OW's NE build: ANH Stunt

My armor kit should arrive this afternoon. I'll be working on it as much as I can in the coming days, as I hope to complete it by May 31st for Denver Comic Con. My goal is EIB, I will not be going for Centurion.

I won't be able to go EIB until I replace my blaster, as it is a Hasbro set up for my old ESB Snowtrooper. I'm also ordering parts for a backpack-less Heavy Weapons Trooper for informal troops. I live full time in a class-C RV, so I don't have the room for the backpack... I barely have room for the TK as it is. ;)

I ordered a whole slew of parts:

NE Armor Kit - Tupperwaretk

Dual fan Kit - Evilboy

Holster - cyodarun

Neck Seal - Darman

Canvas Belt - RobK

Green lenses - TK-1422

Compression suit / Under armor - Local - target, sporting goods store, etc. (I already had these)

Black nomex flight gloves - Local surplus store

Boots - Amazon Bass Men's Boots

Banker's clips for thermal detonator - Office Depot

Shoe dye products - http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/

E-11 blaster – Already had this

Web straps, clips, snaps, snap gun, velcro, etc.       - Joanne's

Clamps, soldering iron, rivet gun, rare earth magnets, clamps, etc. - Harbor Freight

Grand total:        ~1,300

Pouches (geting from a fellow 501st'er on the main forums)

Pauldron - need to pay for it, getting from a source on the MEPD

I recommend getting the JoAnn's app for your phone --they have 40 or 50% off coupons, it makes getting the Dritz snap tool a bit cheaper --they run $27 each normally.

After ordering that metric ton of stuff --enough to make the wife, and the bank account, have conniption fits  --I started working on the boots while the armor was en route.

I ordered these boots from Amazon and Whote Tarrrago Color Dye and White Meltonian Nu-Life Color Spray Paint from Shoecaresupplies.com.

I got these steps from MG member Garbz, I think it is a great tutorial. The steps are his, but I'm using my own pictures:

Step 1. Scrub the Acetone or the leather prep liquid that is supplied with the dye over all of each boots.
I did three go-arounds

399885_10201092291857996_45614233_n.jpg

Step 2. In a circular motion apply the dye. Let dry and repeat. The more layers of dye will prevent black scratches fromshowing due to wear and tear.

I recommend 2 bottles of the dye. I only had one bottle, and I kinda wish I had more.

Step 3. Evenly spray the Nu-Life paint over the dyed boots. I did 3 layers.

Beware: It took 2 weeks to get in the spray, as they have to ship it ground.

182593_10201155633441496_805293114_n.jpg

Step 4. Military Polish with the Neutral/Clear polish to seal and protect the painted/dyed leather

Step 5. Use white fabric paint to touch up the Elastic.

I need to get the fabric paint today, gotta love 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby.

And that's it for now.

Edited by Obey Wann

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a lot of people will be getting their NE kits in the coming days (mine should arrive tomorrow).  Hope to see lots of building threads because as of right now a little anxious to get going on it and have no idea really what I'm doing.  Been looking through lots of threads but will be different once I have armor in-hand.

Moving along nicely can't wait to see the rest of the build, good luck with it :D

Thanks, guys!

Christmas time in TK land... check out the album for pics of everything that came in the box.
My kit came in tonight.

Initial impressions:

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

The attention to detailing is amazing, from the packaging to all of the parts included. The armor is super sharp, well trimmed, absolutely amazing.

Did I mention that it's trimmed?

image.jpg

Very well packaged. Kinda like a tent that never fits right back in the bag that it comes in. The attention to detail in the wrapping and protecting of the kit is awesome.

image.jpg

Yes, it comes with aerators.

image.jpg

??? Not the Thermal Detonator.

image.jpg

image.jpg

They even included the hard hat liner!!!

image.jpg

OK, this impressed me the most. Seriously???? Wow. That is a lot of attention to detail, and will no doubt make things go faster. Sheesh, it's almost like they want people to build these kits or something. ;)

image.jpg

More attention to detail. Backs for the drop boxes?!?!?! Impressive!

image.jpg

All the detail bits for various troopers...

image.jpg

Did I mention that it is trimmed?

image.jpg

More in a bit...

Belt, ammo boxes and cover strips...

image.jpg

Sorry, we were losing light...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

More impressions...

I've done several clone kits of varying types. This build is fantastic, and should be very easy for even a new person to build. I can't believe that they sewed Velcro onto all of that elastic. It'll take me a bit to get to know what it's all for, but... wow. Serious attention to detail in making this n00b friendly.

I'm fairly husky right now. I'm 5'8" and about 230lbs, with a 48" chest. It looks like this kit will fit my frame very nicely. I didn't test fit it with under armor on, but I did a quick check against my chest, and it looks like it will fit me perfectly.

After having done clones, I am so excited about doing something that is fit and sized for a human being. No seams to make seamless, no expensive add on foam belts. Pretty much everything to get the hard parts going. I didn't even need as much extra stuff from Joanns... but I'm glad I have it for now.

Yes, you still need to get the canvas belt, holster, boots, gloves, under armor, etc. But this looks like it will be a very straightforward build. Far less trimming, cutting, and work than I'm used to in clone-land.

They even included these lenses:

image.jpg

Here is my canvas belt and my neck seal:

image.jpg

And my haul from Joanns:

image.jpg

And my haul from Harbor Freight:

image.jpg

I just need gloves and white fabric paint for the boots. Some of my garrison mates have the paint, so I'll hold off on buying that.

I think I'm ready to roll. Now I just need the time to Git 'R Done!!!

ED: also, my Evilboy fan set came in today. :)

Edited by Obey Wann

I just bought lenses, too. Oh well, no worries. :) You're absolutely right, no trimming needed, except to trim for fit. Wow. They even did the eyes on the bucket face. I must be used to fairly basic builds with rough trimmed kits. I think the last trimmed kit I got was my Snowtrooper from Mon Cal.

