Decals vs Hand-Painted

Curious everyone, which do you prefer and why? Having a shaky hand is bad enough, what is the best way to hand paint your helmet.

Can Model masters French blue be used for abs buttons and tube strip colors?

Thanks

Brenton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have an ATA helmet.  I'm going to use decals for the tube stripes, tear drops, and vents.  I'll be hand-painting the vocoder, frown, ears, and the ab buttons.

Why am I using decals?  Because I'm not an artist.  Why am I painting the vocoder, frown, and ears?  Because I can't get decals for those. :)  I figure I can easily mask off the buttons and paint them to look nice.

Edited by maxsteele

As above ;) and if you are going to buy decals use trooperbay's Dave M decals, they are made to look hand painted :jc_doublethumbup:

I hand painted my lid and I have to say that that was my favorite and most rewarding part of my build.  It looks really good hand painted.  I used Trooperbay's stencils and they worked really well.  I am not an artist by any means, but it was not difficult.  Just be patient.  Also, any stray paint "outside the lines" can be "scrapped away" and lines can be tightened using a toothpick.

• 6 months later...

This topic is abit old but I wanted to know out of curiosity. In order to be accepted into the 501st are decals on the abdomen plate allowable? My helmet will have decals, except for the ear pinstripe, vocoder, ears and frown. I don't mind painting, but I'm no artist. I already purchased the abdomen and ear pinstripe decals from trooperbay. I don't want to find out I'll get denied because of decals on abdomen.

This topic is abit old but I wanted to know out of curiosity. In order to be accepted into the 501st are decals on the abdomen plate allowable? My helmet will have decals, except for the ear pinstripe, vocoder, ears and frown. I don't mind painting, but I'm no artist. I already purchased the abdomen and ear pinstripe decals from trooperbay. I don't want to find out I'll get denied because of decals on abdomen.

Didn't even know they made decals for the abd.. Is hand paint them of your already painting other aspects in your build.. It'll give your armor that added screen authenticity

I did this for a friend of mine.. I am building a second AP bucket and am painting that one too. I Might even pull the stickers off my current AP and pain them too.

This was before I touched the side up.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to stick with the helmet decals, that's for sure. The frown, vocador, and ears look simple enough. The ear pinstripe which I have from trooperbay will be used specifically because I don't have the steady hands for that detail. I suppose I might as well paint the abdomen plate. Was just wondering if it would be against me to use decals over paint.