TK-1491's AP helmet build[*AP]

Well, this will hopefully be a "what I learned from everyone else" thread.

Here goes. I have begun...

I'll post more pics as I progress, but I've got up to cutting the right eye. No sanding yet, but it's a start.

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1205.jpg

DSCF1206.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

sanding soon...!

LOL thanks. I'm quite good on mesh though...you can actually see the bottom of the huge roll I have in the third pic from the top, with the purple label on it!

I'm just glad I didn't slice my finger yet... :blush:

thanks guys! and yes Darth Clouds I certainly intend to leave lots of plastic on those ear caps for starters...like I said, the beauty of this forum is seeing where others have gone before!

LOL more like drive over here and hold the thing down while I drill the screw holes!!!

Update:

DSCF1252.jpg

The decals begin...

DSCF1253.jpg

One of my reference pics...LOL

DSCF1254.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

Getting that god-awful white powder off of the Weber's trim. ugh.

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

First coats of paint on the newly-trimmed earcaps and the frown...

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1260.jpg

Thanks man....what a labor of love. For someone who purchased an assembled set of armor and bucket, I must say I can now appreciate the satisfaction of building the stuff yourself!

A couple of other things I've done along the way:

1- I trimmed the bottom 1/8" off the back trapezoids so they don't overlap all the edges like they did (still not perfect, but much better).

2- The anal side of me really wanted a bit of white space between the brow and the eyes. So I positioned it that way and drilled the ear holes. Problem was it slowly slid down till it was right on the eye line; I realized the rubber trim was holding slightly up. So, not to be defeated, I placed a small piece of ind strength velcro up near the forehead to tack it in place. Voila. I have my whitespace. That teeny weeny little detail is one of my favorite things about the stunt look, and I wasn't gonna give up! Truth be told, I'd like more of it--like a height equal to the height of the brow material--but I wasn't gonna push it. The AP doesn't seem to be made for that.

moving along...

I can now say that I have actually used a dental "gum stimulator"...to rub down pinstriping!

DSCF1261.jpg

DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1269.jpg

DSCF1270.jpg

making a template for the lenses out of white sheet foam. I'll be using a welding visor.:

DSCF1272.jpg

DSCF1273.jpg

DSCF1276.jpg

DSCF1277.jpg

finally...a painted vocoder:

DSCF1279.jpg

DSCF1278.jpg

thanks T!

Well all I have left are getting the mesh in, the neck trim on, and the correct aerators (plus all the internal stuff). But here's the latest.

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

next to my SDS. Notice the acrylic capped ABS is mirror gloss, plus a much warmer white:

DSCF1282.jpg

DSCF1283.jpg

Smile!

I sure wish the AP's came in acrylic capped ABS...my armor makes it look dull!

DSCF1288.jpg

I'm spent!

Awesome work Scott you did a very nice job. The AP looks a little bigger than the SDS, is that so? All you need is a set of Stomer or Keith's mic tips to fininsh it off :D

Sweet build! But can you please flip horizontally the last pic? We're so used to the bucket asymmetry that it's hard to stand it flipped :P

flipped! good point!

DSCF1288copy.jpg

FBJ- thanks man I already PM'd Ketih at the MEPD :)

I'll create a separate post for comp pics of my AP and SDS battle spec...stay tuned.