helmet fan placement help needed

Hey Guys, I have two small PC fans, I placed them inside my helmet along the frown line and they worked great for air, but I found they trim my mustache and I bang my nose into them and even cut myself...

so I need suggestions on locations that will still give me air but not hurt me...

pictures would be great, do I go with one in the bottom but does this give me enough cool air since it is not near a hole.

any help would be great thanks

Dan, I use a single squirrel fan in the lower right area that blows between the frown and eyes. This keeps things from fogging pretty well. I found that I had enough room in the bucket that I did not need to draw air in or out directly. I can take a photo when I get home from work. If you need a squirrel fan/9V box, I can set you up next time we meet up.

I have one Squirrel fan located in the left cheek bulb just behind and above the mic tip screw. I thread the battery and switch along the neck bulge to the back. I have an AP helmet (small) and it works great. I could fit another on the right but I don't need it.

I have a shopping list and diagrams and info ------------. Let me know if you need anything.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I have one Squirrel fan located in the left cheek bulb just behind and above the mic tip screw. I thread the battery and switch along the neck bulge to the back. I have an AP helmet (small) and it works great. I could fit another on the right but I don't need it.

I have a shopping list and diagrams and info here. Let me know if you need anything.

Hi Ingrid,

Are you running a 12V or 5V fan ?...I'm considering options right now (there are so many out there) and I also have AP so I may hit you up for an order once I'm certain which way I'm going with this...LMK if you can help... :)

Here are my Squirrel Fans mounted in my RT-Mod Bucket. I ran that battery packs to the opposite sides of the bucket to use up the cable without needing to mod it at all. My Head is 24 3/4" and I can still get it in carefully with both fans, both battery packs, microphone & the wireless mike transmitter. I just have to take care with the mesh on the frown as I can scratch my nose on it, I've bought some nylon sewing edging that I plan to glue over the edges of the mesh to avoid this.

I used double sided tape to test mount them and once happy I ground off a couple of the mounting lugs to allow them to sit as flush as possible. Then just some hot glue on the back and push them in. The battery packs are velcro'd in to allow battery changes.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Dan, here is my single fan location.

-----------

If oyu want to try one out, I can provide you the Squirrel Fan.

I do like that Craig did with his by removing the excess casing to get it into the recessed area next to the Hovi nubs, but in turn I like the position of mine as I can more easily get the airflow between my nose and eyes without dryign out the eyes or blowing UP the nose. . You can also increase airflow by allowing a very slight gap on the underside of the lens. This will also assist in reducing fogging.

I prefer Velcro to the gluing as it allows for tweaking the position as needed (more towards eyes when fogging risk is greater).

Battery pack is just under the ear on mine:

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I do like that the squirrel fans are covered so no more losing my mustache or nicking my nose. I have very little room in my bucket for anything but I need fans, I ran without them on for half an hour and I almost passed out. So Clamps I will take you up on your offer, I am going to velcro a PC fan in for now and then replace it with your squirrel fan when I get it. thanks buddy.

I have two fans attached to the bolts of the aerators run by a 9v battery. What you cant see is the battery boxes which I have mounted on either side by the ears and the small amp is velcroed in the top of the helmet, which is also run by a 9v. Seem to be working great for me, this is an AP helmet so I had limited space to work with. It is a little snug to get on and off, but feels really comfortable when its on. Since taking this picture I have added screens to the fans for obvious reasons lol

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to share my appreciation with everyone who posted pics and advice in this thread. It is really helpful to see what different troopers have tried. I am a very visual trooper, so this has been great!

• Like 1