Riveting Armor

I don't really under stand riveting armor. I've tried to rivet my right thigh piece on the knee cape but it didn't work. So now I have been gluing it and using industrial strength velcro. That has worked but it will come undone. Could someone give me some references.

Thanks

I don't really under stand riveting armor. I've tried to rivet my right thigh piece on the knee cape but it didn't work. So now I have been gluing it and using industrial strength velcro. That has worked but it will come undone. Could someone give me some references.

Thanks

What type of rivets are you using? If you use split rivets, you should not need to do anything. If you are using pop rivets, you MUST have the washers on the back side before doing the rivet.

I have my sniper plate and battery box on my FX armor both attached using pop rivets with washers and have had no issues

Hope this helps,

Scott

------------

about 3/4 way down and a good spot for the pot rivet for the sniper plate

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

You can pick up a rivet gun as well as rivets at Home Depot, yes. And as Scott mentioned, definitely make sure to pick up some washers to back the rivets so that they stay in and bind the plastic pieces together tightly. I tested a rivet job on extra plastic and it didn't hold without the washers. I've since had no problems with riveting my sniper plate & thigh ammo belt, and I'm not exactly a handyman.

Yes, I was lucky when I got my armor. I bought it so some of it fits and some don't like the left thigh piece. The rivet will pop out but not like ever time walk around because I haven't been on a lot of missions. So rivet gun, do you just screw the washer or just put it on the rivet before you load it in the

rivet gun? Thanks

Yeah, pretty much all of the armor you pick up needs to be modified in some way to fit better. I had to re-trim both thighs as I had made them too large the first time through - I generally err on the side of caution. ;)

For riveting, all I did was to load the rivet gun, insert it into the holes in the plastic where you want to rivet, and place the washer on the back end (opposite the gun) and hold it there while you squeeze the gun. It should stay in place when you squeeze the gun again to complete the connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Are these washers just simple ones you find at your big box home improvement store? I picked up a rivet gun and white rivets today, but I didn't pick up washers.

I'm danged scared to pop a hole in my beautiful armor, but it looks like the right way to go.

Movado

You can pick up a rivet gun as well as rivets at Home Depot, yes. And as Scott mentioned, definitely make sure to pick up some washers to back the rivets so that they stay in and bind the plastic pieces together tightly. I tested a rivet job on extra plastic and it didn't hold without the washers. I've since had no problems with riveting my sniper plate & thigh ammo belt, and I'm not exactly a handyman.

Are these washers just simple ones you find at your big box home improvement store? I picked up a rivet gun and white rivets today, but I didn't pick up washers.

I'm danged scared to pop a hole in my beautiful armor, but it looks like the right way to go.

The washers (or back-up plates) I used were the same brand as the rivets and were in the same section of the store. What I had to make sure about was picking up the right size. There are two different measurements on a package of rivets: The diameter of the rivet and its grip length. When picking up washers you just have to match your rivets' diameter - ex. for 1/8" (3mm) rivets you want 1/8" (3 mm) washers.

I also bought a package of white rivets, but unfortunately they were 1/8" grip which was too short to hold two pieces of ABS together, even with washers. I had to move up to 3/16"-1/4" rivets and they worked great, but then I had to paint them white.

• 2 months later...
The washers (or back-up plates) I used were the same brand as the rivets and were in the same section of the store. What I had to make sure about was picking up the right size. There are two different measurements on a package of rivets: The diameter of the rivet and its grip length. When picking up washers you just have to match your rivets' diameter - ex. for 1/8" (3mm) rivets you want 1/8" (3 mm) washers.

I also bought a package of white rivets, but unfortunately they were 1/8" grip which was too short to hold two pieces of ABS together, even with washers. I had to move up to 3/16"-1/4" rivets and they worked great, but then I had to paint them white.

how much is a rivet gun with washers etc.??? i'm getting TX armor this wed. and want to put this thing together securely!!!!!

how much is a rivet gun with washers etc.??? i'm getting TX armor this wed. and want to put this thing together securely!!!!!

A rivet gun costs about $15-25 at any hardware store. Rivets are usually $5 or less for a pack of about 100.

:D I bought the rivet gun just now, so I'm all set. Thanks for all your help. I can't Believe that people say my space is cool. White Armor is cooler. :trooper:

myspace is cool if you're under 30. FISD is cool to people at any age :)

If you have one close by, it is much more cost effective to go to a fastener supplier than a large chain like Home Depot for finding rivets and washers. I have a few by me. Here is a link to one, Fastenal

-------------

Much better variety of widths, lengths, alloys, etc.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed