My newly Built CFO ROTJ suit

Hello all, I recently got an untrimmed RS Propmasters PVC suit, and I decided I wanted a ROTJ suit to match, so CFO was the natural choice. I got Mark to partially build me the ROTJ suit to save me some time, and partly because if anyone knew how to assemble the torso and lid correctly it would be Mark. I need to do the legs myself since the standard trimmed CFO legs will not fit.

I wanted to take this chance to show some pics of the CFO suit as it stands now and mention what a great guy Mark is. The torso is top notch.

Anyhoo look! its a TK inna Box! (Of course Mark Shipped it very well packed with the armor wrapped in white paper and bubble wrap)

2012-09-21_15-24-43_47-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the torso on my duct tape and PVC Manny. (figured seeing the torso on a hairy legged and boxer shorted Tk would distract a bit from the armor.... :) )

Please ignore the Vader, transformers, Macross, and Legos in the back ground :P

Also that is a Hyperfirm ROTJ E-11 and That is a fantastic blaster, it is sad that they can make no more :(

2012-10-26_16-38-36_335.jpg

Here are some pics of the lid with the great repro liner that Mark sent me (I stuck it in myself and am not sure if this is its final position)

2012-10-26_16-39-46_105.jpg2012-10-26_16-39-33_945.jpg2012-10-26_16-39-05_945.jpg

And final shots today, the appropriate ROTJ TD, with smaller clips than ANH or ESB and a bit of a different face detail.

2012-10-26_16-40-48_102.jpg2012-10-26_16-41-09_406.jpg

Once I get the legs finished I will get better pictures of it all together and from other Views.

Just wanted to drop the word that the CFO armor is great and Mark is super easy to deal with.

No the blaster is a hyperfirm from Scifire, but thie mold broke and they plan to make no more. I got one of the last batches supposedly.

It is a real shame, because I actually like it much more than the ANH version I also have (more detail).

With how impossible it is to find a good ROTJ blaster I was glad to stumble on the Hyperfirm while it was still available.

I have the thighs done, and have glued the front of the calves.

The problem I have is that as I am larger than traditional ROTJ trooper actors from the 80's the legs trimmed normally will not fit.

I got an untrimmed set of legs, and because these are completely uncleaned up cast From original ^_^ parts the line where the outside of the legs were trimmed and glued over the inner legs is still there and very pronounced. It is sort of like a second raised ridge about 10 MM past the first ridge. Since I needed about 25mm at least of material there I was a in a bit of a bind.

I tried using a heat sealing Iron to flatten the second ridge, but unfortunately it did not really work, it left an obvious line still.

The inner legs actually had alot more material on them before they started to curve from the molding process though.

I decided to lap the inner over the outer, which is non traditional I know, but looks much better than the other way round.

It is not a fault with CFO or Mark, but with the fact that my legs are really too big for the armor. It is not like ANH armor that you can trim to size and then pop a coverstrip over, since the legs are ROTj and have a molded seam, and need to be overlaped, you only have so much to work with.

I may at some point in the future pick up a set of RT Mod legs, but I really do not think that the inner over the outer looks bad.

Edited by rhapsodyred99

Well I suited up for the first time thsi weekend and overall I think it is ok.

A few areas I see are the TD clips are way too long, I'll need to cut those down.

I may need to try to get the thighs higher.

I need to paint the soles of the boots white.

The way the CFO legs and arms are molded from the original suit with no modifications, means that they are "flattened" a bit. I imagine it is because the real suit was kept stored on its back and over the years it flattened out. What that means is that they no longer quite fit naturally on a leg or arm. I will need to heat and open them the other way. The way they are now the biceps and calves especially want to rotate sideways as you move.

I am also not sold on the belt. It is easy to find 2 inch material and 3 inch material, but 2.25 -2.5 inch belting in white with close to the right pattern is rough. The material I have is 2.5 inches and has a pattern close to the original belts, but it is very thin. As a result you can see the holster pulls it down pretty bad. I could always layer it, but that would not be my first choice as the ROTJ belts were not made like ANH belts. I will keep looking.

Front1.jpgLeft1.jpgBack1.jpgright1.jpgBlastem1.jpgAtease1.jpgupshot.jpg

Edited by rhapsodyred99

While I'm the first to admit that I'm not an expert on ROTJ, I do think it looks good. Out of the few improvements I can think of you have already identified most of them. The only thing I don't see mentioned that I think could improve is to get the lower thighs slimmer to avoid the "barrel" look. I'm not sure how easy that is to do with overlap assembly, so I'm leaving the practical implementation to those more experienced with that kind of building.

What is obvious though is that you sure look like a ROTJ trooper, and a good one. :)

wow... looks good man!

one of the hints I pass along is to rotate the thighs outwards so that when you bring them up, the top points pass the side of your hip.

this allows them to be higher.

then if you need to, you can taper them from the back, to remove the 'barrel'

I'd rotate them out, then trim them once you've got the positions the way you want em!

great job!

Ok here are the final shots. Once I am approved Ill submit more detailed shots for EIB and Centurion.

Boot soles painted white, TD clips shortened, Legs and arms heated and reshaped to round instead of flat.

The legs can not go any further up they are actually at the top of my legs now, they do not have the same Height as ANH legs it seems in the front. The shoulders are going to set a little far from the bridges becasue I have broad shoulders. It is the same for my RS.

front11.jpgright1-1.jpgBack1-1.jpgleft1.jpghelmetoff1.jpgAction1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Guarding the toy room with Lord Vader...

2012-11-24_10-34-14_516.jpg

The vader is a glorified Halloween costume, not 501st ready. I put him together with bits and pieces years ago, I sewed a fabric quilted suit, got a Don post classic action helmet, galaxy trading chest box, shoulder armor, and shin guards, got the cod and belt buckle from I dont remember where on the internet, a wool felt cape and inner robe (not woven) , and made the belt boxes myself. So good enough to stand in the corner, but will need alot of work for 501st if I go that route. That IS a real Heiland on his belt though...(yes I know he really used an MPP flash, but those things are impossible!

Anyway I liked the pic and thought Id share icon_razz.gif

Edited by rhapsodyred99