Helmet Question?

My kit just arrived and I am super stoked about getting started but I noticed the helmet was made out of two different plastics. So I was wondering if this will polish to match using the novus polish or if I should ask for a new bucket? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Jaypost-17604-0-18565400-1356279787.jpgpost-17604-0-26410200-1356279804.jpg

Hmm, from the pictures I can´t see any color difference.

Is it that obvious?

You can try to polish it so that it matches, another alternative would be to spray paint the helmet.

Is this an ATA helmet?

Probably you will get a new one if you tell the maker, that your not satisfied with the color difference.

What make is the helmet, I have ata and there was no difference, was this helmet from a maker or ebay. Polish may work, maybe try a bit on he inside, worst synario you will have to paint both pieces.

The kit is a FAC, from the run Trey was offering. Everything is fantastic otherwise. I stayed clear of ebay after reading the horror stories on here. I would rather to not have to paint if at all possible. Im going to contact the maker and see if I can trade it for a new one, hopefully all will go well with that.

I've never seen them not match when coming from the same batch. Sorry that happened. I am sure we can work something out. MY only problem now is a new helmet matching the other armor.

In the very blurry picture I see a slight color difference but focus and angle can effect that. in the other I do not. I'd like to see a lot of other photos showing they do not match but based on the 2 you show I don't see a problem. Inside light is bad light to judge things.

Sorry about the confussion, Im a newbie on this, everything is great and I hope I can polish this up and its all good. I love the kit very well laid out and instructions are clear and make it easy to work on, novus polish is on the way. Thanks again for offering this. Do you have any suggestions? J

I honestly cannot see any color difference in the photos above, which leads me to believe it is either too subtle for the camera to distinguish or a perceptual issue. (I've studied art for several decades and never cease to be amazed how much the mind can influence perception of color)

The thickness of the plastic may vary considerably depending on the shape it was formed over...portions of the helmet are much thinner than others. It is conceivable that very thin pulls of plastic might experience some translucency. Perhaps you have perceived differing thickness and backlighting as a difference in color/plastic? If that is the case, simply assembling the helmet and/or painting the interior would render the entire helmet equally opaque.

Edited by fritzthefox

Thanks all of you for your advice and help. The answer was right in front of me being a dental lab guy!!!!! Buff it lightly and bring the shine back.....duh.....I use this type of material every stinking day. I feel like an idiot, the other guy I work with noticed the slight dullness of the hood apposed to the face and after a deep thought session went try light buffing. Problem solved, back to making teeth!!!! Everyone have a great day and thanks again. Jay

Notice in the pic where you can see the warp in the eye, i have heard this is refered to as a "sty" and is cannon to ANH versions..is this true?

Some, but not all had it, or not very noticeable anyway.

post-17604-0-66589100-1356574530.jpgHere is a post light buff pic in good light at the lab. Looks great, nice and bright just like the face.Thanks again everyone for your help.J

It may be the photo but to me the dome looks more shiney then the face plate now and that warp in the eye looks alot like an AP.

Are AP's know to have that type of deviation? Would it be wise to just leave it or is there a way to try and tone it down?

AP's are the most known kind the have it. It's kind of their signature mark. Best to leave it in unless you know what you're doing. You might risk damaging the helmet otherwise.

I couldn't stand the look of it, Its kinder got that freshly punched in the face by a wookie look to it and its not that hard to tone down a bit.Besides the flare is in the return edge not the eye it self.

I reduced the flare in the right eye by just adding pressure with my fingers.

--------------

In my opinion the improvement.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021