My project: from a TM kit to a Tantive IV Boarding Party Stormtrooper

Boots arrived.

Unfortunately, they were not Stuarts but Coles. 

Anyway, they do look the part and think will be great placeholders until I find a pair of original Stuarts.

Now, need to find out how to better paint them white.

Saludos.

I see you saw the most recent boot post with a spray on application that looks super badass. 

Here are 3 boot painting threads using angelus leather dye:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27114-dyeing-black-boots-white/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24897-painting-my-loake-boots-white/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24775-painting-my-black-chelsea-boots-white/

(Soren's is my favorite thread)

-Eric

THX Eric, that will be very useful.

I don't want a pristine white paint job. I rather want the chipping off and scratching that shows the black underneath, and the scuffy look of the real wardrobe.

Something like this:

stromtrooperboots-2_zps0ce9cd73.jpg

boots_zps644f62cf.jpg

And might even be something like this... but don't know yet. Might be too much... but then again, it might be just right.

boots3_zpsb153945f.jpg

So... was even considering spray paint... Or maybe painting very thick layers of Leather Paint to make it chip easier and faster.

I aim for the careless paint job...

The whole thing of getting this vintage boots was to paint them and make them chip to show the black under the white. 

Anyone has gone this way... I mean, there are many that has done it, but, anyone has any good ideas? 

A lot of research lies in front of me before actually starting to paint them.

Thx 

Saludos

PS. Just curious, would such kind of paint job be fine for Centurion? Considering it will match my armor's look of course.

We long removed the Centurion requirement that the boots be scuffed. Our thinking is that as long as the boots match the condition of the armor, you're good to go.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep!

They will match the armor for sure.

My concern is if replica weathering and damage would be to much for Centurion, or is that fine. 

The CRL doesn't explicitly defines that. But coming from the SWAT program, I know I can go to the limit (and probably will) of "prop forging", but was in the understanding that was too much for centurion at some point.

:)

Won't go ahead of myself yet. Lets see how my armor and boots come out first.

Saludos and THX bro. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally decided to make myself finish this armor and set a deadline for me tu submit my EIB and Centurion applications. 

Not much still to do building wise, just a lot of weathering and detailing.

I hope to have this donde in the next 4 weeks. Lets see.

In the mean time, here is a picture of my last troop, this last saturday during the Star Wars Rebels premiere event in Mexico City.

Hope you can tell which one I am. ;)

1782266_10152788054053420_83586524145980

At this time it was my TM armor with my Cap-W set for stun replica bucket.

Saludos

• Like 1

Thx bro... :)

Time for a real update after a year or so...

I trimmed the back of the shins' tops and the lower back end of one of the thighs to emulate what we see on TKs on the Tantive IV.

Also painted white the balck elastics inside the thighs and the shoulder bells.

And finally started the weathering on one shin, making trials with old newspaper I kept for more than a year to do this. Starting to look good I think.

Let me know what do you think.

00a18592c06392b5fc6a96ffab5f08f9_zpsc543

7e54c37dc0c7329334ead96fbcd6d163_zps40f4

EC72267D-5683-4091-914E-CFAFC86AA8F6_zps

498546BB-D0C1-4DFA-A45E-591BB6D7E3E1_zps

8c53ba9cd0ef404d5b12eb85d801d3e7_zps895a

055A1AFA-3DEA-4CBF-9501-177F5BFE092A_zps

9BD3CF35-AE56-411E-9DCF-679241A8DA97_zps

Saludos.

Edited by iconoclasta_88
  • Like 1

Thx borthers.

About the frown on the other troopers, it is painted silver for some reason, so it looks like it is not painted in pictures.

Will post more progress soon.

Saludos.

Did almost the lastof the mods planned/needed to apply for EIB and Centurion: the D ring. 

It is now painted flat black and now just waiting to add the cylinders and final weathering. 

Then, finish the armor's weathering and thats it I hope!

10661718_10152813406798420_6478717305059

What do you think?

Saludos

Looks like it. And I real y hope it doesn't or you know I won't be able to sleep well until I put it the correct way.
And... Taking it of would be just very very difficult to do without ruining the part.

:S

Saludos.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

• 2 weeks later...

Your weathering is fantastic! Very metallic and authentic looking. The pistol grip should not be weathered, however. Even with very heavy use, the plastic grips on the real weapons still remained dark,glossy black.

Epic weathering! It looks awesome.

But as Gazmosis says, the handle grip shouldn't be weathered with metallic. Also on the side pic, the rear lock mecanism for the folding stock is glued quite far from the end cap:

med_gallery_12157_40_21052.jpg

Tried to remove the butt lock and back aim, to put them where they belong, with no success. I glued them too good, there is no way I can take them apart without using a dremel or something. And I don't know if I want to do that. What I did was ruining part of the weathering so I had to do it again. Anyway, it was a good opportunit to make it better looking. It is drying up st the moment, but I will post pictures soon.

Almost there.

Saludos.

Have you tried scoring repeatedly along the seam between the rear lock and barrel with a sharp blade like a x-acto? 

Anyway, there's nothing major here, right now the finished look is already excellent

I did think about that. Thing is a glued it with e6000 but added a little rim of epoxy glue to make it look like soldering. It is solid as a rock on the outside, glued solidly on the inside. :(

It was made to never come apart.

I don't want to have my props with the incorrect look or finish. So I did it to stay like that.

I guess I will have to wait till my next build.

Saludos.