Cracking Shoulder Straps

So another squad made had one of his straps just snap off, right near where it meets the chest plate.  Pretty sucky, but then after the troop I looked at mine and noticed one of them has cracks forming on both sides in about the same exact spot.  This is a common occurance?  What exactly is causing this?  I'm being extra careful with storage to not put any strain on it but is it possible to reinforce these perhaps with some glue behind the straps?

Are they attached to both front and back? That would certainly add to the stress. I think some small cracks are hard to avoid, but keeping them free floating over the back makes them less vulnerable.

It's only attached to the front, so it was odd for me to see that as I don't know of situations where they get bent much.  Only thing I could think of was perhaps in storage in the bin it was getting pushed upon or something by other pieces and formed those cracks.  Now keeping the chest plate on top and rested in place that it has no pressure placed on those straps anymore.

Yeah, sounds like damage from transit and storage then.

You could try "poor mans fiberglass" by soaking a swab of t-shirt  or other fabric in CA glue and attach it to the back over the cracks.

it may be stress from you raising your arms and causing it to slowly crack over time. Mine has been cracking and patched 3 or 4 times and finally broke completely just recently. It was a good thing I had a kit to make a death trooper costume. I just took the chest and shoulder straps from it and made a new one for my TK.

Just to make thins clear, are you speaking about the shoulder bridges? I have a hard time understanding how a piece of elastic could get cracks and snap.

He means the plastic part that goes on top of the elastic to hide it from view.

I'll try that CA poor man's fiberglass to put some reinforcement on it as I'm now going to be paranoid around the straps.  Hard to see them so I have no idea how long they have been there, and it shocked me as the other TK in the squad was showing off his completely broken straps right before. 

Guys I would offer my two cents here, I have been adding a strip of plastic inside my strips,   So for my ANH/ESB strips by various makers, I simply cut a strip of plastic .060 up to .090 which is about one inch shorter in length than the actual finished piece. Bend it and warm it to make it slightly curved. Glue it into the inside of the strip. With the 1/2" reveal you can still glue the whole thing down to your armor. But now it is backed up with the strip of plastic and is much more durable! I will add photos if you like.

OK here's one I made for my snowtrooper, but you can see the strip inside and the reveal. For stormtrooper you may like to hold back 1/2" so the strap sits flush with your breast bone. But by all means glue the strip and your finished strap to the breast bone. It really works. E6000 is a good glue as it has some flexible properties as well.

YcfhE91.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

• 1 month later...