Help- butt plate problems

I'm assembling an NE armor kit and I'm having issues with the butt plate flailing out on the sides. I have snap plates with elastic straps holding butt and kidney plates together. I don't know how stop the butt plate from doing this. Please help me....any advice?

post-17609-0-61365100-1382441915_thumb.jpg

post-17609-0-76562600-1382441975_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr_speed

There should be three connection points between the butt and the kidney plate; one in the center and one on either side.-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have to ask you: With a screen name of mr_speed, can I assume you are a classic KISS fan, or is there some other reason? Just curious.  :)

Yep, I'm a KISS fan.  Mr. Speed.... Rock-n-Roll Over album! 

As for the butt plate issue, I have one snap in the middle but used velcro on the sides.  I'll try snaps on the outsides.  Thanks.

Had a similar problem with a friends armor, didn't matter what we did with the elastic it still popped out. Ended up making a couple of abs strips with a v section in the middle of them with heat which goes over the return edge inside then glue the flat sections to the inside of the butt and back plates.

I wear AM and I cut mine. The AM and NE butt are similar in size. As long as you don't cut off so much as to loose the the portion where it angles up to the kidney you'd be fine. I'm 5-11 160lb for reference. Oh as an after thought do you have a crotch strap? That helps pull my butt down a bit. I do wear my armor tight though.

Yes, I do have a crotch strap. I decided to eliminate the return edges on the bottom portion of kidney plate and top portion of the butt plate. It helped a little bit. I'm now finishing up snaps for my belt. I think the belt is going to help in keeping the sides of the butt plate from flailing out on me. We will see....

I've no idea about the NE dimensions, but from the pics it doesn't only look like your butt plate is too big but also your torso parts are kinda hanging too low. Probably just the fact that your head and shoulders are missing from the pics but if you add a crotch-elastic the plate is pulled towards your crotch and your butt cheeks keep it in position. If your kidney plate is now too low, it'll shove under the butt plate depending on what strapping you've used.

So I'd suggest to not only trim the butt plate but also try to bring the kidney plate up a little. Minor overlapping especially of the side-sections of the butt plate is a common problem I believe, you can even see this in the movie on some troopers

I'm not sure how much this would help with your issue, but I can see that you need to trim down your kidney plate.  I have NE armor as well.  Here is how I did the cuts on my kidney plate:

av3Z6hw.jpg

fycl5BO.jpg

It looks like you already cut the butt piece the way I did.  Here's what my butt piece looks like:

9kVUoeQ.jpg

GzJIz0B.jpg

I haven't done any trimming on the long middle part, because I haven't fitted it to my body yet.  If you kept that piece at this length, that may be why it's flaring up.  It's possible that cutting that middle piece shorter will have more of a pull with your crotch strap and pull down the butt piece.

Edited by maxsteele

To much tension on the crotch strap can cause problems. From your pic's it looks like part of the problem. Plus as said above the armor is sitting to low. I also have an NE kit and very happy with it. :)

So, I should loosen the tension on the crotch strap? I'll give it a try                            

Undo the crotch snap and see if that changes the position.
Edited by SCTrooper

• 2 years later...