RT-Mod Build

So i ordered an RT-Mod, and first off, Rob is awesome, great suit i could not be happier :) (Also big thanks for the assembled helmet, it really let me feel like i had it mostly done out of the box)

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day i will get a chance to update this thread with some pictures, but I was hoping for some general feedback. ive never worn a stormtrooper costume before, and im finding my mobility to be very low int he costume, and the helmet is kinda clausterphobic in that it steams up on me even wearing ti indoors for longer than a couple of minutes, i also find that stairs are very difficult to navigate.

Is this a sign that i need to trim my thigh and calf armour? 

John, congrats on the kit.

Without having any armor (Rob is building my kit right now) I can tell you that stairs are typically difficult for TKs. You should invest in some fans or fan kits to cycle the air out of the helmet and prevent fogging.

Mobility... You should really post some pictures before anyone offers any advice in that regard, because you might need to make some adjustments to the peats or simply to the strapping.

I have an RT-MOD helmet and actually took the fans out.  Made it easier to hear what was going on around me.  I did replace the lens in mine and left some small gaps so that air can escape a little so that probably helps. 

My armor is ATA and I can do stairs with little difficulty.  I know other members have trouble with them.  Like was mentioned above you may just need to adjust the fit a little.  If I have my thighs too high even walking is a little cumbersome.

Pictures would be very helpful.

So ive attached some pictures, i feel like the problem is mainly in the thigh armour, it just makes walking quite difficult.

I also think i need fans for the RT-mod helmet, cause it does fog up very quickly, can anyone give advice or direct me to where i can find a fan solution or something for the helmet?

Really any advice to improve mobility without sacrificing the look too much would be appreciated.

post-19291-0-81713100-1398816674_thumb.jpg

post-19291-0-85257800-1398816681_thumb.jpg

post-19291-0-36117400-1398816688_thumb.jpg

To gain some mobility when walking you can notch both the bottom of thighs and top of shins like on the picture below:

vlcsna18.jpg

A great ressource for Fans would be ECHO's ones:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24372-fs-helmet-fan-system-echos/

Also, i can see that your ammo thigh pack isn't properly set. If you're planning to go for Centurion one day you will need to modify it.

Both rivets go through the upper corner of the knee belt wings to the bottom ridge of the thigh. Then you can glue the front to avoid shifting if you want. Rivets are painted white.

med_ga10.jpg 

And if the ammo knee belt makes a 45° angle with the thigh it doesn't matter, it just happens sometimes. Like the one on the right of the picture below:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Germain, 

Thanks for the awesome info, im a little annoyed that i missed on the knee ammo belt now and riveted it too high, though for now i dont think i will drill out the rivets just yet.

I think i may notch out the back of the knees though and im strongly considering the fan you linked me too. 

Again thanks very much :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have one more question, its been bugging me for a while so ive got to ask.

How hard is the helmet supposed to be to put on? With my RT-Mod helmet the ONLY person i know who can out the helmet straight on is my 8 year old nephew, and its a very tight fit for him. everyone else needs to turn the helmet 90° sideways put it on then rotate it once on the head.

Is this normal? dont get me wrong i knwo i have a big head, but when i cant find a single person over the age of 8 who can just put the helmet straight on....

Make sure that there is a slight gap between your lens material and the eye sockets, i.e. don't hermetically seal this area. This will allow air to flow in and out and generate a proper circulation. 

This is more effective and important than fans (even if you do install fans additionally).

I also think i need fans for the RT-mod helmet, cause it does fog up very quickly, can anyone give advice or direct me to where i can find a fan solution or something for the helmet?

• 3 years later...
On 4/26/2014 at 7:47 AM, Mongoose said:

I have an RT-MOD helmet and actually took the fans out.  Made it easier to hear what was going on around me.  I did replace the lens in mine and left some small gaps so that air can escape a little so that probably helps. 

My armor is ATA and I can do stairs with little difficulty.  I know other members have trouble with them.  Like was mentioned above you may just need to adjust the fit a little.  If I have my thighs too high even walking is a little cumbersome.

Pictures would be very helpful.

How can I get the kit? Thanks Joey jpjn45