Jes Gistang [KWDesigns] build thread

Cool! And here I was pondering stealing the garage door opener clips!

I like yer idea better.  I'd have a monster looking set of armor if it wasn't for

you and the other build threads. :D 

Updates. Here's the stuff I bought from Tandy Leather. I went to the store since shipping would have been 13.

Also, I'd like to add that while I have no problem buyinh 2 or 3 boots for this armor, I re-use my painters tape.

I thought that was sorta funny. :) Or WEIRD!!!  Here's belt clips and DOMED 7mm rivets. They did not come in 8mm. :(

DSC_0019_zpsb6afb661.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsb0689732.jpg

DSC_0022_zps02e6d86d.jpg

This shows me cutting the left shin parts... I have not glued anything, yet. I was happy with the left side...

DSC_0024_zps611c11fe.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsbc674610.jpg

So, just to be sure... the SHIM stays underneath the two shin parts, and you do NOT see it?  :)

DSC_0026_zps01533c19.jpg

Here's a closer pic of me wondering if I'm understanding how the leg connects...

DSC_0027_zps5f9a3521.jpg

I would push the inside SHIM down when it's time to glue.. just showing that is IS IN THERE. :)

DSC_0028_zps80cb0179.jpg

I need to make this gap look better, yah?...

DSC_0029_zps2d1053dd.jpg

My dang RIGHT CALF is bigger than my left... so having issues.

[if you have an issue... here's a tissue!]

DSC_0030_zps23070f7c.jpg

I kept extra RIGHT LEG parts on the back - cause it's on the back... so hopefully not as noticeable...

DSC_0031_zps3de3a01d.jpg

This is me attempting to make the two Right shin parts meet with as clean of a line and as little of a gap as possible.

DSC_0032_zpsdec743fe.jpg

DSC_0033_zps07280014.jpg

Is this okay? You can see the extra side I kept on the RIGHT INNER SHIN...

DSC_0034_zps38a500e5.jpg

Edited by jnnfr72
  • Like 1

Here's some more questions I asked on the research thread. I was able to cut off any raised areas on the biceps and I will butt join them, using cover strips only on the inside.

I could probably use some more room on the forearms - and that would mean I leave a tiny bit of the raised area. I could squeeze into the forearms even if I cut off all the raised areas, but I'd rather have a bit more room. I'm not sure it matters... as long as there are no outside cover strips on either the biceps or forearms. What do you girls / guys think?

DSC_0001_zps7d996ed1.jpg

DSC_0002_zpse6d8accc.jpg

Edited by jnnfr72

Hate to say I'm having trouble with my forearms... just like I did with my TK build. :)

Something about me and the forearms ???

Do I cut mostly from the top - or some from the wrist area? Is keeping as much white as possible more important than following the original curve of the forearm?

Thnks for any input!

DSC_0004_zpsf1138d0a.jpg

DSC_0003_zps85aa906c.jpg

Edited by jnnfr72

I'll have some pics later tomorrow. I'm using E6000 on some parts.... parts I'll probably re-do later!

I'm using the dual epoxy glue on other parts... but not too sure it will hold up. I could not find Zap A Gap locally.

I've got a convention this Sat, so trying to get done before that. :)

I plan on melting left over plastic in Acetone and then painting over my goofs and the crappy seams I made.

Mette looks fantastic, Morten!

Thanks Jen :)

She is really looking forward to try this out on a troop. Even though it wont be official, since its not accepted by the 501st yet.

But I have used Gutter glue on her armor. It dries faster than E6000 and melts the parts together, for a strong bind. So I get the same, or better, bind as with CA glue, but have the advantage of adjustment time and not the disadvantage of 24 hour curing(Usually give it 12, just to be sure).

Edited by Arnie_DK

Thanks Jen :)

She is really looking forward to try this out on a troop. Even though it wont be official, since its not accepted by the 501st yet.

But I have used Gutter glue on her armor. It dries faster than E6000 and melts the parts together, for a strong bind. So I get the same, or better, bind as with CA glue, but have the advantage of adjustment time and not the disadvantage of 24 hour curing(Usually give it 12, just to be sure).

Is Gutter glue the same thing as gutter and flashing sealant? I see adhesive for gutter and seams,

but wasn't sure what brand you used.  We might not have the same stuff over here...?

But yah.. .WAITING on E6000 is driving me crazy(ier)!

Its for gluing plastic gutters. Guess there are a million different brands.
Mine is called RODENA and is for gluing PVC/ABS.

Whatever you end up finding, just do a test on some scraps, before using it on your armor ;)

I have used those a lot too :)

And if you end up using the gutter glue, be carefull how much you use. If you use too much, it will warp the plastic. I was carefull, but still had a little misshap, but its getting fixed, as I'm going for seamless and will fill and paint the kit anyway ;)

Hi Jen-

008 here.  Your build thread is very informative.  My set has yet to leave the cleverly packed box since I've been traveling. But, it's exciting to see your rapid progress and how it is coming together.  Starting to think I'll need to take up beer drinking, though, if I'm going to build this thing properly...