I think that once we all get a feel for what the velcro parts are, we can really fly in the builds. :smiley-sw013:  :jc_doublethumbup:  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  :icon_bow::dancing-trooper:

I'm glad that you like you kit, although on a personal level I'm still not getting the "pre-trimmed" hype. You still have to trim it to your size since no kit will ever fit perfectly out of the box, and all trimming is basically the same effort. You just change where you make the cut to trim off more or less, but it's still the same amount of effort.

But don't let me put you down. Keep your chin up and take your time. And have fun! :)

True enough... but after getting several raw kits in the past, this seems like it will go much faster, with a lot less waste. It's enough to cut off a few hours worth of effort. That's all.  :)

The rough work is done, now, it's just the fine tuning. (And in my case, I live in a 31 foot class C RV. The less mess, the less fuss and the less space, the better. )

Locitus you wouldn't have to trim all of the large pieces chest, back, cod, kidney, butt, and also shoulder bells and handguards, sniper plate etc etc... the parts you do trim to fit forearms, shins etc would all be half the amount of trimming ( only left and right for a good fit rather than all four sides). speaking from a newbie perspective, that makes it sooo much easier and less daunting xD

Chris, NE is tupperwareTK. I'm a TK N00b, so I can't identify Troopergear.  When I was doing my research, local TK experts recommended this kit for me. I'm still new enough to the TK world that I can't identify the particular makers. I know (or knew) clones a lot more. This TK world is still completely new to me.

So the NE kit will fit us larger framed guys!!! I cant wait for mine to come. I had to order on the next wave. After seeing what they all included in the shipment I am super excited and cannot wait to start building.

Christopher: I am 5'8", and about 235pounds. 48" chest, and a 40" waist.  (I gained too much weight post-Navy to fit well into the skinny-guy kits... the joys of a desk job, school etc.... :-/ )

I have not tried it on yet, beyond a quick test fit of the chest during the initial unpack and inventory, but the chest felt like it was proportional to my frame. We're having an armor party this Saturday, so I should make some good progress and I'll get some pics for you. I think it's tough to get a feel for how a kit looks unless you are wearing underarmor, so I really can't say for sure.

Bill,

Do you happen to know what, if any, difference there is between the NE kits orderd from Tupperwaretk and Troopergear?

I just emailed tupperwearTK to see what the difference is between his and troopergears, if any. Price, included pieces, etc...

I haven't made any progress on building in the last couple of days, but I did pick up this uber tote at the Container Store:

Stor_it_All_Trunk292500_x.jpg

And I got this strap guide from TupperwareTK. I figured there was a plan for all of the straps, and here it is:

945475_156787691168507_48984511_n.jpg

I am considering adding snaps to them as well, for double security. We'll see. I don't want to waste the work they put into the system, but local feedback, is telling me that snaps > velcro.

I am also considering using the webbing for the connections like what Redforce is doing. I have some extra webbing since they included the straps with the kit... might as well use it. I'll be doing a lot of work this weekend.... can't wait to make progress.

What do folks usually start with for TKs? Biceps and forearms? With clones, I usually started with the ab section, but that's because it all had to be seamless.

Edited by Obey Wann

I made some progress today. First, the easy bit: I attached the straps for the hand plates and straps for the belt boxes. (It rained a bit while I was working outside tonight)

Progress+5-10-2013-101.jpg

I made trim lines for the shoulder straps. I'll go to a friend's shop tomorrow and probably trim these down on the belt sander.

Progress+5-10-2013-201.jpg

Attached the butt and kidney armor using the straps that came with the kit:

Progress+5-10-2013-301.jpg

Trimmed up the forearms a bit. Mainly, I trimmed the return edge on the wrist end. The line in green is about where my wrist is when I have my elbow bent.

TK+arm-pre+trim01.jpg

Trimmed the return edge on the top of the biceps.

TK+bicep+pre+trim01.jpg

Do most people trim their forearms before or after they glue them together?

Which end of the bicep do I trim off? Top or bottom? They are a bit long and will definitely pinch.

We have an armor party tomorrow, I hope to make a lot of progress.

I made some progress today. First, the easy bit: I attached the straps for the hand plates and straps for the belt boxes. (It rained a bit while I was working outside tonight)

Progress+5-10-2013-101.jpg

I made trim lines for the shoulder straps. I'll go to a friend's shop tomorrow and probably trim these down on the belt sander.

Progress+5-10-2013-201.jpg

Attached the butt and kidney armor using the straps that came with the kit:

Progress+5-10-2013-301.jpg

Trimmed up the forearms a bit. Mainly, I trimmed the return edge on the wrist end. The line in green is about where my wrist is when I have my elbow bent.

TK+arm-pre+trim01.jpg

Trimmed the return edge on the top of the biceps.

TK+bicep+pre+trim01.jpg

And I put the final coat of spray on the boots:

TK+boots+01.jpg

And I glued the TD plate on and added snaps for an elastic strap to hold the end caps on.

TD+progress.jpg

Do most people trim their forearms before or after they glue them together?

Which end of the bicep do I trim off? Top or bottom? They are a bit long and will definitely pinch.

We have an armor party tomorrow, I hope to make a lot of progress.

I've been painting the black elastic on my boots, using Design Master floral fabric paints, the same stuff I use on my Endor Rebel Trooper... the elastic is just sucking up the white and not showing it much. Is this white enough, or do I need to keep going?

971702_10201219515678512_293949670_n.jpg

From the looks of it, some of their boots were pretty rough:

gallery_14191_17_36955.jpg

gallery_14191_17_19422.jpg

gallery_14191_17_30673.jpg