Haribon72's ANH Stormtrooper NE Hero Build

Haribon72

Thank you Diana!    If I wasn't working this weekend, i'd be packing up the armor and drive down tomorrow morning.    

I wish you could join us.  My house will be a hub of armor building tomorrow getting two shinies (hopefully) finished off and ready for submittal by end of day Saturday.  If you can't get those thighs figured out, or your cod, of course, lemme' know.  I'll drive over to your place and together we'll get it done.  The thighs are truly one of the toughest areas to get right.  You know, I was going to say one of the hardest areas to get right, but, I decided against it.  Toughest seemed like a better word choice.  I am nothing if not tactful at all times.  Truly.

Question:  How many tube stripes does the Hero helmet have?

The FISD photo reference shows 13 . . . 

gallery_14191_46_49660.jpg

The Star Wars Costumes book by Brandon Alinger shows 12 stripes . . . 

IMG_4269.JPG

Another question about return edges on the chest plate, abs, back, kidney, and cod.

- Can you advise on my return edges?   

- Did I leave too much?

- Do I trim them down again?

- Or should I cut them all off?

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

The number of tubestripes varies from helmet to helmet, and can also vary from the right and left cheek on the same helmet, so just go with what looks good. Just stay around the twelve-thirteen area.

Same helmet: 11 on the right, 12 on the left.

med_gallery_12157_15_25845.jpg med_gallery_12157_15_19287.jpg

About the return edges they seem very good to me. You can just knock off the one around the neck on the chest plate to give you a little more room in case it tends to choke you.

• Like 1

Thank you Germain!

I removed the return edges last night.   No more armor bites!

This week goals:

1. Finish the thighs.

2. Finish the "clam shell" assembly (chest, abs, kidney, butt).

3. Re-work the biceps to the shoulder bells and forearms.

Edited by Haribon72

I upgraded my belt holder (Thanks to Diana and Kyle for their ideas).   I picked up Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement belt from Amazon.   This belt works so well if you're a big trooper like me.   My wife created and sewn the new thigh holders from scratch.    My cousin Jojo recommended that they be velcro on the adjustment side

to the belt.   This new configuration worked out so well. 

IMG_4312.JPGIMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4315.JPGIMG_4320.JPG

Okay..... here's my first test fit with everything on including the gloves, TD, blaster, and the newly finished Hero helmet.  

Please excuse the blue tape on the kidney and abs as well as the missing 20mm strips on the back of the thighs. 

I know I have to work on the fitting and forming to my body shape.

I feel like a linebacker now.  

IMG_4375.JPGIMG_4377.JPGIMG_4380.JPGIMG_4383.JPG

Looks solid! Great job Walter. You must be quite exited right now, don't you?  ;)

One thing i would say is you might be wearing your shoulder bells reversed. The one that has a flare a the bottom of the middle ridge is the left/hand shoulder bell:

Left/hand shoulder bell: 

7dfw0Rd.jpg

Here are the correct shoulder bells now.   I spent the last week re-configuring the bells, biceps, and forearms.   I had so many "armor pinch" areas and needed to redo the black straps that hold everything together.    Now I can move my arms freely = taking my helmet off, holding the blaster comfortably, and putting on my gloves by myself. 

IMG_4571.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

Using the heat gun, I re-shaped the kidney plate, cod, back, and abdomen to give it a tighter look around my mid-section.  It looks a lot better now. 

IMG_4574.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

Here's my tutorial on repairing my thighs using model clay.   In this case, I had to add shims to my thighs.    

Before picture:  Shims added weeks ago.   I had noticeable gaps and lines traveling down the thighs (you can see them well here).   

I ran out of shims so I had to order more from Trooperbay (notice the off-white color). 

IMG_4479.JPGIMG_4480.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

I didn't want to use ABS paste this time.    Instead, I found Apoxie Sculpt on Amazon.   I wanted to work with a special sealer that wouldn't dry so fast and allow me apply it like joint compound.   The idea is similar to drywall tapering or working with automotive bondo.     Since i've done so much drywall installation in the past, this was going to be easy.    After it sets and dries overnight, I will sand it out and give it a smooth finish.

IMG_4481.JPGIMG_4483.JPGIMG_4488.JPGIMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

Creating the compound.   Follow the manufacturer's instructions using 50/50 and mixing it together (use gloves when mixing the two together...this stuff gets sticky).

I didn't use all of it.   I only needed a "jaw breaker gum ball" size.

IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

Sorry I didn't take pictures on how I applied the Apoxie Sculpt to the thighs.    This stuff is very very very sticky and it took about an hour for me apply it.   I allowed it dry for 24 hours.   Here's the finished look.

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

Its time to sand it down.    Do this process outside because its messy and creates a lot of dust.   Wear gloves.  Here are my recommended tools and mask. 

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

I started to scrap off the excess Apoxie Sculpt.

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4552.JPG

After getting all the heavy excess off, I used plumbers sanding tape to get the roughness out. 

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

Before painting the thighs, I decided to put on the cover strips and paint them.   The cover strips won't stick well on a finish gloss. 

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

Edited by Haribon72