• Like 2

Hi Jen-

008 here.  Your build thread is very informative.  My set has yet to leave the cleverly packed box since I've been traveling. But, it's exciting to see your rapid progress and how it is coming together.  Starting to think I'll need to take up beer drinking, though, if I'm going to build this thing properly...

Hi Diana! Thanks for the nice review. I'm looking forward to your build thread. That IS a really well packed box, isn't it! I totally thought that when I opened mine. You're going to do an awesome job. :smiley-sw013:

I have to admit that I've had a setback.. some might call it "throwing a fit" due to trying to hurry up my build to make a grand appearance at my city's BIG convention.

My test fit did NOT go well, and it was all my fault, but I threw a mini fit and then refused to go to the convention. The test fit was one day before I planned on going.  I know - I was being a BRAT... but I'm entitled to be a royal punk every now and then.  I just got frustrated with myself and was in such a pissy mood that there was NO WAY I could handle all those people and NOT be wearing the armor I love.  But, time has passed and I've vowed to GET 'ER DONE! :) 

I've Got. A. Plan.

I need to trim the crap out of the cod piece - it's quite PINCHY on my flabby thighs. [My thighs are so attractive, they can't stop touching each other. Saw that on FB recently. Made me giggle, anyway.]

Next - cut an inch or 2 from the blank spot on the belly section [where the belt rests] - OR trim off the tippy top of the AB plate. Still debating which would be better.

And finally - I need to make the chest piece bigger.

I know, I know... KW listed the dimensions, but with the girls... you can usually mush 'em around to where they need to be. I thought I'd be able to make it work.  Well, now that I'm version 2.0 the implants are not cooperating, and they will only move so far. I can't be the only lady who's been to the surgeon, and this is TMI for sure.. but I know there will be other ladies who might need advice on the pesky cute [little] chest piece.  I am trying to boost my confidence and tell myself that I CAN do this.  For the chest piece mod I plan on extending the area above the boxes, like where a necklace lays.  I might extend the boxes - and if I do, I'll try to extend evenly in all 4 directions? I will probably extend the sides around the rib area.  I wonder about how the chest piece and back piece will meet together, but I'll cross that bridge later.

I've already made my ABS paste with Acetone, and used it on the shins, biceps, and forearms. I still need to sand those areas down. My wimpy hands and arms still hurt from all the hand sanding. I need a dremel foh shoh!!!  So, since I am over throwing my fits and I plan on using the ABS paste to make the chest piece biggah and then pretty, there's no reason I have now to sell my armor.  I DID consider that in my desperation, and then I had to slap myself and man-up. I've got my big girl pants on and I'm going to DO THIS. I have no new pictures besides what my hubby and twin brother took on my test fit day. I might post them later for a good LAUGH. :) Thanks for listening, and I will have updates later.

There's no crying in armor building!

• Like 1

There's no crying in armor building!

Thats a big fat lie!!!

There is blood, sweat, swears and occaionally some tears ;)

But lets see what you got, before you start cutting it all up.

I thought about cutting a piece here and there, but KW advised against it a few times now. So far he have been right ;)

My hubby was all confused at my range of emotions over this armor. I was a bit confused at times, too... but I think you guys -n- gals get it.

And my pissy mood lasted about 4 or 5 DAYS. I'm not usually like that, in my mind.  :) 

Okay - NO CUTTING until after y'all can review my pics.  Although - I'm sure it's OKAY to cut that return edge off the crawl space (cod) area. My thighs aren't getting much thinner any time soon.  

I'm stuck at work for 5 more hours, then I can load pics from my camera to the laptop - to photobuckt - then back onto my work computer to load pics from photobucket to FISD. My laptop is flaky and although I work with computers, I don't quite know how to fix it. I've got smart people at work though..... sorry.. that's off topic.  BTW, feel free to go off topic on this thread. It's more fun that way.

At least you are back in the saddle pretty fast.

When I built my clone and missed my deadline for a CW Season 5 Release troop, it took me a couple of months to get started again ;)

Hi Jenny, thanks so much for sharing and absolutely you are entitled to throw a good fit when the armor doesn't do what you want it to do. It is very frustrating. We set goals for ourselves, and the armor has another agenda.

I did want to suggest that perhaps you take the pressure off yourself and work with a much looser deadline. It makes the build a lot more enjoyable. I'm looking to finish mine in time for Celebration Anaheim. Are you going? We could troop together. I was hoping we could get all the femme troopers together into a squad on one of the days and troop around. You in?