How to assemble accurate stormtrooper armor

Since September 2012 I have been building a set of armor for a friend. I have been documenting as much as I could in video form. Hopefully these videos will be of some use to new members. - Mike

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

More to come.....stay tuned....

Edited by MTK

• 2 weeks later...

only thing I wonder about is the thigh belt location for the cap rivets  the location is incorrect.

mike can you explain why you moved the location?

thanks in advance.

Great Videos.  Cant wait for more!

Here's the question I have...  How many hours does it take to build a set of armor?

I ask because I was expecting to receive my "big brown box" in September, but have recently learned that now, it wont delivered until October.  My son was really hoping that I would have the armor together in time for Halloween (as was I!).  Just wondering if, say, it arrives a week before Halloween, do you think a first time builder like myself will have the armor together in time to go trick-or-treating?  

(I've saved a weeks of vacation time for the build.  Told the boss that once my box arrives, I wont be in for the next week, so I have the free time to work day and night on the build.)

Just curious what you think.  Thanks for the feedback!

Here's the question I have...  How many hours does it take to build a set of armor?

I ask because I was expecting to receive my "big brown box" in September, but have recently learned that now, it wont delivered until October.  My son was really hoping that I would have the armor together in time for Halloween (as was I!).  Just wondering if, say, it arrives a week before Halloween, do you think a first time builder like myself will have the armor together in time to go trick-or-treating?  

(I've saved a weeks of vacation time for the build.  Told the boss that once my box arrives, I wont be in for the next week, so I have the free time to work day and night on the build.)

Just curious what you think.  Thanks for the feedback!

Honestly, that is really only a question you can answer.  :)

It depends who you got the armor from, and the state that it's in once you get it.  It depends on how crafty you are working with ABS.  It depends if you have all of the tools and all of the accessories.  It depends on if you get to a point where you're frustrated and you walk away from building the armor for a week.

Can it be done in a month?  2 weeks?  Sure.  But stars must align and the armor building gods must smile upon you.  :)

Can it be done in a month?  2 weeks?  Sure.  But stars must align and the armor building gods must smile upon you.   :)

I was afraid of that.   :blink:

Hopefully the armor will arrive sooner rather then later, fingers crossed.  I'm also going to ask the members of the local garrison for help.  Maybe someone will take me under their wing and shepherd me through the build.  We'll see!  

Wish me luck!

only thing I wonder about is the thigh belt location for the cap rivets  the location is incorrect.

mike can you explain why you moved the location?

thanks in advance.

I decided to move it up to make the belt or ammo pack straight. I have since seen your posts vern and I was asked about it during MEPD SWAT activation as well so we have fixed it. I need to go to the video and change that I guess . :)

The armor took 10 months to complete, but if I guessed at the hours I would say 80-100 hours. I could only work on the kit between other stuff and on odd weekends, plus taking video everytime I did assembly really slowed me down. I think in the end though, that it will be a fun series to watch and get a true idea of whats involved. I am still editing the remaining parts and trying to re shoot areas lost when my computer crashed.

Thanks for the post, this will really come in handy and be a valuable asset to me as I build my armor! Keep up the good work

Thanks man, its always nice to get feedback :)

• 1 month later...

I found those videos way back when I was about to start building my first kit. It was one of my main resources aside from this forum and the movie. It's one thing to see a series of photos with a written explanation and something else entirely to watch the process as it happens. It gave me the confidence I needed to get started. I am grateful to anyone who takes the time to make tutorials as I find they are essential, especially when its something you've never tried before. So for that I give a big THANKS to Mike for the effort!

That being said...yeah, I spent some time drilling, filling, patching to reposition the thigh belt. LOL...

Yes, I have evidence. RS put up a picture of their inside of that belt whilst making a tutorial. :)

Full gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150515780229333.386994.265114729332&type=3

Cap rivets are used on all parts where it is not split rivets, ie everywhere but the side of the torso and helmet (helmet of course uses pop rivets).

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed