RT Mod ANH build for Greg

Thanks Eric! I will get his droopy diaper-cod scooted up. Can Greg fly over to meet these girls? He was more interested in the girls' stockings than the armor. :P Anyway, I'll move the chest and back up, and get some more pictures in a few days. Those are good pics - even then ones without cute girls in them. Thanks for helping us!

Scoot the ab/cod up and the chest will come up... so will the kidney to meet the back. You can see in the butt shot that its all hanging too low like a saggy ABS diaper. What happens with the tall dudes is that the space between the ab buttons and the bottom edge of the chest is quite large compared to the ones you see on screen. It's better to have the chest up properly I think.

Here are a couple blatantly narcissistic photos of me and the placement of my chest... I actually think my ab/cod is a little low in these photos. I may need to shorten the elastic between chest and ab a bit to lower the chest and raise the ab. Oh and my drop box elastics were hot glued on right before we arrived and also hang too low. That's been corrected.

397360_10151117243398354_763981135_n.jpg

-Eric

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jenny, just now saw that you started a build thread for your hubbies armor. I really like the bucket, looks awesome. Can't wait to see it completed and get him reported for duty, we can always use more troopers out there.

Thanks, Jim! Let's get your dad out trooping, too! :)

I've got some updates.

Right thigh:

DSC_0049.jpg?t=1354764723

Going toi heat bend the belt a wee tiny bit... I lost a pair of paint stir sticks from my build. oops

DSC_0050.jpg?t=1354764720

I only used super glue on the sniper plate. HOW'S the ALIGNMENT LOOK????? :)

DSC_0051.jpg?t=1354764718

The cover strips for the backs of the shins are in place and I need to get the velcro attached.

DSC_0052.jpg?t=1354764715

DSC_0053.jpg?t=1354764712

Biceps...

DSC_0054.jpg?t=1354764709

Forearms...

DSC_0055.jpg?t=1354764707

Back (and upside down) L thigh. I made the cut and have a cover strip on the inside.

DSC_0056.jpg?t=1354764704

My paint job looks like poop.

DSC_0057.jpg?t=1354764702

This Left thigh has been giving me fits all day. I tried the boiling water for 5 mins to make the front bottom knee area more round instead of narrow. It didn't really work, so I might try some more heat and squishing later. I don't want to warp it, but the narrow knee is pinching the hubby.

DSC_0058.jpg?t=1354764698

Thanks for looking and let me know if there's something I can fix now instead of waiting until later! :)

Edited by jnnfr72

I only used super glue on the sniper plate. HOW'S the ALIGNMENT LOOK????? :)

DSC_0051.jpg?t=1354764718

Looks good from this angle. If you're taking photos again maybe another one from the side closer.

The cover strips look so nice on an RT build.

I really can't judge the thighs without seeing them worn.

He's at all stoked yet?

-Eric

I emailed Rob a few years back, and he was so nice, and I do LOVE his armor. :) Hubby was stoked last night at the progress, but then after the 15th time I had him retry on the left thigh he seemed to agree to anything so I would leave him alone. I'll get some more work and pics with the armor on in a few days and I DO appreciate the feedback. :salute: I'm a bit worried that the sniper plate will fall off, but I've got more glue. Lots more glue!

UPDATES on thighs.

I want to cut off this overlap on the bottom left thigh. I don't think I need it. I can make ABS paste and fill in the crack, correct? Anybody think I shoudl keep the overlap? :)

DSC_0062.jpg?t=1354804849

overlap pic...

DSC_0061.jpg?t=1354804853

Right thigh: I was originally going to make cuts where the black marker is, but then decided I wanted to remove the raised part on the outter right back thigh. So, I made dotted lines where I want my new cut to be. The right pencil line on the outter thigh will be the edge of the cover strip.

DSC_0060.jpg?t=1354804855

I then decided that I needed to move a half a cover strip over on the inner right thigh and my left black marker line will now be the outter edge of the cover strip, and then I made a new black marker cut line. Yes, I'm confused too and I hope I don't mess this up! :)

DSC_0059.jpg?t=1354804858

You can def cut the overlap. If you want some extra support, glue a piece of abs on the backside of the crack. Having an actual separation between the two pieces is more SA then a flush piece if I remember correctly.

Thanks Derrek!

:)

Update...

DSC_0001-2.jpg?t=1354834120

DSC_0001-2.jpg?t=1354834120

DSC_0003-2.jpg?t=1354834113

I need to re-attach this lots tighter, correct? I think I will tomorrow...

DSC_0004-2.jpg?t=1354834111

Shoving the butt and kidney helped to make the back piece fir much nicer. Thanks Eric!

DSC_0005-2.jpg?t=1354834108

Would you guys cut the shoulder bells at all?

DSC_0006-1.jpg?t=1354834105

DSC_0007-1.jpg?t=1354834102

DSC_0008-1.jpg?t=1354834098

Will work on belt tonight or tomorrow...

DSC_0009-1.jpg?t=1354834094

Please don't cut the bells.

Yes please glue the knee plate back on. I suggest e-6000 because it isn't as brittle as the CA glue. My CA glued knee came apart easily even after scuffing the area a bit.

And on the thighs... I wouldn't trim too much off until the whole kit is together and strapped. That way if you need to reshape or taper you will be able to be a sense of where/how it sits on him.

Otherwise it looks good for the blue tape phase.

How did you attach the belt to the.. Belt?

-Eric

I agree, don't cut the bells!

The biceps look pretty far up, are they snapped in yet? The best bet, especially for tall, monkey armed troopers so to try to get the biceps down as far as possible. It is more accurate, plus helps to reduce the blackhole space at the elbow.

The best bet is to do it the screen accurate way, take a 1inch strip of abs about 4-6inches long, it can be scrap, doesn't matter as most of it will be hidden. To make the hooks you will heat the last 1/2 inch and fold it over to create the hook. The hook should be just enough to catch the elastic band you have going around the inside of your shoulder bells.

Once you have the hook formed, apply E6000 generously on the 'fingerprint' inside the bicep. This spot was raised up to give a good flat spot to attach the hook to. Now you won't need the snaps as the bicep hook will catch on the shoulder bell strap.

Overall, what this does is lets the outside edge of the bicep 'sag' a little. It won't come out of the bell, but it will pull down a little since the fulcrum is on the other side.

I used snaps on my biceps first, but after my first troop, they kept coming unsnapped if I moved to much due to the difference in levels between the two snaps, I made some hooks.

I will make a picture tutorial in a few hours on how to make hooks! I'll link it once I get it done. Just to provide some help to others looking to do this.

I accidentally glued the shin velcro to the wrong side.. but I figured it out after an hour. :P That's drying, and the re-glued knee plate is drying, got my last cover strip on a thigh drying. Bought some snaps yesterday for the canvas belt and the plastic belt and then might start the 6 side rivet attachment to the belly today. I need to make lots and lots of snaps. I was thinking of brackets, but I just can't see myself doing that now. Maybe later... or maybe Greg will re-do them? I don't see that happening, but ya never know? He could do a better job than me, but he isn't interested too much. Well, he is a bit, but I'm not stopping until this sucker is done and EI approved. He can take over Centurion, but that's up to him.

Please don't cut the bells. Ok, sounds good, and Danke!

Yes please glue the knee plate back on. I suggest e-6000 because it isn't as brittle as the CA glue. My CA glued knee came apart easily even after scuffing the area a bit. Yar, I concur. I re-glued with E-six million today. [E600,000,000 is the cheaper off brand of E6000.]

And on the thighs... I wouldn't trim too much off until the whole kit is together and strapped. That way if you need to reshape or taper you will be able to be a sense of where/how it sits on him. WHOOOOOPS. Let's hope I did a good job. (yikes!!!!)

Otherwise it looks good for the blue tape phase.

How did you attach the belt to the.. Belt? I blue taped that sucker to that sucker!

-Eric

Hey Bud!

Thanks you for the help and I hope to not let ya down! :) Nope, won't cut the bells. I just had blue painters tape holding up the biceps. They (BICEPS) are a bit loose, so if you guys think I need to take em apart and re-size them, I will... but I hope they look ok. I know... probably need to judge that when all is strapped and done. I was going to do what I did for my biceps, and e6000 black elastic inside the bell and have that keep the bicep in place, but I will make the hook instead. I saw BIDS has that hook, also. Yay - new Tutorial!!!

I agree, don't cut the bells!

The biceps look pretty far up, are they snapped in yet? The best bet, especially for tall, monkey armed troopers so to try to get the biceps down as far as possible. It is more accurate, plus helps to reduce the blackhole space at the elbow.

The best bet is to do it the screen accurate way, take a 1inch strip of abs about 4-6inches long, it can be scrap, doesn't matter as most of it will be hidden. To make the hooks you will heat the last 1/2 inch and fold it over to create the hook. The hook should be just enough to catch the elastic band you have going around the inside of your shoulder bells.

Once you have the hook formed, apply E6000 generously on the 'fingerprint' inside the bicep. This spot was raised up to give a good flat spot to attach the hook to. Now you won't need the snaps as the bicep hook will catch on the shoulder bell strap.

Overall, what this does is lets the outside edge of the bicep 'sag' a little. It won't come out of the bell, but it will pull down a little since the fulcrum is on the other side.

I used snaps on my biceps first, but after my first troop, they kept coming unsnapped if I moved to much due to the difference in levels between the two snaps, I made some hooks.

I will make a picture tutorial in a few hours on how to make hooks! I'll link it once I get it done. Just to provide some help to others looking to do this.

Looking good :duim:

Thanks Glen! I'm getting close. I have to wait on more snaps [for shoulder bridge - shoulder bells - biceps - ab/cod - holster], a neck seal, going to order Karin's hand plates + gloves, and more split rivets for the right knee ammo belt and bottom of the cod. Then Greg needs to pick a 5 digit number. yay

Thanks Glen! I'm getting close. I have to wait on more snaps [for shoulder bridge - shoulder bells - biceps - ab/cod - holster], a neck seal, going to order Karin's hand plates + gloves, and more split rivets for the right knee ammo belt and bottom of the cod. Then Greg needs to pick a 5 digit number. yay

I did in the long wait for armor research what I needed to complete an armor build and purchased a lot of things prior to my build. It was like a little tease having small packages turning up in the mail on random days. I have thought of a few number combos but then they get taken LOL, may have to be the day off decision :D

Sorry I haven't made the tutorial yet, BEen lots of things going on. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can make some progress on getting started. The upside? Finished my Darth Vader saber upgrade. Removable blade, P4 LED, sweet!

Sorry I haven't made the tutorial yet, BEen lots of things going on. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can make some progress on getting started. The upside? Finished my Darth Vader saber upgrade. Removable blade, P4 LED, sweet!

That sounds wicked!

Wow, you're really going to town on that new armor. You'll have it done in no time.

BTW, I think I may have Susie talked into doing a costume too. I started looking into "Commander" stuff today. Not sure if it'll happen or not, but it's a start anyway.

Wow, you're really going to town on that new armor. You'll have it done in no time.

BTW, I think I may have Susie talked into doing a costume too. I started looking into "Commander" stuff today. Not sure if it'll happen or not, but it's a start anyway.

YAY! Glad Susie is getting interested. :) I was planning on getting Greg an Imperial Officer, but then that got sidelined when I saw the RT Mod for sale. I'm going to save up and get me an Officer sometime. Although... I haven't really been saving.. just spending for Greg's armor. He says those still count as my purchases... even though they are for him. But, yep - I'm feeling lots more confident on his armor than I did on mine. Actually, I am skipping lots of steps like sanding and all the extra measuring. Well, I measure the important parts, but I'm kinda winging it and will tweak his armor after it's done. I had to tweak the crap out of my armor, so I sort of know what to expect. I told Greg he's welcome to sand his armor all he wants when I'm done, but it's really rough right now. It's kinda funny how I'm throwing his stuff around... .like how I throw my armor around. When I forst got my armor I was so careful with it, and cleaned it all the time, but not anymore. :) I've accidentally scratched his, but I told him that's "authentic battle damage" and nothing to worry about. The 1st time I gouged my helmet I was sick for a week. But, I'm over that now.

YAY! Glad Susie is getting interested. :) I was planning on getting Greg an Imperial Officer, but then that got sidelined when I saw the RT Mod for sale. I'm going to save up and get me an Officer sometime. Although... I haven't really been saving.. just spending for Greg's armor. He says those still count as my purchases... even though they are for him. But, yep - I'm feeling lots more confident on his armor than I did on mine. Actually, I am skipping lots of steps like sanding and all the extra measuring. Well, I measure the important parts, but I'm kinda winging it and will tweak his armor after it's done. I had to tweak the crap out of my armor, so I sort of know what to expect. I told Greg he's welcome to sand his armor all he wants when I'm done, but it's really rough right now. It's kinda funny how I'm throwing his stuff around... .like how I throw my armor around. When I forst got my armor I was so careful with it, and cleaned it all the time, but not anymore. :) I've accidentally scratched his, but I told him that's "authentic battle damage" and nothing to worry about. The 1st time I gouged my helmet I was sick for a week. But, I'm over that now.

LOL I slipped with my dremel when trimming my teeth on the lid, was looking for a bucket real fast as the feeling in my stomache was not a happy one. Think eveyone has the same feeling with the first scratch, ding, dent. Least I won't be banging my head on a blast door like the trooper in ANH LO.

bash-head.gif