What works for Adhesive Removal

Starting to pull the Velcro off of the JR to build the DT, the adhesive is really on there. I am reluctant to try different things , as I don't want to disintegrate or compromise the armor. I did try alcohol, that didn't work. Tried a bit of mineral spirits on a small section, to try , and it did better than the alcohol, but still wouldn't pull the adhesive off.

Does anyone have any tried and true tricks.

Much appreciated.

I tend to take a strip of industrial strength velcro and use its own adhesive to pull excess adhesive off.  Then I hit it with Goo Gone to clean up the remainder.  It works a treat and is kind of fun to yank all the sticky off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_ether aka benzine & bensin among others.

I used it to clean up my helmet to prep for painting after I removed the trooperbay decals I used before.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Goo Gone didn't make the adhesive go anywhere , even had some goo gone extreme, but it has warnings on the label for certain types of plastic, so I tried a test piece of scrap, and it didn't do much either. I'm going to try lighter fluid, thinking about the kind for Zippos , not for the BBQ , correct?

If that doesn't work I will try to other suggestions, thanks again guys...

So the Goo Gone didn't make the adhesive go anywhere , even had some goo gone extreme, but it has warnings on the label for certain types of plastic, so I tried a test piece of scrap, and it didn't do much either. I'm going to try lighter fluid, thinking about the kind for Zippos , not for the BBQ , correct?

If that doesn't work I will try to other suggestions, thanks again guys...

Yeah, the liquid ones like for Zippos.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

So, the adhesive thing, i found Goo Gone did not work very well. If Jedi Robe did anything right, it was the glue on that velcro...

Anyway, the goo gone didn't work, Rubbing alcohol, even  91% alcohol didn't work. Lighter fluid, kinda... So i broke out the steel wool soaked it with lighter fluid, scrubbed, and hit it with Goo Gone, and Voila... it started to break down fairly easily... Strange but it worked...Steel wool, lighter fluid and Goo Gone, alternating applications.  :jc_doublethumbup: