly with the right intent, and that you will get the best value. Happy to pay that extra bit for the workmanship. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I'm also new to the forum and have been looking to purchase a neck seal for my TK Armor. It definitely sounds like Darman is the best one to purchase from. Can anyone PM me his contact info so that I can place an order? I PMed him a few days ago but it doesn't look like he's checking messages on the forums here as far as I can tell.

Sorry to disturb, Newbie here, but could someone please provide me with the contact information to Veedox? I am very interested in puchasing this type of neck piece? Also, is this the correct neck seal for an ANH Stormtrooper Hero? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...