Warning! Loctite Blue Thread Locker will crack your TK!

Some folks had suggested thread locker when they lost some of the bracket nuts.  I previously used some blue threadlocker that I had laying around from a long time ago on a few of my bolts.  No issues, but I couldn't find the bottle when I went to do some repairs to some lost nuts.  Went to HD and picked up a new bottle.

Loctite Blue Thread Locker 242

NOgWwA7.jpg

I don't know if the formula has changed or what, but this literally cracked the ABS after curing.

PgmFBTV.jpg

Lucky for me, I only used it on the chest.  Unfortunately, one of my Garrison mates has a lot more damage.

Repairs are in progress for me.  Going to go the ABS paste route and wet sand and feather it out to attempt to match.  I'm likely going to order a new chest piece from MTK, though.

5WPAKCc.jpg

So fair warning: don't use this stuff!

Edited by bzb

Wow that's good to know, sorry to hear about the damage it caused you...what exactly is that stuff used for?

It's used to keep the nuts from gradually unscrewing and falling off the bolts. But apparently you have to be super careful it doesn't touch plastic.

It's used to keep the nuts from gradually unscrewing and falling off the bolts. But apparently you have to be super careful it doesn't touch plastic.

Thanks, I just googled it. Can't believe the damage that stuff causes. Is your armour ABS as well? I wonder if it will damage PVC armours too.

I wonder if it will damage PVC armours too.

Found this on the Henkel website (parent company for Loctite products):

Anaerobic products are not recommended for use in assembly that includes thermoplastics, as it will soften their surface and cause a crack. Examples are ABS, Acrylic, PVC, etc.

Found this on the Henkel website (parent company for Loctite products):

Anaerobic products are not recommended for use in assembly that includes thermoplastics, as it will soften their surface and cause a crack. Examples are ABS, Acrylic, PVC, etc.

Thanks for the find and share!

Thanks for sharing but sorry to hear of your armor damage.

I simply use nail polish to lock together nuts and bolts. Works great for holding but not for high strength applications like automotive where high stress or vibration is a concern.

Adam