Why the big secret?

Lazerbrain

I think in simplest terms...costuming clubs are about learning to prop and costume make, the 501st is about sharing one's passion for Star Wars and believing in causes greater than oneself (charity work). Troopers have real lives, not everyone has the time or in some cases the talent to work every part of their costume. Members in clubs help each other out. FISD is an open forum to introduce people who are interested in becoming a 501st TK to the art of costuming. The reason armor is not just openly listed is becacause unscropulous people would then show up..."Hi I'm a big fan I want to buy armor what's the most accurate" and turn around and sell it on E-bay as "Screen accurate made from orginal and 2d generation molds" for big dollars. That's like stealing from your family! :angry: and I for one don't want that kind of trash trolling on the boards.

Of course present company exclude... ^_^

Recasters? C'mon Phil, you're honestly going to sit there and tell me that all tk armor (except for TM's) isn't a recast in and of itself? Tisk, tisk... :lol:

Not at all, obviously it's all recast, aside from the TM etc.

I'd say it's a matter of containment. The fewer strangers you sell your armor too, the less likely you are to see it popping up recasted.

I'd almost propose that this is a moot point until one of our more well-known armorers comes forth and tells us why they aren't more high-profile lol

Phil

Nothing worse than a fisher or sockpuppet. Arthur, you just seem fixing for an argument. I think you already know the answer already but don't like it and are trying to push your point. Sorry, but it just comes across as rude.

Well, point made. Everyone else agrees with the logic Jonah pointed out. This has been hashed about forever. Look, one of the reasons dets were created was to avoid the ignorant purchase, but as you know that's how almost all of us started out.

One can argue all one wants about the "unfairness" of it but that doesn't change anything, and won't change anything. LFL is never going to make perfect armor, and to be honest there is no such thing as perfect armor, and even if there were it wouldn't be perfect for everyone. So fans will always make armor. Not everyone has the skills, so other fans will always want to buy it. Blah blah blah.

You know I created this det so people wouldn't have to go through the same mistakes I (and you and others) did. And I've succeeded - the answers are all here if you look, just like taking the repeated advice we hand out to everyone to coordinate with their garrison works wonders too.

But not everyone finds this place, and not everyone wants to be 501st, and not everyone really cares. Not everyone wants to be "saved".

To each their own. We've done as much as we can in the 501st and this det to get people who are serious squared away. This is about as far as we can go w/o getting LFL's ire.

'Nuff said.

:) Actually old 'Uncle George" loves the costume clubs for what they do. They keep intrest going in what he has created. In some why "we" thats members of the 501st or other Star Wars groups, and "solo" guys like me, keep the movie alive in the eyes of the general public, like "Free Press". :P Small groups makeing and passing around full or parts of the costumes from the movies (like helmets) are no real big thing to the over all picture. It's when you start pumping out 100+ full armour with helm a week that they get "Hinky" over :lol: By and large people like us are just good free advertising for him! :P