My experience using a throat mic and source for a mic only version

You know I'm always looking Tony...looks like most of what I need to prototype my EAS is finally here. I will document and post my findings shortly. Hopefully this goes as planned.

Combo headset and mic? Stealthy stuff is expensive but I personally would look towards a gaming headset and cannibalize the raw conponents...(hint hint..) :)

I know and I appreciated it Adam. Can't wait to see your EAS, excited. This is totally my forte but I've been dragging butt on getting something together. I'll probably just draft off you if that's ok  :D

As you suggested, I've already butchered a combo headset but most don't have sensitive enough mics. I'm curious to see how the throat mic system works. If it performs as well as expected I have some ideas on which direction to take next.

Thanks for the great ideas so far. BTW still working on the magnetic switch to cancel out TK chatter, another great idea.  :duim:

• Like 1

Looks like this company has a couple more options for throat mics under another category...

http://www.ixradio.com/shop/computer-accessory/

There are single transponder version of the one with a rigid neck band as well as some acoustic mics... ;)

On a good note I purchased an awesome set of ear buds last week that are excellent for cancelling out outside noise making my EAS even clearer.

If anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PCX95-ear-neckband-headphones/dp/B00DZIQR2Y

I saw this thread through some googling and I've run into the issue of my throat mic not being picked up at all. I may have figured it out but I've never had it work successfully so I don't really know what I'm doing. I have an Aker MR100, having an Aker MR1506 would solve my problem, wouldn't it?

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have to report the throat mic I purchased is not working with my ROM/FX, it's not sensitive enough. I'd like to say I'm pretty savvy with electronics but this has me stumped. I even tried to use a audio amplifier to boost the signal into the ROM/FX, didn't help.

I'm NOT say throat mics don't work, it's proven they do, it's just the one I have doesn't work with my ROM/FX. 

The model I purchased was XVTM26M35.  http://www.ixradio.com/shop/transdermal-throat-microphone-xvtm26m35.html

As this time I'm waiting to have someone test it in their system. 

I got one of those and was just futzing around with it the other day, and it was kind of hit and miss at first, but it did seem to work with my Rom/FX... I only meddled with it for a couple of minutes, but it did start working. Mostly I just fiddled with placement of the mics on the throat.

I got one of those and was just futzing around with it the other day, and it was kind of hit and miss at first, but it did seem to work with my Rom/FX... I only meddled with it for a couple of minutes, but it did start working. Mostly I just fiddled with placement of the mics on the throat.

Which one are you using Keita, I'm not having any such luck.

I received my throat microphone today. It's the ixradio XVTM26M35. It works great on my iPhone and iPad for voice dictation. I haven't gotten it to work well with my ICOMM using VOX mode. I haven't tried the PTT yet.

Which Rom/FX? I don't know..got it years ago.. it has three little buttons on one end for the diff modes and up down with a twisty switch about midway up the board and an on/off switch... with a little corded input for the mic and the speaker plug on the board. Set up for the 8 AA batts...if that helps... the mic I got was the dual transducer one at the start of the thread...no earpiece.

Which Rom/FX? I don't know..got it years ago.. it has three little buttons on one end for the diff modes and up down with a twisty switch about midway up the board and an on/off switch... with a little corded input for the mic and the speaker plug on the board. Set up for the 8 AA batts...if that helps... the mic I got was the dual transducer one at the start of the thread...no earpiece.

I have the basic, which as you've described appears to be the same as I have. Did you just plug it in and go?

I'm wondering if my voice is too deep or soft to pick up. I have a troop this weekend, I'll have one of my fellow troopers test on their Anker systems.

I just received the throat mic and tested it. When I have it connected directly to the Aker, I have no issues. When I have it connected with the iComm, however, it does not always pick up my voice. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will I need to use something other than the iComm?

I just received the throat mic and tested it. When I have it connected directly to the Aker, I have no issues. When I have it connected with the iComm, however, it does not always pick up my voice. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will I need to use something other than the iComm?

Melissa,

I'm in the same boat.  Have you tried push to talk yet?

I have the basic, which as you've described appears to be the same as I have. Did you just plug it in and go?

I'm wondering if my voice is too deep or soft to pick up. I have a troop this weekend, I'll have one of my fellow troopers test on their Anker systems.

I think it did help somewhat when I consciously tried to raise both pitch and volume of my speech, as I too have a normally very low and soft voice. Moving the pads around a bit until it started working also helped. Pretty sure I just plugged everything in as normal. I'm thinking of adding an elastic strap between the two transducers just to keep the pads snug and in contact with the throat better...

I think it did help somewhat when I consciously tried to raise both pitch and volume of my speech, as I too have a normally very low and soft voice. Moving the pads around a bit until it started working also helped. Pretty sure I just plugged everything in as normal. I'm thinking of adding an elastic strap between the two transducers just to keep the pads snug and in contact with the throat better...

Thanks for the tip  :duim:

I know even with the older version of your throat mics, I had to play with the position on my neck. If you notice in my video, the transducer is almost to the front of my neck. When on the side as it would seem it needs to go, it wouldn't pick up even connected only to the Acker.

Now that I am aware of the sweet spot, I simply place it directly there. Everyone's anatomy is slightly different and my recommendation is to play with placement. More left, more right, higher or lower.

Keep the findings coming.

I know even with the older version of your throat mics, I had to play with the position on my neck. If you notice in my video, the transducer is almost to the front of my neck. When on the side as it would seem it needs to go, it wouldn't pick up even connected only to the Acker.

Now that I am aware of the sweet spot, I simply place it directly there. Everyone's anatomy is slightly different and my recommendation is to play with placement. More left, more right, higher or lower.

Keep the findings coming.

Thanks Adam, I'll give it another try 

Getting the sweet spot is definitely the key.  I was showing my setup to some troops and was talking, and they could not even hear me.  I forgot to adjust the throat mic and had just thrown it around my neck.  You have to move it up higher on your throat, and once you get it set it really does not move at all.  Wrap your neck seal around it and you are rocking! 

• Like 1

Adam, I order the "Transdermal throat microphone XVTM26M35 (Dual Transponders)" for $57.90 today. 

Its $49.99 for the throat mic with $8.00 registered shipping from Singapore to California.  Just FYI for everyone.

I will let you know when it arrives!   Thank you for sharing this!

Adam, I order the "Transdermal throat microphone XVTM26M35 (Dual Transponders)" for $57.90 today. 

Its $49.99 for the throat mic with $8.00 registered shipping from Singapore to California.  Just FYI for everyone.

I will let you know when it arrives!   Thank you for sharing this!

Good maybe you'll have better luck than me. What are you using it with if you don't mind me asking?

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the Transdermal throat microphone XVTM26M35 (Dual Transponders) http://www.ixradio.com/shop/transdermal-throat-microphone-xvtm26m35.html.

My experience with it were disappointing. I have a 44cm neck and I found I could only one transponder to my 'sweet spot' and the other transponder ends up on the side of my neck.

At home in my workshop, my tests were promising. I discovered that once I found my sweet spot, for me it was high up on my neck, above my adams apple and just to left of center, the volume improved the longer i wore it. I was able to max out the Aker and get no feed back. However, I wore it to a Con and found that even at max volume, the noise from the Con drowned out my Aker/throat mic combo. So perhaps it is better suited for someone with a smaller neck. I'm selling mine if you want it, $45 shipped. PM me if interested.