ab/kidney rivets

Obviously, in order to be "movie accurate", split rivets should be used on the left side of the kidney and ab plates. The CRL states as follows (ANH):

• Rivets on the left side of the ab plate: a total of three fasteners, the heads should be rounded or domed, solid, approximately 5/16" (8mm) diameter and equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge. They may be painted white, or not. Paperclip brads are not considered to have a domed head. Note: For the original TK armor the type of rivets used were bifurcated rivets or split rivets.

I know that split rivets can be difficult to set. My question is this: Would it be permissible, under the CRL for both EIB and Centurion, to use Double cap rivets instead -- so long as they are "rounded or domed, solid, and approximately 5/16" (8mm) in diameter? For example, would these be acceptable?

r8Ih2Sg.jpg

The head on these double cap rivets is 8mm and rounded. They look very similar to the split rivets I have. I know this would not be accurate to the original suits, but then again, neither is my strapping method. Just curious, as these are easier to install, wont snag the undersuit, and are available close to my home.

A good thing would be to order 7 more with a 7mm (9/32") head at the same time if they have some, or just 5/16" ones if they don't. This way you would be able to fasten the ammo knee belt, ammo belt to the canvas belt and the drop boxes the accurate way ;)

I would, but I already have the 7mm cap rivets for the ammo knee belt, and I decided to use snaps to attach the ammo belt to the canvas belt so I can wash the darned thing. The canvas already got filthy at an armor party this weekend, and I'd go nuts if I couldnt wash it!  :laugh1: Practicality over accuracy.

One possible concern is the length of the post.  The depth at the ab / kidney sides isn't too thick.  The posts may be too long on those cap rivets to get a tight fit.  

The posts on the double cap rivets I have for the thigh ammo pack are 8mm.  And that's going through two layers of plastic to hold together.  Ab / Kidney sides are only going through one layer.  If you're going to use the rivets to hold elastic in place, that may help with the length of the posts.

A good point, although the post on my split rivets is long as well. 

Yes, but the difference is - you bend the split rivet prongs so they're flush with their surface.  I don't think the cap rivet posts compress that much.

I'm sure if you cut the post and then recreate that little channel on it, it would work.

That's actually the first thing that came to mind as I was reading it...  Just cut it, and re-shape it.  LoL  I suppose it COULD be that easy.

• 1 year later...