Ibnzbass4 Stunt Build (ATA)

Well, I'm still on the waiting list for my armor and will remain that way for a while, so starting a thread seemed a bit premature. But then I see that some other guys have started up anticipation threads and I figured, why not? I did manage to get myself on the list for ATA armor, and I'm in the procesf of scaping together the funds. I may go ahead and pick up the bucket first, but even so, I'm going to wait until after tax season ends. :) In the meantime, I have started working on little things here and there.

I do have an old Hasbro E-11 that I converted about 10 years ago. It should be OK for trooping, but I will need a better option at some point in the future -- after building the armor. For this one, I will likely Dremel off the makeshift magazine I built, and then pick up the Doopydoos conversion kit. But again, I'll wait a little while. I'm just going to add some weathering for the short term.

P7250087_zpsea685d92.jpg

I'm presently trying out some ideas for a homemade neckseal. I have some materials laying around from previous costumes, so it doesn't cost anything which is key. Gotta save up for the armor and other things I can't make myself. Here I have some pleather which is wrapped around parachute cord. I'll stitch the individual sections for better definition and then sew them together. Here's a pic of me just holding 3 sections in place to get an idea of what it may eventually look like. I know the spacing is off but the slipped when I held them up. I anticipate about 10 section with perhaps a tapering section or 2.

786441673_2791092579_0_zps8dc84971.jpg

I also got lucky (as noted elsewhere), and was able to grab a pair of TK Boots as part of their final batch until they get a new supplier. They look great and fit perfectly.

785809283_2789034900_0_zpsd468c635.jpg

Only baby steps, but you have to start somewhere, right? I won't have any armor build posts for a few months, but I'll update as my neckseal progresses (I already had 1 epic fail, and have a third idea in mind in case this one doesn' pan out!) Until then, thanks for looking. :smiley-sw013:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more progress on the neckseal. I have seix section tacked and folded over the cord. Now I nees to sew them together, but here you can see how its starting to come together. Mind you, I'm still just holding them in place, so pay no attention to the spacing.

787469269_2794432714_0_zps2e3038d3.jpg

post-18007-0-70307200-1363538622.jpg

post-18007-0-30848900-1363538623.jpg

Edited by Ibnzbass4

I finished off 10 sections of ribbing for my neckseal. I have not sewn them together yet, but only just finished making them. I read that the hero seals worn by Han and Luke had 11 sections -- including a couple of tapering sections as far as I can tell. But the stunt neckseal don't seem to have the added tapering sections along the jawline. Is that correct? I'm looking stunt here and was trying to decide between 8, 9 or 10 sections. The 10 together seems a little tall for me as it is quite stiff. Any good advice would be helpful. Here's a lousy cellphone pick of the sections sitting together. I hope to start sewing this weekend.

788594749_2798113038_0_zpsa9ffde3b.jpg

Edited by Ibnzbass4

Not much progress, but I did manage to run into HobbyTown and grab some Testors 1138 grey, 2715 Model Masters french blue and the gloss black (plus some white to boot). Hope to get that neckseal completed this week though.

788963127_2799324171_0_zps9474c1fc.jpg

Hey every little bit adds up in the end. Check out Karins neck seal thread there are some nice pics and info there http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/15948-latex-stunt-neck-seals-research-and-build-thread/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm right where you are. got my tkboots ordered and am on the ATA wait list. I also have a blaster kit to work on but in the mean time, i'm working on a boba too so I have plenty to do. Unfortunatly, not much time. Thinking about getting the helmet sent out earlier as it seems to be a much easier build than the boba helmet I'm currently working on

Minor update. I have sewn the first 3 sections of my homemade neck seal together (not an easy task with an old machine and the parachute cord inside), and attached the cotton backing that will go against my neck. Once all 9 sections are sewn together, I will trim the cotton backing and secure the bottom into place along the seam where the bib will attach. Still only out about $4 for the Velcro and parachute cord I picked up at Michael's, and it is slowly coming together. The concept is a decent look for minimal price. If you can make it, why buy it, right? Here's a couple of captures from my old cell phone:

791773498_2808262925_0a_zps932da5fc.jpg

791774313_2808265526_0a_zpsb18ed9c7.jpg

I know you can't see much detail in these lousy pics, but I still wanted to post up my progress. Better pics later.

Edited by Ibnzbass4

A little more progress. I am stopping at 8 ribs as any larger would be too long for my neck. It is very stiff due to the parachute chord inside and the fact that multiple sections overlap so additional ribs would make it too hard to move around. I still have to attach a section in the back for the vlecro enclosure. I also need to make the bib. The extra section you see here will be trimmed and sewn down -- it is just part of the cotton lining. Not the best construction method, but its been a work in progress. Here are some updates shots:

792417932_2810343537_0_zps7c1d3ba4.jpg

792417823_2810343185_0_zps27479f08.jpg

Edited by Ibnzbass4

• 1 month later...

Been held up on the neckseal for a little while so no new progress pics. Life got in the way and my ancient sewing machine is now giving me a hard time.

So on to the TD clips. I grabbed some aluminum, cut and sanded to a shine. Next step, into the vice grip for shaping.

798098120_2828655474_0_zps8d85223e.jpg

798098358_2828656248_0_zps73cc21da.jpg

Just on the neck seal you have done some nice work there, you could make it with a dip for under your chin, this will make it more comfortable and it won't be trying to push your neck up all the time :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good, just on the neck seal if you create a dip at the front just under the chin you will find it a lot more comfortable to wear and it won't feel like it is pushing your chin up all of the time. If it works for you then fine, well done :D

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, just on the neck seal if you create a dip at the front just under the chin you will find it a lot more comfortable to wear and it won't feel like it is pushing your chin up all of the time. If it works for you then fine, well done

Going to see what I can do to accomplish that.

Just got word that Terrell is backed up about 6 weeks on armor so my date of arrival is now probably late August. So I still have time to get back to work on some of this peripheral stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...